• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Morse Code Used in a Recent Emergency

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
I noticed over on QRZ.com there is a thread about the title subject. I thought it was interesting since there was a thread on another website with a hot and heavy discussion on Morse Code. One obvious No-coder cattily posted, "Name ONE instance where Morse has been used to save a life"! Trouble is, I forgot what site it was! :? LOL!

The article quoted was about a boater who used Morse (flashlite?) to notify nearby marina that he was sinking!

CWM

C W Morse said:
I noticed over on QRZ.com there is a thread about the title subject. I thought it was interesting since there was a thread on another website with a hot and heavy discussion on Morse Code. One obvious No-coder cattily posted, "Name ONE instance where Morse has been used to save a life"! Trouble is, I forgot what site it was! :? LOL!

The article quoted was about a boater who used Morse (flashlite?) to notify nearby marina that he was sinking!

CWM
Damn.......I'm finally in agreement with you CWM! Evedently that poster either forgot or don't have a clue about Naval warfare when they used Morse via (shutter spots?) from ship to ship (or shore). Also in WW1 and 2, Morse was used alot and no doubt saved thousands of lives. So I guess that would more than fill his "ONE instance" quota, don't ya think? ;)

PLUTO said:
C W Morse said:

CWM
Damn.......I'm finally in agreement with you CWM! Evedently that poster either forgot or don't have a clue about Naval warfare when they used Morse via (shutter spots?) from ship to ship (or shore). Also in WW1 and 2, Morse was used alot and no doubt saved thousands of lives. So I guess that would more than fill his "ONE instance" quota, don't ya think? ;)

:D :D

CWM

station 716 said:
Learning code is still getting the best of me....

I don't know if this will help, but there used to be a word association method I ran into years ago that went something like this.

X = an hourglass _
X
_

Here's the "TOP"

Here's a grain of sand inside
Here's a grain of sand that's come down thru

Here's the bottom of the glass.

Read from top to bottom _ .. _ ! :D

Question Mark = .. - - .. or Ditty dum dum Ditty! :D

G= a goldfish bowl _ = the top of the bowl, _ = the water level, and . is the fish. Read from top to bottom _ _ .

V= a headache powder (if you remember the old Vanquish commercial!) di-di-di-da ..._

Anyway, there might be variations of this method. It's not something you can write out. Like the CW, it is a SOUND association mostly and also using some word associations, too.
It is hard to forget the di-di-dum-dum-diddy (question mark) one you have heard it a few times. I know that one of the things that is hard for some of us is to STOP trying to pick out each and every sound---every "dit" and every "dah". The trick is to associate the entire character with the sound like .- is "A" and when you hear it, you don't sit there thinking "this is an 'A', you write it down without actually thinking about it. You also have to FORGET about the characters you missed; you WILL pick them up later. Have you ever seen that email going around where there is a garbled up paragraph to read? You actually will READ and understand the paragraph even tho it is horribly mispelled!! That's kinda what happens when you stop and try to get every single character while copying Morse; IOW, those missed characters actually mess you up because, since you didn't KNOW them to start with, your brain is supposing that those characters could be ANYTHING and it is visualizing random characters as you go. But if you train yourself to ignore those characters you missed, the finished product will be readable and you can fill in the missing letters in the final copy. Even the old railroad and landline telegraphers did this!

I know this might not help or be part of your difficulty, but stick with it, You WILL get it, and you will also get a feeling of satisfaction and achievement when it DOES come to you. Once you cross the "bridge", it will seem so easy!!! :D

Good luck!

CWM

That's the way a Ham friend taught me many years ago. I would sit with him while he studied by listening to the sounds on tape. He used word/sentence association for each letter, comma, full stop, ect. An example would be: .-.. dit dah dit dit, then he would say "the hell with it" I guess the reasoning would be the rhythm is the same and the word "hell" rhymes with "L". It's a strange way to learn it.....but it works, even I started started catching on to it. Before then, it was just a bunch of beeping noises to me.

although was not life threatning..

couple years ago i was in lake havasu with my brother and a 2 friends....

we had seen another boat sinking on a sand bar (were many boats including my patoon boat on the oat ride back to shoresand bar)..

anyways these girls were in no harm but we were at least a 45 minute back to shore..

so i said come on aboard..
that back to shore and as it happened we broke down, being at least a mile from shore in any direction..

well...
there had been a marine patrol that drove by a couple of times..
as were also a couple of police boats..

so naturally we yelled....honked the horn etc and nothing

then i saw a coast gauard cutter and remembered..
AHH they know code
(they also had ignored our yelling out to them...and got the same waving back the police and marine patrols gave us)

so i honked out a S.O.S.
they spun right around ASAP and called a tow boat to get us

so the code got though where all other attempts failled

Ahh and what had made my boat fail..
seems the girls in climbing aboard had lossened the fuel lines
i thought i had checked it and thought it was ok after we broke down....guess i missed it though

so i guess there are times code still are usefull
but ofcourse those instances are dwindling

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.