• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mosley Mini 33 Beam

Why are you installing the HF antenna ABOVE the satellite array? Convention says to do it the other way around. The azimuth rotator turns everything and the elevation rotator is mounted above the HF antenna and elevates just the satellite array. You also do not have the satellite array firing through the HF antenna that way. Any pix of the existing satellite array and rotator assembly?

Well Change 23, I found a used rotor tray for the tower and have disassembled everything. The Satellite array will be on the very top and the beam about 4' below it. No Gin pole requires a bucket truck to make it easy and he wasn't suppose to come till Tuesday so I redesigned the whole thing. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and as things progress ...

Ok a couple of more pictures, one is the tower and new mast all set and ready for the antenna's. The other is the Antenna's all prepped and ready to go up. The Satellite array will be on the very top of the mast and the beam will be just a bit over 4' below the array. Cant wait to get them up on the tower !!!

Tower.JPG

Antenna.JPG

Ok I got sick of waiting on a damn bucket truck so I did it the old fashion way. What a pain in the butt, but its up and working.

Antenna-1.JPG
Antenna-2.JPG
Antenna-3.JPG
Antenna-4.JPG
Antenna-5.JPG
Antenna-6.JPG
Antenna-7.JPG
Antenna-9.JPG

(y)

Initial signal reports. I contacted KE9RY with the beam pointed in his direction and I get the same report with the Mosley Mini 33 beam at 100 watts that I get on my wire loop with 1500 watts. I will do more testing tomorrow.

I have already noticed I dont get much side or rear attenuation at all, but I kind of expected that after reading reviews, and the size of the antenna.

To Be Continued in a day or so...

Looking good, Can I hire you to put my beam up LOL. What is the mast made of going up through the tower, looks shiny like aluminum. Point that beam tward PA some time and lets try to get a contact.

AP

Looking good, Can I hire you to put my beam up LOL. What is the mast made of going up through the tower, looks shiny like aluminum. Point that beam tward PA some time and lets try to get a contact.

AP

I dont think you could afford me :) .. The mast is Schedule 40 Pipe 1 1/4 ID. Pretty heavy duty, the first piece I tried 1 1/2" ID was too big in diameter to fit through the pipe in the top of the tower. It was pretty tough getting the pipe inside the tower, lets just say it was a pretty good upper body work out.

Pushing the mast up with the antenna's mounted was a real pain as well, I ended up using Motorcycle tie down straps which worked out well, for the last 12" I used a muffler clamp to clamp the tie down to the top pipe of the tower, then I put a clamp on the mast above that to hold the pipe up while I installed the AZ rotor. I threw a piece of rope over the cross boom on the satellite array to hoist the beam up into position. Raising the mast with all the antennas on it was a real pain, and I am feeling it this morning, I'll be on 20m most of the day today testing and checking the performance of the beam.

Craig

Nope it works pretty well for a small beam and I run about 500 to 700 watts with out a problem. Worked some DX this morning on 15 with 59 + signals into Europe..

Sounds great, I have been wanting one and I will get it in a few months.
At what height is it set at?

Its only about 30' off the ground, my tower is bracketed to the house and its about 8 feet above the peak. Its a small two story house.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.