• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My 1200w/48v EBike Build

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So I was going to go with a 50cc scooter and ride to work occasionally. But since the person I'm living with didn't want it in the house I went another direction.

I picked up one of the last Mongoose Argus ST26 bikes for $399 from Amzn. Has 4" x 26" fat tires and is a 7 speed.

Ordered in from EBikeLing a 1200w/48v kit for $365 using funds from an "amp" sale on here. And used my CC to get the 11.6/48v LiPo battery from the same place for another $369. Came with the cheap 3 speed LED controller as the LCD was out of stock. I ordered the LCD the next day when they restocked (not here yet), has 5 power levels for pedal assist and a little more top end as most reviews say.

Only mod needed was the rear dropout was 1-2mm to narrow for the fatter axle. So I used a dremel. (y)

So far I got 22.4MPH on a flat level road here in NJ.

Before:
8A138413-EA90-4726-8CFD-95285D2B3235.jpeg

After:

ED4872B8-CE29-4D3B-B6F4-26A765AAE0F7.jpeg
3FBA74FF-F847-4519-8CF9-B796216CAC73.jpeg
4A6737D9-D99C-420D-BDC0-D97A480B4E34.jpeg

What is the weight factor now?

I mean this has got to be getting pretty heavy to lift, let alone the ability to ride and change speed as needed for conditions...I hope it's manageable - because if you wipe out - this can get costly.

Hey...forgot to ask, what about the antenna? What are you going to use?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What is the weight factor now?

I mean this has got to be getting pretty heavy to lift, let alone the ability to ride and change speed as needed for conditions...I hope it's manageable - because if you wipe out - this can get costly.

Hey...forgot to ask, what about the antenna? What are you going to use?

Weight hasn't really changed. The kit was like 17 lbs. the bike was 43 lbs.

You can still change gears and use regular.

Also pedal assist let's you play with gearing as well and you can do little assist on setting 1 or max assist on 9. You can still get a workout or not.

Road test tomorrow. My next day off.

Will try and do videos.

So road test was interesting. Battery wasn't fully charged. Went 13 miles full level 9 throttle. Battery was at like 47% when I got home and let it settle back in. (Said like 17% with motor in use at that point).

Top speed was higher at 32.1 miles per hour on flat (than 22mph with old LED control panel) when I first went out at 96% battery, and for a good portion 20-25mph was cake.

As it wound down power wise it still did like 20-22mph without issue till I got home. (y)

I did have the led head light on the whole ride for safety sake so I'm sure that had some draw to it. (Like 0.8amps @ 48v level)

Opted to order a 48v-12v converter for the headlight, proper scooter horn, and a set of 12v LED tail/marker lights. I also ordered a motorcycle style switch as well for these.

I'm figuring out the more things to be visible even during the day is worth the $40 or so of addons.

Stay tuned for pics. Parts due in tomorrow and Friday.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated