• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My barefoot station

What's the best mic for my Uniden 980.

• Stock mic

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Power mic

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
Well said Gary. People need to get over this idea that a power microphone is better than a stock mike because it is louder. Louder is not necessarily better. Yeah I know I know.....this is 11m and I speak blasphemy but it's true. Most modern radios have more than enough audio gain and thus an amplified microphone is NOT necessary. If the audio response of the microphone is better then the overall sound will be better regardless if the microphone used is amplified or not. Many amplified microphones sound like crap compared to the stock mike and vice versa. The reason is NOT whether the mike has an amplifier in it but rather the quality of the microphone element and associated circuitry.
As an experiment and to check-out the "hoop-la", I recently purchased a non-powered Stryker SR-65BC Noise Cancelling Microphone and attached it to my Stryker 955 base station radio and my Stryker 447 mobile radio in my truck. All responses were to use the original microphone because the audio on the SR-65BC was much lower than the stock microphones. Adjusting the mic gain was no help. When I tested the mic on the mobile unit, I had parked the ruck on a wide open parking lot and talked with the same base station.
There is a cost of experimenting!

I like my RF LIMITED 2018 with gain on the mic set about a quarter of the way,and the radio's mic gain set at 2.

With the SRA 198 I run the radio's mic gain at 3. I get good reports with both.

Even the stock mic sounds fine to me, I just gotta figure out where I put it.

I have heard a couple guys using the uniden wireless mic and it sounds good to me.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.