• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First Attempt At A Mobile Antenna

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
Made a mobile antenna for the first time. Seems to work well for both local and DX.
SWR:

25.615 ------------- 1.5:1
27.205 ------------- <1.1:1
28.305 -------------- 1.2:1

4119.jpg
4117b.jpg

Any thoughts?

hell yea :)

looks great . very similar to z mans gator antenna , but his has a copper tubing coil .
he sold a lot of them ..................... ;)

I just do it for myself. I plan further changes to it, but this is the current configuration. I intend to make the copper tube shafts aluminum bar. Also, I want to see if I can manufacture an epoxy spacer for it instead of the PVC.

Are you concerned that it won't bend along the length - due to hitting something - or a sudden stop?!?

Curious . . .
Congrats . . .

That's one reason it is currently on the fender. If by further work I can get it shorter without loosing what seems to be great ears I want to put it on top of the SUV on a multiple magnet mount.
It has already encountered tree limbs on the SS whip and done fine, and I drove it today for over an hour in excess of 70 MPH twice and it did well.

But it does concern me.

Thanks

Homer -

your antenna has excellent SWR because the coil is located above the top of the roof of your mobile. A loaded antenna (one with a coil) radiates from the top of the coil. The stinger is there ONLY to provide matching to as close to 1:1 as possible. Increasing the wire size (or surface area) of the coil will increase the bandwidth and keep the swr low over a wider freq range. Your antenna is excellent in this respect. Increasing the diameter of the stinger will also increase your 2:1 bandwidth, which is a good thing. Disregard the Bullsh-- posts from persons in this forum who don't have a clue.

Last edited:
Homer -

your antenna has excellent SWR because the coil is located above the top of the roof of your mobile. A loaded antenna (one with a coil) radiates from the top of the coil. The stinger is there ONLY to provide matching to as close to 1:1 as possible. Increasing the wire size (or surface area) of the coil will increase the bandwidth and keep the swr low over a wider freq range. Your antenna is excellent in this respect. Increasing the diameter of the stinger will also increase your 2:1 bandwidth, which is a good thing. Disregard the Bullsh-- posts from persons in this forum who don't have a clue.

I have the means of increasing the stinger diameter, in fact, at least a couple choices in the shop (garage). I am always surprised with any success I get.
And thanks.

you could do copper pipe all the way to the top , make a copper coil , have it all copper and make the coil either out of soldered pieces or a single turned section of copper pipe from base to tip .
or do 9 feet of copper pipe , just don't drive with 9 feet of copper pipe on your roof !!! LOL

I wonder if filling the antenna pipe/tube with urethane foam - the kind that is used for home insulation - wouldn't give it more rigidity. Having some rigidity is better than copper pipe on its own. Just a thought.

Homer -

Your antenna design is good...just keep things within design parameters for the freq you're looking to work. Otherwise, look to keep the 2
:1 bandwidth as wide as possible using the techniques we discussed earlier.

I wonder if filling the antenna pipe/tube with urethane foam - the kind that is used for home insulation - wouldn't give it more rigidity. Having some rigidity is better than copper pipe on its own. Just a thought.

Not so lonely a thought as you may think. I've actually considered it.

Homer -

Your antenna design is good...just keep things within design parameters for the freq you're looking to work. Otherwise, look to keep the 2
:1 bandwidth as wide as possible using the techniques we discussed earlier.

I tried a different coil diameter, spacings, #'s of coils, copper tubing of 1/4" diameter, and length of the coil itself. I also tried different lengths for the shafts and stinger. This is where I've landed so far and intend to keep steering it in the direction I get best results.

Right now it has tremendous ears, and permits seeming flawless communications both on the local and DX level. That said, I know this is the efforts of a homebrewer who does this for the fun of discovery. My only goal is to see if I can do it, and to get the opinions of those who know more than I do, as well as those as curious as I am. I learn and have fun all at the same time.

Last edited:
if you can here most every station the other folks are hearing and contact most of the folks you try for id say youre doing something right for sure .

HomerBB,
I think you'll find that by increasing the diameter of that loading coil you can decrease it's height with no change in the amount if inductance produced. (That's absolutely normal with coils.) Just reducing the height of the coil isn't going to shorten the antenna much, inches maybe. But, if you also add turns to that coil while increasing it's diameter, you increase the amount of inductance that coil provides. That can be manipulated to shorten the overall height/length of the antenna quite a bit. It's also a fact that shorter-n-wider coils are more efficient that tall skinny ones. so that's another factor you can 'blend' into the 'mix'.
The size and shape of the conductor that makes up that coil does affect the total inductance produced by the coil, but it honestly doesn't play that much importance in things. The size of the conductor affects the current carrying ability (resistive losses) of a coil. Small conductors just aren't going to carry as much current as larger conductors, and that will directly affect the amount of power handling ability of the coil. There's lots of 'wiggle' room in that! Nothing wrong with using larger conductors, but there's a point where 'over-kill' get's to be a little ridiculous. It doesn't contribute any practical electrical benefit, but it can contribute to the mechanical benefit of the antenna, it's usually stronger. The 'shape' of that conductor making up the coil just isn't a big deal at all. It can make -some- differences, but nothing significant. It can certainly change the appearance of the antenna, and if that's important to you, then it can 'improve' things in that regard.
Copper, aluminum, steel, cast iron, whatever, are all conductors and can be used to make an antenna. The biggy is the strength and flexibility of those conductors when they are subjected to stress. Copper just isn't the strongest or most flexible stuff around. That's one reason why it isn't used for mobile antennas that are subject to lots of stress, or hitting things, it doesn't recover from those 'hit's so good. Sure, there are differences in different metal's conductivity, but those differences are negligible for practical purposes.
And one thing that is very important that isn't a really commonly thought about thingy is the insulation used with antennas. Those insulators have to withstand the power being used, and are really more important than the size/shape of the conductors used in that antenna. If that insulator is also used to support things (at the base of the antenna or inside that loading coil) then it also has to be pretty strong. That will certainly narrow the field and increase the cost of things! The 'best' insulation material depends on how it's used, what forces it's subjected to. The 'best' insulation material I can think of is 'Delrin'. But you had better sit down before checking prices!! That stuff can be machined just like metals, is at least as strong as anything else I can think of, and works just dandy. But mercy! It's expensive. Probably the one reason why you don't see it used very much.
Lots of things go into the design of an antenna. Just when you think you've got a really good one, you find one more thingy that could be improved. @#$, just like females...
- 'Doc

(There's nothing 'new' in any of that, same old thing that's been around forever almost.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.