• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First Attempt At A Mobile Antenna

HomerBB

How did you get the coil to those sizes diameters

1st - 8" w/3" coil diameter
2nd - 6" w/6" coil diameter
3rd - 4" w/8" coil diameter

Because I see you rapped the flat bar around what looks like a 5 inch pvc. And I think the 8,6,and 4 is the length.

HomerBB

How did you get the coil to those sizes diameters

1st - 8" w/3" coil diameter
2nd - 6" w/6" coil diameter
3rd - 4" w/8" coil diameter

Because I see you rapped the flat bar around what looks like a 5 inch pvc. And I think the 8,6,and 4 is the length.

The 3" coil I wrapped around a 2.5" pipe, then worked the resultant 2.75" coil (due to springiness) out manually to 3".

The other two I wrapped around the PVC pipe you'll see in the photos I posted, then they simply found the proper diameters by the number of wraps I worked them to on the antenna itself. After mounting them I simply adjusted their shapes manually.

Last edited:
Thanks alot HomerBB

Have got the parts. They came up to about $22.00 bucks. Will cut and drill everything shortly maybe take about an hour....:D I hope.

Those really short/3 ft antennas are a real waste of time and money - IMO. Just because someone sells them - doesn't make them useful.

If I could convince someone to provide you with a new silver load 3' antenna for testing purposes would you agree to do a full video review and side by side comparison for the forum? I think it would be very helpful and I feel certain it would be yours to dispose of as you wished.

Serious offer.

Maybe Robb would like a 3' Silverload.
What do you think of them? Just Curious . . .

I think just as most things in life, they have their place.

As the creator of this thread, if you would be interested in my offer and would like the opportunity to provide some forum education then I should certainly extend the offer to you first and if not then open it to others.

Maybe Robb would like a 3' Silverload.
What do you think of them? Just Curious . . .

I gave two 5 ft Silverloads to friends of mine out here in CA. Not a bad antenna at all - IMO. Just didn't need them - and they did. They are nice antennas. Just don't like 'shortie' antennas.

Like what you've done with this homebrew Homer.
Nice!

Don't worry GLR; I'm about to do a review of the Magnum 1012 whenever they send it to me . . .
PS - I send it back after the review:laugh:

Don't worry GLR; I'm about to do a review of the Magnum 1012 whenever they send it to me . . .
PS - I send it back after the review:laugh:

Looking forward to that one...can't imagine what place in life that thing has though.

Enough thread hijacking, my apologies.

Just wanted to share. Not trying to hijack your thread.

Attachments

• S4010101A.jpg
    S4010101A.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 7
  • S4010103A.jpg
    S4010103A.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.