• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My first Cobra 200GTL an absolute nightmare

he bought it from some shop they did it up for him and he also got a d104 with it
I say he was crazy LOL but then again these people that dont know any better are all crazy I talked to him tonight he payed $630.00 something for it with the D104 still nuts as far as I am concerned but if its what he wanted so be it to each there own I guess

I did not get a chance to test it on any other antenna yet becouse the last time it blew I did not have my maco. waiting a week or so here to get some more trasistors for the radio then it will be on the maco. Can't wait to get it up and going! Anyway the second time I blew the driver I had my antron temporarily setup 15' off the ground and ungrounded. A storm rolled threw that night and I woke up and it was smoked. Nothing realy close even got hit by lightning but ther was enough static to take it out. the last time i blew it out I left the house after talking on it and I was in a hurry so forgot to disconect it from the antenna. It was a sunny day to so i thought nothing of it. i was in town for about an hour and it started geting dark and stormy and lightning was flying left and right and I knew becouse the storm had already hit by my house so it was toasted again. So all the times it has blown it has been my fault for not disconecting it but its the only radio I have ever had blow like that.

Try using a cobra M75 mic on it, and you should be OK. Both of mine work great, so..... Absolutely 0 problems. One is tuned perfectly,and has some BIG audio! :LOL: :D The other one is just turned up a little, and aligned. Not getting rid of them any time soon.

Sorry to hear about yours. I'm sure it's fixable with the right tech doing the work. Have you tried sending it out to Bob yet? Best of luck.

gotta local here with one.sounds terrible on ssb.sounds like hes gotta cold.[nasualy]on am its fair.recieve is worse.and his
had all the new updates to it.told him should have got rid
of it and got something decent.magnum or rci

my main gripe with the s9 was its complete lack of cross channel rejection. i bought it as a base radio to use next to my kenwood. the main drawback to ham rigs is there not intended to be pounded on with higher power in close ranges. in order for me to use it (even just recieving) i always had to run the recieve so tight with the 20db pad that i would lose long range contacts.

with the s9 i would be sitting on out local channel 21 here in cloquet and 3-4 blocks away bone stock radios would be blanketing my recieve. it would hear fine as long as it was used away from contact with other radios. another gripe was the volume knob, it seemed like the first 1/4 would barely raise the volume and anymore it woulb be blairing loud, it was impossiable to set low enough for me to have on and not disturb the wife in the other room. i had to lose my good speaker (a small bose sattellite) and run some crappy speaker with a volume control.

there are many more things i could add but just to save my time and yours dont buy a new or old magnum. the old ones were junk, the new ones are junk.

i ended up using my favorite mobile radio of all time a grant xl (well i like the 148's looks better). local 10m net use was handeled with my 2950 in the truck.

well i would have sent it back for repair.these radios are
far from junk.ive had magnums side by side with rangers.
and the magnums were every bity as good as the rci.even
better people that were low on the rci i could hear better
on the magnum.audio reports were also better on the magnum
on all modes

rci's are crap to. magnums are like all exports. they are just alligators, all mouth and no ears. there is no reason to take a brand new radio and send it in for repair, for the price you pay it should work right everytime.

Carl said:
rci's are crap to. magnums are like all exports. they are just alligators, all mouth and no ears. there is no reason to take a brand new radio and send it in for repair, for the price you pay it should work right everytime.
in a perfect world you would be correct...lol

I have never had a Galaxy or RCI that did not have a great receive. Besides i dont think you can blame any radio ( most i say not all ) for poor ears because most CB shops dont tune the receive, only the power. Any one with half a brain knows to tune the receive after the conversion from 10 meters to 11 meters.......dont they?

you must have a tanted s9. mine works great for long distance receive and transmit , most do when there not touched by so-called techs:p
and yes any radio thats jumped over to 11 meters should be realigned ...course most don't know this and this is why they are
strong with opinions...

course, I know what i am doing!

peeps should learn to work there own stuff first, then post opinions about a 300+ dollar sweet radio...course most HAM operators do this... and should stay out of 11 meters they don't belong there anymore...remember your to good for that CB shit now :p

on the other hand, some peeps should stay out of the radio!

Remember this is just my opinion, and I am a full supporter of galaxy and magnum radios till the end of the world...

and how did we go from a cobra200 to this?????

and how did we go from a cobra200 to this?????-i said i was sorry :naughty, oh yeah, did i say cobra 200's $u*&....

export radio

I dont have any trouble with my magnum 257, good audio and receive, although the noise blanketer leaves something to be desired, but most do, only radio on cb which has a good nb is the hr2600...

DOCTOR/795 :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.