• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My first Cobra 200GTL an absolute nightmare

Robalo said:
Back in feb. 2006 i got a cobra 200gtl from Wizard, the radio never works on hi and when i called him he was a very impolite person. He sold me a used radio with alot scratches, He may be a good tech but bad customer service. If it wasnt for that incident i'd buy one of the new base amps 1k or 2k. Then I sent the radio to Justin a couple times to have it fixed. bottom line i spent over $600 and its still not working.
you got to be kidding me? when you called me you insinuated that i sold you a used radio. the radio was new I am not the manufacturer, i cannot help if there was a small scratch on the chrome SORRY! you were insulting my integrity, with your attitude and lack of respect.......who would want to deal with you. I have never ripped off anyone and always treat people with the same respect they give me. so you need to learn people skills before you start throwing stones.

Well mine was on a flight home yesterday and home (at Cobra) is where its staying then its off to something new S-9 or whatever. I really did like the layout of that radio and its featuires maybe cobra will pull there heads otta there asses and make a better upcoming product. R.I.P Cobra 200 DX

DTB Radio said:
wizard said:
I am a Galaxy out of warranty tech

I was told that you asked to be removed from that list because the work load was too high. Did that change? Or did you forget to add "former" to that part of the signature, lol?

if i was taken off the list....it is news to me, cause i get work from them alll the time.

Galaxys that require repair or warranty work cmon now lmao you mean that warble of the SSB on the 88 and 99 wasnt supposed to be like that?? There was to other radios that I really like the layout and looks but 1 out of 20 actually sounded good on SSB Dave are you good with getting these to sound peachy on SSB?? I would consider one if it was guaranteed to sound good in audio quality on SSB. What is a good time to call to talk to you Dave?? I know you guys are busy like the other reputable shops. ;)

bigred222 said:
I was at a cb shop near me and a guy came in asking about the 200. i know nothing about radios, but he told and showed me a picture of this MICROTHIN special Resistor they make for i think this radio, the tech at the cb shop said this radio is a BITCH to work on, you need special SOLDER, SPECIAL GUN, and A MICROSCOPE TO SEE THE DAMN THING!!!! this guy says he doesnt buy this radio anymore to sell because 9/10 of them he sold got RETURNED!!!!!!

Big red on this 2547 is sittin on the side
PEACE
and 73's
The reason the guy gets so many back is he probably doesn't understand the radio. It seems he already has it out for it due to SMT. I know it is a touchy critter to tune and can be overdone. I have sold.....I lost count, I've had two come back. One because the channel selector locked up (something broke inside), the other was shorted out by a shop installing a noise toy in it. Warranty fixed both (I was very surprised on the second one) and the turnaround was very fast.

well you tell me?? i told him that was crazy but they made it sound like a sweet deal all the work done and a microphone which is just an astatic d104. I use to laugh when I heard that some truckstop radio shops were getting $500.00 fo an RCI 2970 :shock: :LOL:

You need to leave right now and go buy a lotto powerball ticket because you must be a luckey person. The problems with the Cobra 200 are well known and documented all over the net. Alot of shops will not even open one up for you if you bring it in for a tune or repair.

Lords, for that kind of money I say go for it. You can tinker with it and in the end if you don't like it you can still move it down the road and not loose any money.

"Back in feb. 2006 i got a cobra 200gtl from Wizard, the radio never works on hi and when i called him he was a very impolite person. He sold me a used radio with alot scratches, He may be a good tech but bad customer service. If it wasnt for that incident i'd buy one of the new base amps 1k or 2k. Then I sent the radio to Justin a couple times to have it fixed. bottom line i spent over $600 and its still not working. "

No offense there dude but you should have sent in back to Cobra right from the start for free warranty work. How in the world do you have 600 dollars in a 260 dollar radio?

Lords, for that kind of money I say go for it. You can tinker with it and in the end if you don't like it you can still move it down the road and not loose any money.

You got it...if it wasn't for that cheap price I wouldn't buy one...
and as you said most had a problem on high...the only thing I seen on the tech updates was to change out the HF50-12F MOSFET which ain't mosfets...lol
and add 2- 2290's along with 2- 120 ohm 2W resistors

poor Cobra you almost have to pull a hit or miss(on working great)
on there newer radios....

Hardhead said:
I love my 200.
Of course I got it from DTB.
No problems.

who works on your radio will have a big effect on its performance . i doubt any tech can turn a sows ear into a silk purse but a bad one can certanly turn a silk purse into a sows ear . i dont recall hearing anyone complaining about the cobra 200's they got from DTB . some Super techs are Wacked out and will Pack what ever crap they can to make it swing to impress the highly impresssionable . and then the Placebo effect takes over .

courtesy of wikipedia :
Placebo effect is the term applied by medical science to the therapeutical and healing effects of inert medicines and/or ritualistic or faith healing manipulations. When referring to medicines, placebo is a preparation which is pharmacologically inert but which may have a therapeutical effect based solely on the power of suggestion. It may be administered in any of the ways in which pharmaceutical products are administered.

some are more susceptible to the effect than others . it can also apply to many (but not all) comments on swing kits , 102-10k-1000/5000 antenna debates , class c amp brands and radios with the same circuit boards (not including + or - belles and whistles) . many folks will believe what they want to believe or think they are supposed to believe .

well not to say this is the reason why some of these radios
use a single final and 2-2290's ...thats a problem leveling it out just enough for 11 meter band not to say pulling a SMT and placing it somewhere else on the board...(it takes a steady hand, and for some need a good ground because of the resistance in the body)

tell next week when ....lets figure out why our first 200GTL
was a mess....

MAybe cobra don't care what happens to this unit after being on the 2 min testing 30.000 dollar testing machine..lol

Maybe there is a galaxy member working there, causing havoc...lol..lol

or maybe someone didn't get that radio new, and thought it was new, and the seller said it was new, and it was the srllers guinea pig unit to see if the conversion was eas(which it is BTW) :)

Peace!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.