• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My first radio

Texaspete359

Sep 12, 2018
just a little history of my first radio I ever bought when I got into the hobby it was pretty beat up when I got it but the faceplate was in great shape so I threw a sticker on it. Was a great radio for me. Made a lot of contacts on it. My first contact on it was red rock up in Tennessee. Only thing I didn’t like was it had one of those stingers in it because I was wanting one original but for 45 bucks I couldn’t pass it up[photo=large]5159[/photo]

A7785A2C-E630-45BC-80EA-6EDE48D25E52.jpeg

Mine was an E.F.Johnson 123a white noise n bla bla. Then discovered a cb radio shop.gave $75 for radio n hustler trunk mount antenna,radio shop billed me $20 to install the switch in back to get 20 watts n adjusted it 9nside to reduce the white noise

Reactions: 357magnum
Tp , Nice radios for sure ! Your mobile with all those Nitro Knobs looks like it could light up a Walmart Parking Lot ! :D That 2k is Sweet ! Iv'e been told mine is a 9 out of 10 , that one looks like a 10 out of 10 ! Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Reactions: Rwb and S&W357
Tp , Nice radios for sure ! Your mobile with all those Nitro Knobs looks like it could light up a Walmart Parking Lot ! :D That 2k is Sweet ! Iv'e been told mine is a 9 out of 10 , that one looks like a 10 out of 10 ! Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo
They are nice but I promised myself I would never put them back on a radio . We’re nice and fun at first but then I thought to myself “ why would I put those on “ lol

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
Gonset G12 running off old car battery and noisy noisy old battery charger that filled the room up with Hydrogen Gas that demanded the window be opened. Antenna was a 102 inch whip taped to a pipe.

gonset_g12.jpg

Oh 1966 great stuff for a creppy teenage kid

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

My first radio was a sears roadtalker slant face. It didnt have a plug on the red and black wires so i spliced an extension cord on to it, plugged it in the wall socket and was excited. Turned the radio on and zap crack, poof. With a bright light and a ploom of smoke the radio was dead. Lol. I was 14 yrs old. Thats when i also learned about ac and dc voltage. Hahaha

Last edited:
Realistic TRC-11. 6 channels of fun and almost 4 watts of raw AM power. Ran it off two lantern batteries in series and into a co-phase mobile antenna setup that came off Dad's car leaning against the wall. No ground plane? No problem! No range, either.

Ok a little more info here, I forgot to add. The Gonset G12 Tube CB Radio sucked a lot of battery current thats why I had a battery charger charging when I was operating. I had to take the battery out of Dads truck to run it. So that meant the battery had to be reinstalled back into Dads truck before he went to work the next morning. And the battery acid eat a large hole in the carpet from boiling over, yeah I got told about that.

Dear ol Dad never said any thing about it, but I know he pushed the truck out of the driveway to roll down hill to start the truck due to the battery being to low to start. I am sure he thought it was good hobby for me to get into, thanks Dad!

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.