• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Forum Introduction...

DXHUM

Aug 22, 2019
Hello.

My name is Nick and I reside in the North East United States. I have always been fascinated by short wave radio and found it to be exciting to tune in late at night and hear people from around the world. But with the advancement of technology; the internet, cell phones and such, short wave radio feels as if it has become quieter over the last 30 years. And so, my interest wained.

I have two radios:

The first is an old Radio Shack DX-394 (http://ve5kc.amateur-radio.ca/ftp_files/DX-394-owners-manual.pdf). It comes with its own telescopic antenna (much like the kind you find on AM/FM transistor radios), but also has Low-Z and High-Z antenna ports.

The second is a much more sophisticated iCom R8500. With this receiver, I also have what I believe is described as a Di-Pole antenna:
Photo on 8-28-19 at 2.14 PM.jpg

Currently, I have the Eavesdropper antenna strung across my attic, north to south.

I would like some guidance on how to deploy this equipment, allowing me to listen to a wide range of frequencies.

Thank you in advance,

Nick

Reactions: S&W357

That antenna is a trapped multi band dipole and will Rx best at right angles to its length. Get it as high as possible.
I don't think it comes with a coax cable to connect to the radio. any 50 to 75 ohm coax will work.

Try it out next Tuesday at about 7 PM EST on 5130 KHz WBCQ.

You may actually hear some of us there and/or you can call in by phone and chat.

will Rx best at right angles to its length.

Can you explain that a bit more?

Currently, I have 75 ohm coax connecting it to the receiver, which is located on the top floor of the house.

So the coax connecting the antenna to the receiver runs perpendicular to the antenna.

Very detailed video. It provides mathematical formulas to calculate wavelength. Very technical and a bit advanced for my skill level.

It also gets into the transmission of radio signal, but as a listener, I am more interested in deployment for listening.

Perhaps as I gain more experience, this video will make more sense.

So again, "at right angles to it's length", does that mean the antenna should be mounted vertically?

Thank you for posting.

Very detailed video. It provides mathematical formulas to calculate wavelength. Very technical and a bit advanced for my skill level.

It also gets into the transmission of radio signal, but as a listener, I am more interested in deployment for listening.

Perhaps as I gain more experience, this video will make more sense.

So again, "at right angles to it's length", does that mean the antenna should be mounted vertically?

Thank you for posting.
Welcome! It means that the signal is off the sides and not the ends.

Reactions: DXHUM
Welcome on board, Nick.

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to get a kick out of listening to shortwave. In the late 1950s, my uncle had an electronics shop. Everything was tube back then. He also was into shortwave.

The bug passed on to me. A few years back, my wife bought me a Radio Shack DX 390 shortwave receiver for Christmas. I toyed with a bunch of different antennas, but finally gave up finding it easier to just use the on-board telescoping one. I'm still picking up tons of European, Asian, Russian and South American stations.

Reactions: Riverman and DXHUM
Greetings NICK: Welcome! Sorry did not mean to overload you with info, right out of the gate.
I, however, seen you ask the question and tried to give you some info based on your antenna.
The pictures I posted were some basic configurations as to how a dipole may be configured.
There are many ways to utilize the dipole for a given location, all will work for receiving.
Please note that for simple receiving all configurations will work. The method simply is what is practical for your given location.
The trap dipole you have is set-up to receive multiple frequencies within the shortwave bands.
The traps simply break up each segment to try and optimize certain frequencies.
The dipole outdoors is always better than one indoors. This does not mean the attic set-up will not work, it will. The dipole antenna outdoors at greater height will work or should hear better than one indoors if it practical to do so.
The "broadside" direction off the side is the greater capture area, this does not mean it does not receive off the ends.
Again Welcome, many here to help!
All the Best
Gary

Nice Blog below!
https://www.swling.com/

http://www.solareagle.com/PREP/Shortwave Radio Guide IV.pdf

Lots of info here. Much to digest but given your interest look around to see what you need and keep the link as your interest grows.
https://kv5r.com/ham-radio/shortwave-antennas/

This Operator is a REAL RIP, but very knowledgeable and uses layman's terms.

Greetings NICK: Welcome! Sorry did not mean to overload you with info, right out of the gate.
I, however, seen you ask the question and tried to give you some info based on your antenna.
The pictures I posted were some basic configurations as to how a dipole may be configured.
There are many ways to utilize the dipole for a given location, all will work for receiving.
Please note that for simple receiving all configurations will work. The method simply is what is practical for your given location.
The trap dipole you have is set-up to receive multiple frequencies within the shortwave bands.
The traps simply break up each segment to try and optimize certain frequencies.
The dipole outdoors is always better than one indoors. This does not mean the attic set-up will not work, it will. The dipole antenna outdoors at greater height will work or should hear better than one indoors if it practical to do so.
The "broadside" direction off the side is the greater capture area, this does not mean it does not receive off the ends.
Again Welcome, many here to help!
All the Best
Gary

Hey Gary,

I do appreciate all the help. I imagine myself one day becoming licensed to transmit as well. But being able to deploy my current equipment to listen, I hope will satisfy the appetite I have rediscovered where DXing is concerned.

No explanation is required; I asked for help and you provided it.

Thank you!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.