• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Interceptor 10k review (w.pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gc505

Sep 22, 2008
At another member's request, here is my review of my new Interceptor 10k base antenna. It is installed on top of my tower at about 100 feet.

The detailed instructions were easy to follow and assembly took about 30 minutes. Tuning was a breeze using the included fine-tune instructions from Jay and Steve. I have a flat 1.0 SWR across the 40 channels and a 1.5 at 26.4050 and 27.8550.

This thing is built like a rock, yet it only weighs about 14 lbs. I've owned/installed several vintage Super Penetrators over the years and this heavy duty thing makes them feel like plastic toys.

I put the I-10k in place of a two year old Imax2000 and the improvement in both transmit and receive is amazing. Before the Imax2k I had a Super Penetrator 500 in it's place and the I-10k seriously outperforms it also. I'm making solid ground wave contacts over 100 miles away with around 2kw that I couldn't think of making with either of the aforementioned antennas.

I spent nearly a year researching the I-10k before handing over the asking price ($377.00 shipped), including talking to many current I-10k owners. All I have heard was extreme praise about it's performance, and all the I-10k's I've heard on the air were doing some serious ass kicking in skipland. Interestingly enough, the only negative reports I've read or heard about the I-10k were from people who did not actually own one.

Bottom line - I feel justified in spending nearly $400 for a ground plane antenna. I couldn't be more happy with it, it has exceeded all my expectations and certainly lived up to the hype. I'm 100% pleased and I would highly recommend the antenna to anybody demanding the absolute best.

-GC505/W9SFA

The hairpin matching/tuning system:

2.jpg

Installing the I-10k:

4.jpg

Completed installation:

11.jpg

Close up of final installation:

6.jpg

Last edited:

On another "forum" you posted that you have contacts on AM at twice the distance stated here which I do not believe to be ground wave or direct wave seeing how the limiting factor would be the horizon but more likely short range skip.

On another "forum" you posted that you have contacts on AM at twice the distance stated here ... the limiting factor would be the horizon
The contact I mentioned on the other forum was around 200 miles (View image: Benton, IL to Fowler, IN) which falls squarely into the above mentioned "over 100 miles".

If you feel that ground wave contact on a clear, quiet morning is impossible with 1700 watts between an antenna at 100 feet and an 8 element directional yagi at 70 feet located 200 miles away, that's simply an uneducated opinion. Look at the math:

When factoring the limits of the horizon one must consider the following: My station is 470' above sea level
(source) with the antenna an additional 100', totaling 570' above sea level. Online research reveals that Fowler IN is 820' above sea level (source) and the other station indicated his tower was 70' tall, totaling 890' above sea level.

At these heights, the horizon would not come into play over a mere 200 mile distance. Over 200 miles the earth's curvature is approximately 670' (The earth's curvature is about 16.75' every 5 miles, 16.75 x 40 [5 miles x 40 = 200 miles) = 670'). This puts the two stations within line of sight and above the earth's curvature at 200 miles.

I'm not here to argue about it, if you still don't believe it's possible then you're entitled to your opinion and I'll respect it without a problem.

isnt it scary climbing up the tower how did u carry it up there?
After climbing the tower and strapping myself to the top with a climbers harness, I lowered the Imax2k on a lightweight rope to a friend on the ground. The Imax was untied and the rope attached to the I-10k to be pulled up the tower. The hardest part was standing it up and sliding it onto the mast.

I've never been very afraid of heights and I've climbed the tower enough times to feel secure at the top, but I'll admit when the tower was first erected it took me a while to get past the 40' mark. :)

Without a "Dought", I beleive you made the QSO!

I'm just Wondering where the Weather Station is up there?
Thank's for the clear Pics, and the A+ on the antenna! That's all I needed to make up my mind on the $ amount! Great Job, OM! 73, and Great DX'ing to U!
Anthony,
AKA:4Whiskey-1300. Catch you upstairs some day!

I talked to 505 the other night at about 60 miles with some good groundwave conditions and I am sure he was going way farther than that. You were sounding fine in Indiana!

Glad to see you here! Thanks for the roses. Yep I specifically remember talking to you... I'm not usually very good with handles, but it's hard to forget a handle like "Mr. Clean".
images

I forgot what IN city you were located in. Refresh my memory.

Just outside of Mt Vernon. 15 miles west of Evansville. Hope to get the beam up before it gets cold. Thats a nice tower setup

When factoring the limits of the horizon one must consider the following: My station is 470' above sea level
(source) with the antenna an additional 100', totaling 570' above sea level. Online research reveals that Fowler IN is 820' above sea level (source) and the other station indicated his tower was 70' tall, totaling 890' above sea level.

At these heights, the horizon would not come into play over a mere 200 mile distance. Over 200 miles the earth's curvature is approximately 670' (The earth's curvature is about 16.75' every 5 miles, 16.75 x 40 [5 miles x 40 = 200 miles) = 670'). This puts the two stations within line of sight and above the earth's curvature at 200 miles.

That doesn't even come close to working.

It assumes that the curvature of the earth is at sea level and it isn't.

Nice install and review. I LOVE my I-10K, and you're right the only bad reviews come from those who never had one. I had people tell me I was nuts for spending that much, and one of them went through 3 I-max 2000s, and a super penetrator. He could have bought the I-10K and been done. I've got some pics of mine in a storm somewhere here, but don't have time to dig them up right now.
BTW, are you the same GC that used to be on 15 in Aurora?

Uh oh... somebody who knows me from the "City of Lights and Radio Fights". Yep, same GC from Aurora, now the Agitator Extraordinaire of Southern Illinois. :)

And you are... ?

Gearhead 815. I was on ch15 for years(mud duck), but took a break and got back into radio about 5 or 6 years ago. Only met you once or twice when AJ was still around. Ask anyone still on 15, and they'll tell you who I am.
Man, it's funny, I met this guy today on a motorcycle, and was trying to sell him my old parts, and he asked me if I was from around here and what channel I talk on. Then he asked me if I knew 708 and and some others we all know and said he heard GC moved down south. Said he heard that while he was living in colorado...
Anyway, nice tower and antenna. Mine's only 60 ft. up, but it seems to get out pretty well. I was thinking about adding a few more sections, but I promised them to neighbor for his jo-gunn.

Cool... Interestingly enough, AJ came down here to visit last year and ended up staying in the area. He just bought a couple of houses about 8 blocks from my property, we put up a 50' tower and a Maco v58 at his house today.

I'm talking to him now on our local channel, he said he remembers you and sends a big ole' channel 15 wave. (y)

That doesn't even come close to working.

It assumes that the curvature of the earth is at sea level and it isn't.

That's curvature at water level, not land level, he's just another pom, pom waver and he still did not include his littel bitch session from the other forum about how long it took to get this magical direct wave mutipying antenna either after he had paid for it.

I'm not disputing the antennas worth or abilities just that it will not talk through a hill.

I had made mobile contacts at over 150 miles with a predator 10-k antenna roof mounted on ssb but do you think I'm stupid enough to claim ground or direct wave contact with the other mobile? no. It was a form of skip condition plain and simple and the only way to prove it otherwise is to make your claimed 200 mile contact on a daily basis.

And just because someone is at a higher altitude than you does not mean the elevation of land between the 2 antenna is not higher than the 2 antennas, I called bull shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.