1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

My Latest Antenna Project

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by unit_399, Aug 21, 2011.

1. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

About 9 months ago, I built a 2-element quad antenna. It worked well until the plastic wire retainers on the ends of the spreader arms broke. I pulled down the antenna and made heavier retainers. 3 weeks later one of the bamboo spreader arms broke, so I hauled it down again. All of the bamboo spreaders were brittle and cracked even though I had given them several coats of spar varnish. So, I decided to redo the whole thing. 6 months have passed, and it's finally done.

PICT0045a.JPG

The new quad has spreaders made from extruded aluminum tubing and fiberglas rod. Also, it's a direct feed, but I made a connection box so I can add a 1/4 wavelength of 75 ohm cable if it's necessary. I'm going to put it up on Monday. Hopefully this one will last a little longer.

PICT0041a.JPG

PICT0035A.JPG

PICT0043a.JPG

#1 unit_399, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

399: Love it...looking good OM....
    Nice scenery at your place too...long way from INDY "ye"!;)
    All the Best
    BJ

3. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Looks great, Good job and thanks for the pictures.

4. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

That thing looks great, J.J.
    Makes me want to build another one, too.

5. 74IN

74IN Well-Known Member

No kidding.

We have cows and horses here, but mountains? Here at the lake, we have MT. Baldy, but it's just a big sandpile.

What band is the antenna for, without a reference point, it's hard to tell it's size.

Looks very well built.

6. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

11 meters.

BTW ... on the initial build I used #12 enameled wire that I got from a motor rewind shop. When I pulled the antenna down, a lot of the enamel was missing and the bare copper was corroded. I handled the wire very carefully when assembling the antenna (no kinks, stretching, etc.) I guess the combo of mucho rain and sun down here was too much for it. So this time I used wire with thin teflon insulation. We'll see how it holds up.

- J.J.

7. n0zna

n0zna Digital master

nice,i am going to build a quad or half square antenna...73s from missouri,de jw

8. RickC.

RickC. Hopeless antenna junkie

Me likey! Good job. Keep us posted on how it handles ice.

Rick

9. very nice and clean looking . im really looking forward to hearing your results with it (y)
    nice piece of gods country you got there , beautiful mountain view too . (y)

10. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Active Member

Very nice! Hope to get to hear it.

11. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Finally got caught up enough to pull the guys out of the fields for half a day to get the quad put up. Night and day difference between it and my dipole. 1.3:1 swr on 27.385. I'm very satisfied with the way this project worked out

IMG_1035a.JPG

FINISHED UP JUST BEFORE THE STORM BLEW IN

IMG_1033a.JPG

12. Needle Bender

Needle Bender ...he thinks it's funny that I stepped in it

looks good. how did you tune it for best performance? ill have to listen for you. what freq do you use for sideband? when i bilt my quad i just drilled a 5/8 inch hole all the way thru the 1 3/4 inch boom and used 2 feet of 5/8 16th wall tubing and drilled crosswise next to it for the other spreader tube. i had to drill thru the boom crosswise in the middle of each 5/8 tube for a small bolt to lock them from sliding out of the boom holes. i slotted the ends of the 5/8 tubing and used a automotive compresson clamp to squeez down on the 6 foot long 1/2 inch around fiberglass rod spreaders to tighten the wire. it looks real clean and works perfect

13. man that looks nice . did you notice much or any difference in the noise floor ? did you wind up needing to use 9 ft of 75 ohm coax for it to tune ? what are your wire lengths for the elements ?

14. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Booty -

I designed the antenna for 27.385, and the wire length (driven element) is 36.699 feet. Reflector is about 10% longer. At first, swr was off the scale, but when I added the 75 ohm stub it dropped down to 1.3. The 75 ohm stub is 9.2 feet long. I haven't done any tests, but weak signals came up by about 1 to 2 S-units or so over my dipole. Guys I talk to all the time in the US said I also came up by 1 - 2 S-units on their meters. F/B Ratio isn't important to me because there are very few other (if any) 11 meter operators here.

15. Needle Bender

Needle Bender ...he thinks it's funny that I stepped in it

399 i think you maybe missed my post above bootys. my wire was 432 inches for the driven and 448 for the reflecter. a 1/4 wave of 75ohm should be 9 feet times its velocity facter or more like 81 inches if its vf is 75%. stations in front would hit with 20 and in back they would hit about a s4. the better the tuning of the reflecter the more forward gain you get