• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new toy

Wizard 3cx3000 council unit in the shack.
drifter-albums-radio-stuff-picture1157-wizard-built-3cx3000-shack.jpg

Last edited:

Out of curiosity have you ever put a field strength meter next to it when keyed ?
No..... Why? I know I have about two watts reflected power. Two watts of reflected rf is not hurting anything in my shack . I have my computer with cheap external speakers, a 50" flat screen tv with a surround sound speaker system in the same room. Did you watch the video of the output test? If so did u notice the radio playing music in the background????

Out of curiosity have you ever put a field strength meter next to it when keyed ?
No..... Why? I know I have about two watts reflected power. Two watts of reflected rf is not hurting anything in my shack . I have my computer with cheap external speakers, a 50" flat screen tv with a surround sound speaker system in the same room. Did you watch the video of the output test? If so did u notice the radio playing music in the background while the box was keyed ????
what is that coily looking thing on top of tube :confused:
drifter-albums-radio-stuff-picture1156-wizard-built-3cx3000-rf-deck.jpg

I was just curious. I had a Galaxy amp years ago that read decent on the SWR meter but I looked at the field strength meter and it was showing RF in the shack. Never figured that out.

I think its funny he put the AIR variable on the load side and the vacuum varibale on the tune.

funny.

I wonder how many amps that air variable is rated for.
Don't know and don't care. I don't know why or have a problem with where the tune and load are positioned...I actually like it. Gives the box a unique look. The only thing I care about is It works, and gives the output advertised, and the price is very good. The workmanship is better than most and The man's rep as a builder speaks for itself.(y) Go look at some of his work on You tube.

I was just curious. I had a Galaxy amp years ago that read decent on the SWR meter but I looked at the field strength meter and it was showing RF in the shack. Never figured that out.

You may very well have had "RF in the shack" -- coming in to the shack after being radiated from the antenna through the window or the walls. That's perfectly normal and virtually unavoidable unless you live in a Faraday cage.

Now, if the RF is coming in to the shack via the outside surface of the feedline, THAT'S bad; that's the type you want to avoid.

But you don't want to hamper your antenna's ability to radiate.

You may very well have had "RF in the shack" -- coming in to the shack after being radiated from the antenna through the window or the walls. That's perfectly normal and virtually unavoidable unless you live in a Faraday cage.

Now, if the RF is coming in to the shack via the outside surface of the feedline, THAT'S bad; that's the type you want to avoid.

But you don't want to hamper your antenna's ability to radiate.
I hear you Beetle...I don't have that problem. I have a choke up at the feed point of my Beam.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.