• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new toy

I think its funny he put the AIR variable on the load side and the vacuum varibale on the tune.

funny.

I wonder how many amps that air variable is rated for.

That's the proper way to do it. It's not so much the current as it is the voltage rating.The current handling of an air variable can be increased by adding flexible braid across the rotor bearings so the current does not have to flow thru the bearings. A kilowatt amp can use a multi-section variable from a receiver as a load capacitor but it needs a bigger tune capacitor with a much higher voltage rating. Check out some of the commercial amateur amps and you will always see the higher voltage rated cap in the tune position. Check out this Kenwood TL-922. Note the large spaced air varible in the TUNE position and the much smaller spaced but higher value receiver type cap in the LOAD position.

ampli-tl922-vrbcap-tube.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.