• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new Yaesu VX-170.....

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Got my new Yaesu VX-170 the other day, spent most of yesturday learning the radio and programing in a few repeaters, marine frequencies, and area emergency responder agencies.

Last night....(while still at work).....I snuck out back, found a hig perch to transmit from, and checked into a 2 meter repeater net for the first time in well over 15 years. It was interesting since one of the check-in's was around back when I was first active, and he remembered my call sign. I had forgotten how long winded some of the oldtimers could get, but that was more of an issue because I was sitting on top of a 5,ooo gallon oil storage tank in the damp cold evening air.....

There's deffinitely a learning curve in these new radios, but I'm starting to get the hang of it, by the time I get this HT all figured out, I'll have my 2800M to program, I just hope most of the parameters are the same......

update....

Just installed a Metz coil loaded antenna to the peak of my garage / workshop roof, picked up an SMA to SO-239 adapter so I can use my new HT while I'm out there. Having that antenna up there really makes a differance, before I had to go outside and stand out in the cold to transmit, now I can sit in the comfort of my heated garage....(on a 5 gallon bucket)....and hold a QSO without shivering......:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.