• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

Does this radio have the board EPT00JA-10Z?
I have the Uniden/President Export service manual with this board listed with the original PB042.
Yup; that is the number on the board on this radio.

I'm sorry to be the wet blanket, dark cloud, whatever. But after reading this thread. I'm starting to think that the less technical buyer should avoid this radio entirely. If the radio comes out of the box off frequency and needing the receive fixed. That kind of cancels out its low price and makes it not the best choice for those wanting to buy a working radio..

Radios will often need alignment when coming from the factory. That shouldn't put a damper on this radio. I would buy it from DTB and let him align it if you want it done right. You can have him do the AGC mod; or you can DIY if you have fair soldering skills. That is a pretty cheap fix and no re-alignment is necessary. You might also have him unlock the fine clarifier as well . . .

Reactions: 2 people
According to this manual you need to change the 14.550MHz crystal to 14.745 to get up to 28.500 MHz

Ummm . . . +/-200hz off would make any one sound either like Mickey Mouse or Darth Vader - depending on which way it is shifted.

is it possible to mod this radio so it covers more of the 10 meter band ?

You don't need to change the crystals to get the 10m Ham band. Just clip the red wire. If you want it to go below and above the CB band; then remove the solder bridge.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb all radios should be aligned streight out of the box nowadays. Although that number back in the eighty's was more like 50%. You got to love the Quality control today.:glare:

If you can wire up a mic, Then you can change out those three parts for the AGC modification.

"That kind of cancels out its low price and makes it not the best choice for those wanting to buy a working radio"

What radio works right, Right out of the box? Their all going to need a minor this or that. and being that this radio appears to be an exact copy of the Jackson electrically, And a propper alignment and the AGC modification is all it needs.....Then at that price it is a keeper.

Reactions: 1 person
Lou Frankin's Uniden Export manual is what I referenced from. I just received it this week. It does not mention the 6th band but I believe it is on the low end. I think changing to that crystal would put you between CB channels so you would really want to add .005 to it.

Reactions: rob5 and Mudfoot
It doesn't list one for Jack, only Grant. Go to cbtricks and use the radio index for secret cb. I believe their is more than one clarifier mod.

Here is the section of the Jackson schematic that has the AGC parts for replacement.

C31 is an electrolytic cap that will need to be removed.

The resistors R41, R43, and R47 will need to be changed out with different values:
Remove C31 (.47uf )
Change R43 (10K) to 1k
Change R41 (150K) to 270K
Change R47 (1.5K) to 3.9k

Jackson_zpsf6082755.png

Gave it a quick but much needed freq alignment.
About to do the AGC mod next.
Works fine so far . . . Except for receive overload . . .

Top Picture: Just fired it up!
Bottom Picture: Shows the location of one electrolytic cap with a black mark on the top of it (I put the black mark on it to make it visible to all y'all) in the center of that photo. That is C31 - to be removed. The resistors that need to be upgraded are found to the left, right, and in front of that cap. You will find this location in the center of the radio just slightly twards the back. Easy Peasy...But NOT responsible if you do it wrong...

are you sure on the r41 270k ohm resistor,, another site has it listed as a 270 ohm resistor that is needed??

http://www.oocities.org/siliconvalley/port/1158/jackson.htm

just making sure the original was a 150k ohm, the other site listed the stock one as a 150 ohm, just verifying, i trust you!

this one is wrong then.

1)Change R-43 (10k ohms) to 1k ohm.
2)Change R-41 (150 ohms) to 270 ohms.
3)Change R-47 (1.50kohms) to 3.9k ohms.
4)Remove capacitor C-31.

Got mine about an hour ago...

I wanted to do some frequency mapping, but my little counter is DOA for now.

The first thing I noticed was 3 bottom cover screws were stripped and two top cover screws as well. No big deal, I can remedy that.

The insides of the covers and the chassis itself must have been sitting somewhere for a looooong time. There is some corrosion and discoloration. Also, it smells like an old radio. A large 4"x4" area of componets are glued. The glue is brittle and flaking away at the edges.

The mic jack on the side of the radio has the groove in the 9 O'clock position. Irritates me, as my mics that I want to use have 90 degree connectors on them.

I compared it with my 590 on LSB and it seems to only be off by 60-70 Hz. That ain't to bad. I am seeing 10 watts on AM and about 35 watts PEP on SSB on my Ameritron meter. I'll be able to get better AM/SSB reports from the locals this evening.

I just made 2 contacts on 38 LSB DX and got a decent report with an old school RK 56. I haven't even looked at the stock mic. I'm gonna play it for a few days until I can get into town and pick up parts for the AGC mod. The receive does seem to be quiet as reported.

I didn't cut the red wire. I just sucked up'd the bridged solder and placed some small diameter shrink wrap over the length of it. I didn't heat it, the friction fit is enough to keep it in place and shorting anything out. I'll be able to return it to stock easily if need be.

My intitial conclusion so far:

This is not a radio that I would want to put a bunch of money in. If your able, do your own work. I would suggest buying one from DTB Radio. At a minimum, it will be converted and aligned. I'd like to see his price for the AGC and fine clarifier mods.

For me, this radio fills a nostalgic niche.

Reactions: 2 people
M42:

I noticed the very same things about this radio that you did.
Even that old, funky radio schmell.
If you look at those case screws, I think you will find that they are coarse thread screws! Just put in some computer screws that are fine thread and it is back to stock. That is what I did.

I think this radio definitely needs to have the fine clarifier mod done too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.