• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

Surprise!

I was looking over this radio a little bit and began to notice a few things. They struck me as a bit strange. Look at the photo below on the right side of the photo. Notice the salt water corrosion on the back of the pot? Little white dots on a cadmium plated pot back.

Now - look at the tape on the meter on the left side of the photo.
It has yellowed; even falling off from age.

IOW - This is an old radio with a new faceplate on it.

This also explains WHY it has the MRF477 final in it.

IOW - This IS a REAL Jackson; not a clone.

Surprise - SURPRISE!

Attachments

• PICT0113.JPG
    PICT0113.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 24
I noticed more corrosion as well. I need to probably do a little restoration work. Yes, you can tell it's old. The board was the first thing that caught my eye. You can tell it's an old original one.

I am happy with the money spent. Just going to clean it up a bit. Only mod I plan on doing is fixing the AGC. With a proper alignment and turning the power down some is all its getting. Not even going to unlock the clarifier.

I like it very much, but will not throw cash at it.

I noticed more corrosion as well. I need to probably do a little restoration work. Yes, you can tell it's old. The board was the first thing that caught my eye. You can tell it's an old original one.

I am happy with the money spent. Just going to clean it up a bit. Only mod I plan on doing is fixing the AGC. With a proper alignment and turning the power down some is all its getting. Not even going to unlock the clarifier.

I like it very much, but will not throw cash at it.

I hear ya, Bubba . . .

But let's stop a moment and consider what has happened here.

First of all, they sold it at a special introductory price. They re-boxed it. They said it was a new radio.

Just think about that a moment.

OK? They misrepresented it! One can even say they lied about it. In fact, it may fail on you in the next year or less because the caps may well be on their way to completely drying out.

There is a very high likelihood of that happening.

Selling something as new when it is as old as this radio obviously is (probably at the 30 year old mark) means there is a legal problem here.

Do I hear the words 'class action suit' in my head?

If every bodies radios start failing in the next year and they pawned it off as a new radio; then yes.

Last edited:
Now since we are finding out they appear to be originals, the question that everyone wants to have answered: "Could you sell it on ebay labeled as vintage, and get the 300% vintage markup?"

Robb,

I thought that as well. I even suspected something was up before I ordered it. That's why I was asking about the warranty issue.

My manual shows a black face Jackson. A warranty is not mentioned anywhere. I don't know if Anna Sparks still answers the phones, but was thinking of calling her and ask what Ranger's intentions are with this radio.

Have you had a chance to verify sensitivity specs? If you really press me, I will admit that the interior condition is a little rank.

So far, I see our vendor members have been mum on this radio. Of course, they know what's going on. I agree, it is misrepresented. Am I all pissed off about it? No! I had a funny suspicion going into this adventure.

They should call it for what it is though.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the reason they replaced the case screws with those coarse threaded screws - was to keep people out of the radio so we wouldn't find out.

IOW - they knew what they were doing are were trying to cover it up.

This doesn't look favorably for Ranger/RCI right now.
LOL!

Last edited:
Lol,

I was gonna send Shioda the bat signal, but forgot he'd be on the defense.

I'm thinking that at the very least, RCI should:

1. Perform My AGC Mod.

2. Perform Factory Alignment

3. Give Me New Case Screws

4. Have The Stank Cleaned Out.

It might be better looked at another way. First of all after seeing the board pic's for one to think it was "new' is more than a little off the mark. However , perhaps it should be looked at as a second chance for those that never owned one and those that would like to own one again to have that chance.

Sure now the mood is changing from "cool' to " the company lied", well ok so they lied and tried to push it it off as a new rig, However I think it is a "unique" happening that these were able to be offered again. From the sound of the review they must have been in dry storage in an old shipping container long forgotten about in some remote port or warehouse facility.

Here is another thought. Maybe the company "spies" heard us "complaining" about all the performance issues with the new radios and decided to pull this as a supprise to please the masses....who knows really. For them to actually beleive that it could be pushed off as a new rig is reducilous.

I myself would love to own one or even two of these rigs.

Although it may be that we all have become so spoiled with the newer export rigs and forget how much they were enjoyed when they were out to ever give them a fair shot again...or at least enjoy them for what they are.

Remeber gentelman,

way back when the Jackson and the Grant were the ones to have.

I see this whole thing as a unique happening that won't come again.

Lol,

I was gonna send Shioda the bat signal, but forgot he'd be on the defense.

I'm thinking that at the very least, RCI should:

1. Perform My AGC Mod.

2. Perform Factory Alignment

3. Give Me New Case Screws

4. Have The Stank Cleaned Out.
Shioda can do it - sure he can.

My bro is an attorney, and he told me to take pictures of the screws, the old yellowed tape on the back of the meter, and the old fingerprints that are clear on the inside of the case (the salt water exposure also caused finger prints to form and are clearly seen to the naked eye).

I think they owe us a cap replacement job and an alignment; yes.
Minimum.

Last edited:
It might be better looked at another way. First of all after seeing the board pic's for one to think it was "new' is more than a little off the mark. However , perhaps it should be looked at as a second chance for those that never owned one and those that would like to own one again to have that chance.

Sure now the mood is changing from "cool' to " the company lied", well ok so they lied and tried to push it it off as a new rig, However I think it is a "unique" happening that these were able to be offered again. From the sound of the review they must have been in dry storage in an old shipping container long forgotten about in some remote port or warehouse facility.

Here is another thought. Maybe the company "spies" heard us "complaining" about all the performance issues with the new radios and decided to pull this as a supprise to please the masses....who knows really. For them to actually beleive that it could be pushed off as a new rig is reducilous.

Although it may be that we all have become so spoiled with the newer export rigs and forget how much they were enjoyed when they were out to ever give them a fair shot again...or at least enjoy them for what they are.

Remeber gentelman,

They did it to turn old, dead stock into cash.
They fraudulently represented the radio.
They even went out of their way to cover it up.
OBTW - did I say it was old?
Old enough to fall apart tomorrow, next week, or a few months from now - now that there has been voltage applied to them again after 30 years . . .

Remeber gentelman,

Nice post.

I agree with most of what you say. I do like the radio. Actually, the quiet receiver is refreshing to hear. Most new exports have Rx stages that drive you nuts. I just hope that it's not quiet because it's old and the sensitivity is degrading, lol.

The interior is a mess. I've seen cleaner interiors on much older radios. I will enjoy making it my winter project. Again, I do like it, but I feel they would sell just as many, if not more, if they would just described it the way it really is.

This radio is NOT for the first time buyer. Who knows what adventures this old classic will take me on.

My guess is that the profit margin on these units is enough to perform the items I listed earlier.

Again, I have no regrets.

They did it to turn old, dead stock into cash.
They fraudulently represented the radio.
They even went out of their way to cover it up.
OBTW - did I say it was old?
Old enough to fall apart tomorrow, next week, or a few months from now - now that there has been voltage applied to them again after 30 years . . .

Very true!

Guess I should have borrowed dad's variac.

LOL

President Jackson - Superstar JA, DTB Radio's Online Catalog

Somebody left a hatch open on the boat that was hauling these bad boys.

Nice post.

I agree with most of what you say. I do like the radio. Actually, the quiet receiver is refreshing to hear. Most new exports have Rx stages that drive you nuts. I just hope that it's not quiet because it's old and the sensitivity is degrading, lol.

The interior is a mess. I've seen cleaner interiors on much older radios. I will enjoy making it my winter project. Again, I do like it, but I feel they would sell just as many, if not more, if they would just described it the way it really is.

This radio is NOT for the first time buyer. Who knows what adventures this old classic will take me on.

My guess is that the profit margin on these units is enough to perform the items I listed earlier.

Again, I have no regrets.

Well put M42duster. I agree that it was probbily done for some fast cash, and it is never a good idea to insult your customers intelligence. I am just looking at it with a positive attitude. The only way to tell if it will work is to use it. Or just take some preventive maintance and recap it if that is a worry. Most of the origonal classics that were worth keeping were recapped anyway at some point, and or comming up to that point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.