• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

A real deal maker for me would be if it had a pre-wired counter jack, like a DX959 or DX979. As the new/old/reborn Jackson stands, having to refer to maps to figure out where you are is a deal breaker for me. BUT I'm ever so tempted. I cannot remember the last time I bought a NIB, 1st owner radio. Maybe never......wait, I think I bought a TRC 465 years ago NIB, and at full retail!!!! All my 11 meter rigs I still use & own and use are 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th hand-owner radios, and there's a common thread of all of them. They're all Uniden chassis radios.

Oldest: TRC 457
Next: Uniden made Cobra 140 GTL
Next: Uniden President AX144 (same as a 146GTL)
And the prize fighters, a pair of HR2510s

So owning a "new" old school Jackson/Superstar JA made by... (rather, assembled by...) RCI would round out my collection.

Thanks for all the informative posts so far about this rare gem, I just need someone to convenience me to click the buy-it button.

73s

Robb should have his today. Maybe he can comment on a side by side.

You right . . .

Trouble . . . trouble . . . trouble . . .

First, the receive does overload on SSB with strong local signals.
Badly.
Second, it is waaaaay off freq right out of the box (about ~300hz/more!).
Just for starters.

I am working on a local's hacked-up 148GTL and will finish up with it in a few hours.
Nice old radio needs a bunch of TLC.
Putting it back to stock and removing the hacks one by one.

When I get done with it, I will open up the Jacko and see if the AGC circuit has the original spec'd parts in it. I'm guessing that it does. While I was out buying some parts for this 148, I picked up the three resistors to modify the Jacko's AGC circuit. This involves taking out one disc cap and changing the values of three resistors. Not an expensive mod, as all three resistors cost me less than a single dime. But it will take time to straighten this radio out.

The radio I got just might even be defective from the factory; dunno yet . . .

Last edited:
Robb,

IDK, it is what it is. The mod is a cheap easy fix. Alignment should be no issue. At least it gives a guy something to do.

Does yours seem deaf?

I think less technical buyers should think of buying one from DTB. At a minimum, it will be expanded and aligned. We'll have to see what his fee would be to do the AGC mod in addition.

I have a very awesome and well stock electronic supply store near me. Guess I'll stop in and pick up some components. My Jackson will be here tomorrow.

A real deal maker for me would be if it had a pre-wired counter jack, like a DX959 or DX979. As the new/old/reborn Jackson stands, having to refer to maps to figure out where you are is a deal breaker for me. BUT I'm ever so tempted. I cannot remember the last time I bought a NIB, 1st owner radio. Maybe never......wait, I think I bought a TRC 465 years ago NIB, and at full retail!!!! All my 11 meter rigs I still use & own and use are 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th hand-owner radios, and there's a common thread of all of them. They're all Uniden chassis radios.

Oldest: TRC 457
Next: Uniden made Cobra 140 GTL
Next: Uniden President AX144 (same as a 146GTL)
And the prize fighters, a pair of HR2510s

So owning a "new" old school Jackson/Superstar JA made by... (rather, assembled by...) RCI would round out my collection.

Thanks for all the informative posts so far about this rare gem, I just need someone to convenience me to click the buy-it button.

73s

Sounds like the modern 10 meter rigs got ya spoiled. road maps are easy if the frequencys are in order...lol

Reactions: 1 person
You right . . .

Trouble . . . trouble . . . trouble . . .

First, the receive does overload on SSB with strong local signals.
Badly.
Second, it is waaaaay off freq right out of the box (about ~300hz/more!).
Just for starters.

I am working on a local's hacked-up 148GTL and will finish up with it in a few hours.
Nice old radio needs a bunch of TLC.
Putting it back to stock and removing the hacks one by one.

When I get done with it, I will open up the Jacko and see if the AGC circuit has the original spec'd parts in it. I'm guessing that it does. While I was out buying some parts for this 148, I picked up the three resistors to modify the Jacko's AGC circuit. This involves taking out one disc cap and changing the values of three resistors. Not an expensive mod, as all three resistors cost me less than a single dime. But it will take time to straighten this radio out.

The radio I got just might even be defective from the factory; dunno yet . . .

I hope it is not a derilict out of the box. If all it needs is the agc mod then that would be ok.

I am not surprised that is is not properly aligned out-of-the box, we know that the "tech`s" at ranger`s factory have a long history of slapping radios together and shoving them in the box.
The test will be after Rob goes through and does a proper alignment will it stay there after a reasonable warm up period.
Rob, I know that the final will have a spot of glue on the screw, but it would be nice to see what they stuck in for a final.
Or possibly (doubtful )they included a schematic with the users manual.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.