• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

N4GG array

wavrider

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 2, 2009
I have built and used an N4GG array for 11 meters just to see how it would do. It worked rather well but that was a few years ago when the cycle was not so good.

I built and put another one up today for 17 meters.

Got a contact with Gerry in Ireland and had a chance to compare it to the Mosley PRO 67B yagi at 55'.

The N4GG array is at 45' with one of the lobes shooting into EU land.

Gerry said the N5GG was 5DBD less than the yagi. Not even an S unit of difference.

The PRO67B has three active elements on 17 meters.

The N4GG was almost identical to the yagi on receive signal strength, yet the noise floor was around 2 S units less than the yagi.

This wire is nice to have on the antenna farm and works as the article states.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jaking/n4gg_array.pdf

In another thread m42duster was explaining how he only used wires for antennas, I remembered about the N4GG array and decided to compare it to the yagi. I was impressed, thanks for the inspiration m42duster.

Last edited:

Okay this looks interesting. It apparently works and would be easy and cheap to make.

Not to pick nits....but doesn't the term "array" refer to multiple elements?

I would not call this antenna an array

It does have multiple radiating elements.
I use a curtain for 6 and it works fine.

I suppose half square describes it better.

Last edited:
Okay this looks interesting. It apparently works and would be easy and cheap to make.

Not to pick nits....but doesn't the term "array" refer to multiple elements?

I would not call this antenna an array

I don't have as much a problem with that as I do N4GG putting his name to it. It is a simple three half waves antenna that has been around for almost forever. In fact the G5RV is a basic three 1/2 waves antenna on it's initial design freq of 20m. The only thing N4GG did was to drop the ends down to save room.

Not knocking the antenna in general BTW, it should work a bit better than a regular dipole.

This maybe a foolish question. Can it be strung higher off the ground? Say for a 10 metres, having the 1/4w ends with the bottom tips about 25' in the air.

I have tried the 3/2 dipole horizontal and it works also rather well but it is horizontal polarization.

I may be mistaken and often am but with the 1/4 wl vertical ends it gives vertical polarization, the lower angle of take off than a dipole installed lower then 1/2 wl in height.

Either way it does shoot a clover leaf pattern off the ends of the wire.

With two of these installed the globe can be covered if the antennas are oriented in the right direction.

It does not outperform a yagi but it is pretty darn good for an in expensive antenna, and what surprised me is it is QUIET for vertical polarized.

Thanks again m42duster for renewing my interest in wire antennas, I run a fan for 20/40/and 80 but usually use the yagi for 20 meters, since 17 is one of my favorite bands i decided to make one for it, I may go ahead and make a fan type of dipole out of it for 10/12/17 just to see how it works out.

Last edited:
For those who want to experiment with this as a multi band phased vertical array I found some more info in the following link.

W7HTJ Amateur Radio Station

Have to read the text but the formulas are given for the multi band phased array and results from the author.

Have fun and good DX

Yes Gerry is great contact, and what a memory, he evened remembered last years contact when I was running the Swan700CX on 20 meters, that Quad antenna he uses sures lumps a BIG signal across the pond.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.