• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a new radio

dcdeepwoods

Sep 28, 2008
South Carolina
I have not been keeping up with the cb business for years. My current radio is a SuperStar 121 chrome face that is old as dirt. It has a few problems but still works. The main problem I am having is motor noise in this radio. Always had it and guess always will. Other radios in my truck do not have this problem so I am guessing it is something in the radio that is busted. Had the local radio man look at it years ago and he could not get it to work. The ANL switch was used to jump channels to other bands previously and not as a ANL switch. Unit was used as a base station for years and did not need a ANL at that time. Just looking for something on the same line as this radio to upgrade to. I only need 120 channels but would like to stay on the same line as this on as far as size and looks. Don't know what all is out there or what is junk and what is not. Thanks.

I googled the 2950 and it is showing as a Ranger. Is that what it is or did I get the wrong radio? I have never seen a ranger radio. As I was saying earlier I have not messed with these things for years as far as buying new things. I only talk on my old junk when hunting season is in usually. I just went outside a few minutes ago and got on the radio and I heard only 2 truckers on channel 19. No one else was on any channel that I could hear. Has CB radio use gone down that much. When I was younger and just getting into CB's you could hear someone on just about every channel and they would talk all night. Thanks for the help. I will try to do some more research on the Ranger if that is the right radio.

I would pick up the magnum 257 advertised in 4 sale, am/ssb/fm, they cant be beat and the price is low, service if something goes wrong is super on them also.

DOCTOR/795

Thanks for the information guys. I have tried grounding the radio to everywhere but the dirt. Nothing seems to work. If the ANL worked in the radio I think that would be all I needed but it does not. I think it's just time to get a new radio. I was thinking that it would probably be best to buy a new one instead of a used one. I always seem to have bad luck buying anything used. My radio now is over 20 years old and I know that they had to get better since then. No saying my radio is junk, it's just outdated. I have had a couple of Superstars, Galaxy, TriStar and a few more radios in the past but it has been at least 15 years since I have got a new one. I have not even checked prices on them yet. I figured I would get a few ideas before hand. Thanks for the replies. I am open to anything on the line of the SuperStar 121. Got to go, I work EMS/Fire and got a call. Later

DC -

Your radio is not really outdated, it just has a few years under it's belt. Booty and Doctor are right. Both of the radios that they recommended are A-1. The 2950 for 100 bucks is hard to beat. I would get it myself but already have one. Magnum 257... never had one, but I have heard mucho good things about them. Good price on it too. Look at the prices for the same equipment on eBay. Much better here.

you could also try putin a nosie filter on the altrinato and on the wires for the radio itself this could very posibly fix the prolem for you

i have ta rci2970dx and it is tits best money i ever spent it is super clear in all bands and runs frome 10 metwer to 12 wvery opne i tlak to said its clear as a bell and ir is made by ranger usa this is also the websit name but if you want the best this is it also it has abiltin amp can throw 23 to 50 miles no skip and it receves very well to the 2950 is only 50 watts and the 2970 is up to 150 watts but they are basicly the sam besides that and the custermer service is exalent sent myn out and got it bak in less than a week

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1