• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need advice on which vhf brand to buy

KD0GOJ

Jan 25, 2009
I am undecided on which brand to buy
I have been hearing bad things on yaesu
Please give me your thought good or bad a which brand to go with
leaning toward icom at the moment

Thanks KD0GOJ

All Icom all the time here. You won't any any problems with the IC2200H 2 meter mobile. And ridiculously easy to mod open for extra TX if you want it. Will then TX the full range 136~174 giving you MURS and business band ect....

All manufacturers have gone to the modular (telephone) type mic plug. Over time and with much use they may start losing connection and have to be played with or replaced...but you're stuck with them right now.

Good luck with whichever you choose. Consider getting a used one off of ebay. Prices are down right now and you can get a deal. Just look for great feedback rating and ask questions about condition if not already in the ad.

interview.gif

Yaesu (Vertex Standard) was purchased by Motorola a little while back, which is probably a good thing.

I own both Icom and Yaesu Radios and like each for what they do. I would say pick the one that has the features and best ease of use for you. Go to the radio shop if you can to play with them. Right now at this moment I would probably lean toward the Yaesu FT-8800 if I was in the market for a new one.

I have both the Icom IC-2200H, and the Yaesu FT-2800M and this is my personal take on them both.
As WW pointed out they both have the RJ-45 modular mic plug, and I'm not crazy about them as a mic plug, just not durable enough. However Icom uses a striaght forward system of wiring their mics to these plugs, and Yaesu uses some sort of odd system that makes it difficult to use another manufacture's mic without some sort of extra adaptor.
The menu system on the Yaesu is a little more complicated than the system used by Icom, and the Icom is far easier to program using the radio mounted controls where the Yaesu is a little more dependent on the microphone controls.
The radio mounted controls on the Icom seem a little more rugged, the controls on the Yaesu seem a little more delicate, and the VFO knob on the Yaesu FT-2800M has no resistence and is easy to bump and change frequency or memory channels, I've actually had my Yaesu change memory channels when my Jeep hit a hard bump in the road.

When it comes to VHF / UHF mobile radios, I tend to favor Icom over Yaesu, with HF station radios I favor Yaesu, I would take an FT-450 over the IC-718, and I'd take the FT-950 over one of the Icom Pro series, but with mobile radios I believe Icom has the leading edge over Yaesu....

But this is just my opinion....your mileage may vary.....

Ok folks
I have read and and with my previous reading i have decided to stay with icom
I have a used ic-t2a ht and i would not ever give it up.
Thanks for your thoughts
I would like a duel band but not in the cards just yet
Ic-2200h is the one for me

Thanks again i knew i could count on this group
KD0GOJ

I say stay with Icom as well..

Not because yaesu doesn't make decent radios..
but because they are a bit harder to use and program
also i KNOW Icom is rugged

Icom is more "true" sounding for the TX audio than Yaesu I think. At least w/the VHF line of rigs. Yaesu tends to be a bit more tinny and not quite as
loud as Icom either. My HT's are Yaesu but my mobile's are Icom along w/my
746 non-pro base. I am an Icom fan to say the least,but am always willing to try others too!
Good luck.Slim.

Thanks again folks
Its A done Deal just ordered a ic 2200h
Just happy to get quality, rugged and not ht.
Tried of 5 watts and not being able to get out to a repeator with the pre amp out
Thanks for your thought
KD0GOJ
SCOTT

I have had good luck with the Yaesu FT2800. I use one in the truck and had another as a base. The base got hit by lightening, so I replaced it with an ICOM IC706MK2G. I had to learn how to program the ICOM but, it did not take very long. I looked very hard at getting the FT897D, but I had a deal fall into my lap for the ICOM that I could not pass on. Just my .02.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.