• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Aluminum Cleaning Product Advice

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
I have aluminum diamond plate bed rail and tailgate caps on my pickup. It collects some blackish and scaly residue on it. What is the EASIEST / best working cleaner for this gunk? Typical liquid paste aluminum polishes and Castrol Purple / Simple Green will clean it but requires heavy scrubbing. What works better?

Thanks!

I have aluminum diamond plate bed rail and tailgate caps on my pickup. It collects some blackish and scaly residue on it. What is the EASIEST / best working cleaner for this gunk? Typical liquid paste aluminum polishes and Castrol Purple / Simple Green will clean it but requires heavy scrubbing. What works better?

Thanks!

aluminum paste and a high speed buffer. only thing is you will have to do it ever 2-4 months to keep it looking good.

I have always used air conditioner core cleaner (acid) on my diamond plate and antennas.
just spray it on, wait a minute and rinse it off... looks like brand new.
a LOT less work that rubbing paste and working a buffer lol
I've been doing that with the toolbox and rails on my 99 silverado since day one and haven't hurt the paint or the aluminum.
Also used to spray the pontoon boat down once a year with it and it shined the whole summer
I get my acid from a buddy who is hvac but I'm sure you could pick up a gallon at the local "do-it" center.

I have always used air conditioner core cleaner (acid) on my diamond plate and antennas.
just spray it on, wait a minute and rinse it off... looks like brand new.
a LOT less work that rubbing paste and working a buffer lol
I've been doing that with the toolbox and rails on my 99 silverado since day one and haven't hurt the paint or the aluminum.
Also used to spray the pontoon boat down once a year with it and it shined the whole summer
I get my acid from a buddy who is hvac but I'm sure you could pick up a gallon at the local "do-it" center.

Hey thanks bud! I have that on hand. Will try this weekend

I use scowrer pads like you use to wash up your pots and pans. It works a treat to bring alloy back to a shine before it is welded etc. if you use a fine pad it will not score the alloy

If you have a polished surface and use those acid base cleaners that strip the oxidation it can be used at too strong a mix and actually burn the outer surface and then a repolish will be in order.

At your local automotive dealer there is a polish that comes in a can and is a cotton tic that is saturated with a cleaner/polish that when applied turns the surface black and when dry and wiped away is the safest manner for cleaning aluminum.

Or you can make you own home made polish

Reactions: 1 person
Try some of this:
553px-Pouring_liquid_mercury_bionerd.jpg
Works really really well!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.