• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help blocking Netflix via X-Box 360.

Had the same issue here! Boy do those Xbox's and Netflix bog down the speed for sure!! And don't forget the online gaming as well. It too can bog down the speed. Anyway, glad to hear you got it fixed. Nothing like regaining control of the internet or even something they need back LOL!! Darn kids. I too have an 18yr old about to go to comm. college coming up near end of August. No job either. And like you said having or Getting a job won't help either!! Man do I know the feeling. The grey hairs are coming in fast now!! Will be just 40yrs old Aug. 10th. Have 4 kids, 3 girls, 1 boy. Man it's 2 handfuls of work to keep things afloat!!! Wouldn't change it for the world though!!! Love my kids and hope all of them do well in life. My som has hit a few bumps but has gotten it together now!! Thank God. Anyway. Again, nice that you were able to fix your issue!!

Well I am 52 and have two boys, 18 and 17. One is going into grade 12 this fall and the other is going to community college to learn to be a chef. I don't really begrudge them for not having a job YET however do believe it would do them good if they had one. I had one when I was 17 but I did not NEED it to support myself or my education so I was able to buy a car early and get a start on my future. His chef's training will demand some long days in school as well as some evenings and weekends as they get paid to cater certain events like meetings and Christmas parties etc while still in school and the college has an open dining room where the faculty or public can dine. The other boy is looking at a school of operating engineers for either heavy equipment operator or crane operator.

I was the same way and had a job at 17 for the same reason as you. But he wasn't too concerned with that as we had a beater truck for him to run around in. 1995 Nissan Pathfinder. It runs good and has A/C. And it was free for him so he made out as far as I am concerned. I give him gas money occasionally. He does pretty good with it. At any rate, I understand what you're going through. I can imagine 2 boys that age eating you out of house and home!!!

Problem solved. I needed to dig deeper into the Net Genie's Open DNS site and use the parental controls and use domain blocking. Netflix and only Netflix is now blocked on any and all devices in the house including X-Boxes.
You should be able to block it at your router for all devices in the house. I do this at home for several sites I don't want my kid to find. I use OpenDNS as my dns source and they have excellent tools but I prefer to do it at the source of exit. I have one PC in the house that is in the DMZ that can get to anything (and anything can get to it :))

You should be able to block it at your router for all devices in the house. I do this at home for several sites I don't want my kid to find. I use OpenDNS as my dns source and they have excellent tools but I prefer to do it at the source of exit. I have one PC in the house that is in the DMZ that can get to anything (and anything can get to it :))

Nope. Tried that and it blocked it for all devices EXCEPT the X-Box. It has something to do with the app that X-Box uses to stream from Netflix.

The X-box has a MAC address, block it via that

The problem has already been solved very much to my satisfaction......but not his. :D

Besides that would not prevent him from accessing it via his laptop or phone or the regular TV in the living room if we are not home. The way I did it solves all those issues.

Reactions: 2RT307
Hey Captain K, some folks say that giving all the folks at ISIS a job will stop them from from being terrorists. Why do you think it won't keep your son from terrorizing your internet connection? :p :ROFLMAO:

All in jest,
Brett

Hey Captain K, some folks say that giving all the folks at ISIS a job will stop them from from being terrorists. Why do you think it won't keep your son from terrorizing your internet connection? :p :ROFLMAO:

All in jest,
Brett

Pretty much because every time he does something I find out and I just don't mean internet.;) This time I am holding all the cards. :)

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.