• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Help Getting Started ....

vja4Him

Nov 13, 2010
I am new to ham radios .... Would like to get something inexpensive, that will still allow me to communicate long distances ....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amateur radio covers many different aspects. What pert of amateur radio are you wanting to explore? How do you wish to operate?
Do you prefer DX or rag chew?

So many variables in that open ended question you presented it would be hard to give an answer. To many variables.

Once you decide what part of Amateur radio hobby you want to operate in them some ideas can be given,

vja4Him isn't a Ham callsign; so I will assume that you don't have a license yet.

Most radios that transmit below 54mhz to 1.2mhz can talk great distances. It requires the best antennas to talk across the world. As well as having the right ionospheric conditions too.

I have also noticed that you ran the same question on QRZ.com.
No Ham will want to sell you a radio unless you have obtained your license first.
They are rightly concerned about scammers as we are here.

Both new and used HF radios run the gamut in price and features. There are many quality rigs that can be bought worth the money. What is the right radio? It depends on your particular interests but you will find that most all of the rigs produced over the past 25 years are quite versatile, particularly if they can operate on all modes. Most often, the way you use that radio will be dictated by the accessories connected to it--antennas, computer, keyer and paddle, amongst others--and your interests than by the radio itself.

While low power operation (often considered 5 Watts or less on amateur radio, a.k.a. QRP) has its attraction, a new operator will benefit from more reliable contacts with at least 100 Watts available, which is about the standard output for most radios. Most late models will allow the power to be turned down to QRP or near QRP levels so that can be experienced easily enough as well.

First step is to try to learn as much about amateur radio as you can, get licensed, and then find your niche. Good luck!

I am new to ham radios .... Would like to get something inexpensive, that will still allow me to communicate long distances ....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If by "inexpensive" you mean $200 or so, try to find a local "elmer" (a seasoned ham, willing to help) that can help you buy a used HF rig, and get a $40 or so Dipole. You should be able to talk hundreds to thousands of miles with that, depending on weather conditions (i.e. sunspots) Buying used ham equipment is like buying a used car, some real good deals, and some real lemons, a seasoned guy would know the right questions to ask.

But if you have like a grand to jump in with, consider a Yaesu FT-857 or similar. It has HF for long distances, and VHF & UHF for short distances, often used with repeaters.

Finally, back in the $200 range, you can get a 2 meter HT (Handheld Transceiver) that can be used with repeaters, and some repeaters are connected via the internet to others, allowing long distance communications, that sound just like they are in the other room. I have a local repeater connected to a system that has a repeater in Australia, and England. How's that for long distance?

Also, remember this, the antenna is to ham radio as the speakers are to stereos. The better the antenna, the better your new rig will work, and a bad antenna can make a great radio work pretty sucky.

Remember, we don't require people to use call signs as member names here. Many people prefer it that way...
:LOL: same here, i dont post my call sign,, as i dont want everyone to know who i am or where i live.( my address is posted on the f.c.c. site with my call sign.) i wouldn't want you all to show up uninvited for dinner if i wasn't prepared.

vja4Him isn't a Ham callsign; so I will assume that you don't have a license yet.

Most radios that transmit below 54mhz to 1.2mhz can talk great distances. It requires the best antennas to talk across the world. As well as having the right ionospheric conditions too.

I have also noticed that you ran the same question on QRZ.com.
No Ham will want to sell you a radio unless you have obtained your license first.
They are rightly concerned about scammers as we are here.

This is all new to me ... Are there any good online sources that I can use to start studying? How much does the license cost?

Right now I'm limited with what I can spend. Until I get my tax return, I won't know how much I'll have to invest for a ham radio ....

If by "inexpensive" you mean $200 or so, try to find a local "elmer" (a seasoned ham, willing to help) that can help you buy a used HF rig, and get a $40 or so Dipole. You should be able to talk hundreds to thousands of miles with that, depending on weather conditions (i.e. sunspots) Buying used ham equipment is like buying a used car, some real good deals, and some real lemons, a seasoned guy would know the right questions to ask.

But if you have like a grand to jump in with, consider a Yaesu FT-857 or similar. It has HF for long distances, and VHF & UHF for short distances, often used with repeaters.

Finally, back in the $200 range, you can get a 2 meter HT (Handheld Transceiver) that can be used with repeaters, and some repeaters are connected via the internet to others, allowing long distance communications, that sound just like they are in the other room. I have a local repeater connected to a system that has a repeater in Australia, and England. How's that for long distance?

Also, remember this, the antenna is to ham radio as the speakers are to stereos. The better the antenna, the better your new rig will work, and a bad antenna can make a great radio work pretty sucky.

Depending on my tax return, if I have enough, I'd like to spend somewhere between $300-500 to start off with. I really don't need anything fancy, just wanting to communicate at least around the west coast. Farther if possible ...

Depending on my tax return, if I have enough, I'd like to spend somewhere between $300-500 to start off with. I really don't need anything fancy, just wanting to communicate at least around the west coast. Farther if possible ...

I would look for a friend or coworker to help you buy some used equipment.

Look online to see if there are any amateur radio clubs in your area. Great resource for study guides and can help in locating used equipment.

Congrats.

For a $400 budget, look for a used Kenwood TS-120, 130 or 140 (or equivalents from Yaesu or Icom like an IC-720, 730, 735, 740, etc.), a 20 amp power supply, a used antenna tuner, and a multi-band dipole like a G5RV and/or a Carolina Windom antenna.

You'll be up and running on 10-80 meter HF bands.

If your budget will permit, get BOTH a horizontal dipole antenna PLUS a vertical (like a Hustler 4 or 5 or 6 BTV) with plenty of radials. This way you'll have BOTH horizontal & vertical polarization, and can work both HIGH and LOW angles of radiation (for close-in and distance) on the lower freqs (i.e. 80M and 40M.)

To save even more money, get some #14 or #12 wire, and make your own homebrew'ed dipole(s) antenna(s).

Have Fun!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.