1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Need Help! I am new

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Roy Miller, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Roy Miller

Roy Miller New Member

I love to travel in hilly areas. In there mobile devices don’t work. I have discussed this with my many friends and most of them suggested me CB System. These all suggestion lead me to buy a CB System and mounted it in my BEAST 4*4.

The problem is my CB ANTENNA is not giving good transmit & receive. Any suggestion or could you help me out to select BEST CB ANTENNA for best transmit & receive. Well, I also don’t want that mag mount scratch my car paint.

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

CBs won't work either. Doesn't matter how much power you put out or what antenna you use, if there's a hill between you and the other party you're not making contact.

As for what magmount won't scratch your car paint, they all do and if it isn't the magmount that does it it is the coax which is covered in dust and metallic particles in brake dust flapping about in the wind. If you don't want to damage the paint the best thing to do is to drill a hole in the roof and install a proper fixed mount. It'll also benefit the transmit and receive as well.

357magnum and TheRealPorkchop like this.
  3. Joe_eddy

Joe_eddy Member

I am using the SR-A10 CB antenna on a 5 week trip to alaska for 8,964 miles it stayed attached to the top of jeep cherokee through all kinds of weather and road conditions - by using this antenna depending on terrain it added 3-13 miles of reception.was easy to install and just ran the cable through the back door. there is an alan screw that attaches the antenna to the base unit make sure you take that with you we did find that came loose only once in 5 weeks but we were bounced and jarred alot on this trip so dont consider that a problem just a reminder if you do get this unit to check that every now and then - highly recommend 37632225_2001924046549804_1522958380543508480_n.jpg

4. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

upload_2018-9-7_8-20-3.png upload_2018-9-7_8-19-47.png upload_2018-9-7_8-20-3.png
    Is the bug extra?

undertaker and 357magnum like this.
  5. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

Iv'e mentioned it before , I have this antenna , and I have nothing but good thing's to say about it $ wise it's about the same as a Sirio and the rest . Some local Op's were so impressed with the looks and the way it performs two of them purchased them . I know it's mostly mother nature but my first contact with it was on Ch 6 , with my Antique Cobra 140 GTL , Turner + 2 , and my King Bee 250 backing it up . I heard an Op using one and just had to have it . 2 years now No problems .(jmo)

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

1) Does it light up when you key up?

2) I too am curious about the bug.

3) Are you telling me that if I move to the mountains, I won’t make as many contacts as I do now where I’m on “flat” land?

Seems like Shawn posted a pic of that thing on Twitter a few weeks back and it was lit up. I just can’t part with my Predator, it’s a nice looking antenna but I’m just too partial and I’m love with my Predator.

You want to talk about scratching up a roof, put a Predator on a triple mag mount on top of a dump truck. Or even worse, pop a hole in the roof and don’t use a backing plate. Can you say stress cracks? Not one of my better ideas and it’s not fun dragging a mig welder up on top of a dump truck.

For temporary uses, lay down a piece of notebook paper and drop the mag mount on it. Or clear plastic. Or felt.

357magnum likes this.
  7. 357magnum

TheRealPC , nope , doesn't light up . But you got me thinking ! What is up with that damn bug ?:LOL:

8. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

The Firefly...cool!

The issue is the ground wave doesn't do the best in "Hugging" the ground.

In fact with this crazy weather we've been having the air has been more stratified (layers squished together) allows for some other events like Ducting to occur, so it traps the wave in a layer of air to refract and bounce around into other regions of the that same "altitude" the layer your signal is in - but little refraction or propagation into the ground image you could use from it.

NMO mount or SO-239 "screw-on" type of mag mount? Or 3/8"-24 thread?

9. TheRealPorkchop

DD518FAC-729C-48B8-ABFD-D480C75281A4.png Ok that pic is fishy... and then check this out

That one sure lights up.

357magnum likes this.
  10. 357magnum

What ! Mine lights Up ? I never noticed ! Be back now I have to check after owning it for over a year !:confused:o_O:rolleyes:

11. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Stryker has a Twitter feed guys - enjoy your fame!

357magnum likes this.
  12. 357magnum

Not mine , I have to find out , is that an add on or did I get screwed or burn it out ? Hmmm ... I need those damn lights !:LOL:

#12 357magnum, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. TheRealPorkchop

Don’t know. It’s a cool novelty ain’t it? Absolutely useless but cool as hell.

357magnum likes this.