• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help selecting a HT

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
I'm hoping to buy one under $200. I primarily want 2 meter. UHF would be nice but not necessary.

My main concern is operating range. I would like to be able to use it while in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan while camping and on ATV rides.

I have no experience in HT and would like some suggestions. And any information on features I should make sure I get and perils to avoid.

Thanks

John

Buy one of the Chinese units from a place like radiogearpro.com or one of their competitors that I can't think of right now.

Go cheap for now.

I am reluctant to buy Chinese stuff. I don't like supporting Communist countries. I would rather pay more for one made in Japan or elsewhere unless the price difference was overwhelming.

I am reluctant to buy Chinese stuff. I don't like supporting Communist countries. I would rather pay more for one made in Japan or elsewhere unless the price difference was overwhelming.

i understand your viewpoint,..... however,.... i STILL would get a cheap WOXOUN ht ,...... less than $100.

they are actually quite well made for the price. when it breaks, throw it away, or pay around 3 to 4 times the price for a japanese one,.... YMMV

Boy I'll bet it's a real blast shopping with you. Ever try and make do with NOTHING ever made in China. :D

Buy the damn Wouxun and be done with it.

No, I have just about decided either a Yaesu FT-250R or FT-270R. The FT-250R is $114.95 and the FT-270R is ten bucks more.

I wouldn't be saving that much with a Wouxun.

I'm going to do some more researching before I make up my mind.

You guys are ruff heeheehee...I just bought a T-70A Icom 2m/70 for my 1st handheld but the stock ducky is well um not very good but then the closet repeater/s are 26 and 30 miles from me so Iam trying out a couple dif antennas and just orderd a MFJ-1722S for my Veh....The MFJ should do the trick and I do not have to route it any certain way..Just mount it on roof and shut the door(so they say,we will see).

No, I have just about decided either a Yaesu FT-250R or FT-270R. The FT-250R is $114.95 and the FT-270R is ten bucks more.

I wouldn't be saving that much with a Wouxun.

I'm going to do some more researching before I make up my mind.

I have the Yaesu FT-270 just sold a VX-170. My Wouxun sure hits repeaters that the 2 Yaesus and Icom Ic-E90 can only dream of hitting. 30 miles away from Baltimore, MD to Washington, DC with the factory rubber duckie. The Yaesu is 2 meter only, and the Wouxun is a Dual band rig. The Yaesu HT's are also made in China.

I have the Yaesu FT-270 just sold a VX-170. My Wouxun sure hits repeaters that the 2 Yaesus and Icom Ic-E90 can only dream of hitting. 30 miles away from Baltimore, MD to Washington, DC with the factory rubber duckie. The Yaesu is 2 meter only, and the Wouxun is a Dual band rig. The Yaesu HT's are also made in China.

The Yaesu is submersible and is built like a commercial radio.

The Wouxun isn't.

:)
I usually don't take my Wouxun swimming, and it's certainly not built to 'commercial' standards. But it works, it's Part-90 certified, it's cheap, and it's got a flashlight. If it doesn't fill all your needs, then I wouldn't recommend it over something that does.
- 'Doc

(and who can live without that flashlight!!)

mackmobile43,
AH Ha! That explains why you're in the dark a lot, huh? I didn't realize how en-lightening it could be! Now I just need to figure out how to turn it off...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.