• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with this damn tower.

Got it done tower is built!!!
Now all i have to do is get it on the house mount!!
NOTE TO SELF CHANNEL LOCKS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!

Yawn . .

1987 came and went.
EB3A21C5-73EE-4686-9A6C-5905421838C9.jpeg
Best mechanics I know (entirely independent with a waiting list and have never advertised), been using these since at least the ‘90s.
All sizes.

Yeah, the old Channel Locks are still in the toolbox, but, you, too, can have weaponized fingers!

They're hard to put down.

Good thing that tower “listened” to reason, huh? Bet you had a 6” pipe wrench prominently displayed on the bench with the other implements of torture.

Last edited:
Last set-up I did was 3 sections of 25G for new OTA/TV antenna.
Many times Used or New, the galvanizing "beads" up at the end of the couplings.
I take a large Uni-Bit and reamed that edge off, this also "slightly flares" out the coupling sleeve.
Then next buff the "stubbed" section with a wire brush or mild flat file, till the end was clean.
Anti-Seize or like #90 weight gear lube both sections.
My bottom section was already connected to the tilt base. I then layed that section down, laying a long 2 x 4 under it. Next section on ground blocked with 2 x 4. line the section up and start the 2 legs only (section is slightly tilted away from base). Push it forward and raise the section up to line up the last (Top) sleeve. I have even gave that "peg" a "slap" with a recoiless hammer to pop it what ever direction it needs to line up.
Once I have all 3 legs lined up, pick the section up and start the "wobble" until the legs are pushed together and you can slip one of the bolts thru the hole. Nut it temporally.
...continue the wobble until you can do the same with another mounting hole.
Get the idea?
Then once you have it lined up this way, not uncommon to have all the holes NOT line up (again galvanizing reduces the openings) Then take a bit and run the other holes (5/16th's) Place those bolts/washers. etc.; in. Tighten those hand tight. Remove the other bolts ONE at a time. Ream and hand tighten each...Once all 6 bolts installed and hand tighten. wrench and ratchet them down.
Repeat each...then raise it up.
If your installing with tower standing up...ratchet straps and Hammer will most certainly be frustrating.
It can be done, I have done it by MYSELF with a ginpole and climbing belt, and a bucket full of extra bolts etc. tools etc.
It ain't fun!!! but doable
GL
All the Best
Gary

I can see we’re kindred spirits. Dicking around really is half the fun.

Just don’t translate well to the, git ‘er dun, crowd. You know, the ones who’re finished before they start.

Hey slowmover I'm in that get er done crowd. But you already know that

Naw. Not really. Old fart status is I’m taking THREE TIMES AS LONG , but, like Gary, I’m dressing it up in pretty laces and ribbon.

Anybody asks, WE ARE BEING THOROUGH.

IS THAT CLEAR?
IS THAT UNDERSTOOD!?

THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE DEVICE CONNECTED TO EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE AND DANGEROUS DEVICES.

MY AGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW FAST THIS JOB GOES.

IT DEMANDS PATIENCE.
IT DEMANDS EXPERTISE.

IT DEMANDS SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND TESTS.

It demands I now take a nap.
Back at three o’clock.

Threadjack...

I need help with my tower also. What I need is for each of you to come help dig the hole, bring a shovel, many hands make light work.

Everyone please bring at least 1 bag of concrete.

Somebody bring some rebar, some nuts and bolts and steaks.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming...

IDK where to start first but Chop ... you ( and we all know ) are a piece of work ! :ROFLMAO: I have at least 3 channel lock pliers ( 2 I can find :whistle: ) As far as Vice Grips , got that covered , down to the needle nose type . Also years back I saw people carrying " Leatherman Type " pliers on their belt , I thought it was Stupid . Now I have a " Kershaw " plier I carry on my belt for over 15 years , they have " The Vice Grip " plus other Do Dads . I don't know how I got along w/out them . For instance Baling Hay , almost done , pin fell out of Carburetor linkage , Lock them on , finished the field , back to the garage to fix it right ! I think I was the " Stupid " one all those years ! :LOL: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo Ps , almost forgot , Bobby " You Da' Man ! " (y)

Threadjack...

I need help with my tower also. What I need is for each of you to come help dig the hole, bring a shovel, many hands make light work.

Everyone please bring at least 1 bag of concrete.

Somebody bring some rebar, some nuts and bolts and steaks.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming...
If you rent a bus and come pick us all up, I'm in. HAHA!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.