1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Need help with value

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Rshipe, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Rshipe

Rshipe New Member

I have a vintage Moonraker 4 and it’s on a 48’ Tower Rohan I believe. This was my fathers. He got it in the 70’s. It is still up. I was wondering if anyone could give me a idea of value. I know it is a good quality antennae and tower.

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

If you take it all down and have it ready to move then you might get a couple hundred bucks for it. If you need the buyer to take it down, you might be lucky to give it away.

Rshipe, Ranch55, The DB and 5 others like this.
  3. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

Shadetree about hit the nail on the head , I had one years back , took it down and I don't recall if I paid much if anything for it . I miss that antenna , but no matter how many wires you put on it the thing was a Kite in the wind . After it's first hurricane it was back to the Big Stick for me !:LOL:

Rshipe likes this.
  4. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Ground planes and long wire for me. I would be interested in the tower if it was down and you were within 75 miles of my base.

Rshipe likes this.
  5. Rshipe

Rshipe New Member

Thank you

6. Rshipe

Rshipe New Member

Hello, I have been told that the tower is twisting and probably shouldn’t be reused.
    We are in Nebraska, I’ve been told part of the top is ok but towards the bottom it’s twisted.

7. Rshipe

Rshipe New Member

We were thinking taking it apart and scrap it

8. Rshipe

Rshipe New Member

I was just wondering about value. I know back in the 70’s my folks paid a lot for it all. But I guess it’s the way it goes. At least they had several years of enjoyment out of the set up. Thanks again all

9. Robb

Robb Yup

If it was put up even in the late 70's and was never taken down to recondition the hardware on it, then it is far from perfect and may not even have a working SWR ('standing wave ratio') after more than 30 years. You got a real 'pig in a poke' if you get my meaning. If nothing else is wrong with it, I'm pretty certain that the coax calbe is shot after all that time, unless he replaced it. Coax can get weather beaten in less than two decades.

What about the rotor and control box? Does it still spin the antenna in a full 360 degrees and return to the original setting? All beam antennas need a rotor/control box/rotor cable in order to move it.

Just some thoughts . . .

357magnum likes this.