• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some help: Designing a CLEAN mobile install CB/Ham

Red Ranger

Aug 16, 2008
This is what I am planning up right now.

I have a 1992 Buick Regal, and there is NO room in there to mount a standard CB radio, it has a center console!

I am a Tech Licensee, and a CB user.

There are a few things I want.

-NO RF in the interior, call coax/transmitters must be in trunk.

- A CLEAN INSTALL, as few wires in the interior as possible.

Right now I am planning on using two NMO, hole-thru-trunk lid antennas.

-A 440/144/50 MHz tri-bander(for ham max 200 watts)

-a Larsen 27-30 Mhz antenna(max 200 watts)

I got two setups in mind:

Setup#1
Ham radio: FT-8900R 10M/6M/2M/440 Mobile(with remote head) using a CR627B 6M/2M/440 Antenna

Ten Meters/CB: a Cobra 75WXST hand held CB w/ two extension cables and mount the "box" in the trunk, (X-Force amplifier set for 200 watts max) and run it to the Larsen 27 MHz antenna (no frequency expansion, and no SSB on ten meters!) :(

This setup I will only have three wires into the interior, the Cobra control cable, the cable for the ham radio head unit, and a cable for a communications speaker.

Option #2
Buy a Yaesu FT-857D, mod for the expansion. Run THREE antennas on trunk lid.

have the 144/440 output go to a dual band antenna, have the 50MHz/HF out go to a Diamond duplexer(MX610) then the 6 meter feed goes to a 6 meter antenna and the HF feed goes to a X-force amp and runs 200 watts to a 27-29 MHz Larsen antenna.

This setup will have two wires to the interior, the control head and the speaker wire. It also is the most expensive!!

Is there a better way to do this? I want basically to run FM at 50 watts, at 50 MHz and above, run 40 channel CB AM at 200 watts and I would like my SSB privileges on 10 meters as well, but not required.

All RF must be contained in trunk, and this is a problem as there are no detachable/remote head Export radios out there!

Suggestions on my best move, the X-force amp/CB/ham radio will be bolted to the bottom of the cowl in the trunk, powered by 4 gauge from battery.

And all antennas MUST fit on trunk, I got a sun roof and I am NOT going to run a mag mount on the roof.(not a clean install)

I think you are going to compromise your antennas; and therefore your effectiveness. Fine for 6m/2m/70cm to have these antennas on the trunk. But 10m/11m need a greater ground plane/surface area to work with; otherwise expect poor radiation patterns and higher SWR's unless the roof is used.

The ICOM 706 MKII G can be modified to do all of the bands you want, and has a detachable face. Only need one radio - instead of two - to do it this way, and it can be had for ~$600. You won't really need a linear, unless you are just set on the idea. That would also save additional $$$...
IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver - Features - Icom America

If you want - you might even put up a 3/8 x 24 thread roof mount - so that you can flip to a 10m/11m/20m/40m/80m Ham Stick too. Instead of the Larsen; unless you must have this also. Just keep the unused sticks in the trunk. Probably will need an AH-4 HF+50 MHz AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER with this package/concept...
IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver - Options - Icom America

Provided - of course - that you have your General Ham ticket...

Looks like you are REALLY going to be short on usable antenna space if you choose to mount them on the trunk. Maybe a 2m antenna - maybe...

Attachments

• 1992_Buick_Park_Avenue_Ultra_001.jpg
    1992_Buick_Park_Avenue_Ultra_001.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 2
The 'catch' with the antennas is that NMO mount for 10/11 meters. You will be limited in the antennas using that mount.
As for that lack of an adequate 'groundplane' for 10/11 meters, it really isn't a big deal, just bond the trunk lid to the rest of the car. That trunk lid isn't the -only- thing that makes up that 'groundplane' in use with HF, or the roof, for that matter.
That remote head for the radio is sort of limiting also, not too many of them around. That '706 is one of them though, and it can be made to cover 11 meters.
- 'Doc

Daggonitman !!

I bet you painted the rear axle silver too!

No but the windows are tinted!! I bought it this way.

Why are you all recommending the 706 over the Yaesu 857? The 706 only puts out 5w on HF AM vs the Yaesu's 25 watts, which is okay since I am using a X-Force amp to pump it up, so this point is moot. (probably a x40 or x80 as the amp)

One other issue is that you use 11 meters AM. Had it been SSB you would be pleased with the performance of the FT-857 or some other ham rigs. If your goal is to get that classic Cobra AM audio, you'll be sourly disappointed after buying one of them. They use low level IF modulation. When properly set it sounds like a low end Realistic on a stock mic when using AM. Improperly set and people will be asking you if you're on lower or upper side band. It gets muffled and distorted long before it gets loud and punchy on AM. I've modified several so they modulate an RF stage in AM but it gets real complicated on these smaller radios.

I found this diagram on-line and since I'm a Tech and don't Do HF under 11 meters, I will just need a decent 10/11 meter 1/4 wave for "HF"

slide1.jpg

That diagram shows me the setup I need(for two antennas, minus the screwdriver antenna wiring, replace the MFJ-907 with a X-force amp)

I think three antennas would be too much and look hideous.

id skip the cobra 75 all together . it is not a 10 meter radio at all , its not even a good cb radio .
i also wouldn't put a class c cb amp in any cb set up . i certainly wouldn't put one behind a icom or yaesu .

I'd use an icom 706mk2g,two so239 type mounts,and grab some sirio mobile whips like the hp4000 for 10/11m and the hp2070 for 2m/70cm,then all you need is a 6m whip you can swop out.

i've lost count the amount of bad boy hams that have appeared on 11m asking what antenna i'm using mobile,thinking it was an expensive ham one,because the hp4000 rocks on 10/11m ssb.

so239 mounts are by far the most vesatile mobile mounts and can handle up to around 500w comfortably.you can also get screw on caps for them to keep the water out when not using them,which keeps them looking tidy too.

the 706 is a fantastic radio,used it on 11m hundreds of times with hp4000 to talk all over the world and its never let me down once.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.