• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need some help setting up hi fi audio

tootall170

Jan 2, 2017
hello there i picked up my hi fi stuff the other week and i want that clean compressed mustang 131 sound
at the moment its like motor mouth maul fills the speaker and bass but i want that real hi fi sound

im running a stickman built galaxy 2917 direct audio injected
benringer pro studio audio setup driving the galaxy

anyone know how to fine tune the beringer components i messed with it some and cleaned it up but its not giving me the real compressed sound im after

please reply

Reactions: Sonar

You dont want compression then, you want hard brick wall limiters. My final limiter I run .01ms - .1ms on the attack, You want just low enough to catch your highs and over shoots. My release is about 50ms - 100ms. 100ms being pretty transparent and 50ms you can start hearing the effect on your lows adding loudness and some saturated harmonics from the clipping of (longer) low end frequencies. Then wrap that up with 20db of reduction.

i picked up my hi fi stuff the other week and i want that clean compressed mustang 131 sound
at the moment its like motor mouth maul fills the speaker and bass but i want that real hi fi sound
What do you want to sound like, & can you please find an example on YouTube?

I'm running a Galaxy 2517 direct injected w/
"behringer pro studio audio setup" driving the 2517.
What microphone, & which model Behringer?

anyone know how to fine tune the beringer components...cleaned it up but its not giving me the real compressed sound im after
It's hard to teach you how to run your equipment (of which I've no experience with) in one post in this thread, over the internet; sorry, I just don't know what to recommend you. Other than go online and read, and play + adjust, sample the transmitted audio, do not rely on "talk back" if you have that.

Last edited:
I would spend some time on youtube searching videos on processing vocals for recording or podcasting, wouldn't be a bad idea to learn a bit about processing in general.

hello there i picked up my hi fi stuff the other week and i want that clean compressed mustang 131 sound

anyone know how to fine tune the beringer components i messed with it some and cleaned it up but its not giving me the real compressed sound im after

please reply

Thanks for the props!

The best piece of gear I have is my ears. Find a radio that doesn't overload and listen to your audio as you xmit into a dummy load.
Don't use any processing, don't equilize or use any effects. Start from scratch and you might surprise yourself. Stickman does a good job at wodebanding, but roll those highs and lows off a bit. I like more brightness than mud. Less is more, for 20+ years I only used a 220 a Heil Goldline on either my Ranger or B&W.

Where can someone find out more about this "Stickman"? I've been looking for a shop/tech that knows the ins and outs of audio bandwidth mods.

Where can someone find out more about this "Stickman"? I've been looking for a shop/tech that knows the ins and outs of audio bandwidth mods.

He's a super nice guy, I like him because hes a fairly modest tech.

Last I heard he was really sick and getting behind on radio work. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dropmaul99 Get some popcorn hes long winded.... lol

please reply
If you wanna sound like 131, get a Dave Made transmitter. I think he runs the AM only model.
The AM/SSB one sounds as good on SSB as it does on AM. Good luck.

If you wanna sound like 131, get a Dave Made transmitter. I think he runs the AM only model.
The AM/SSB one sounds as good on SSB as it does on AM. Good luck.

It helps...alot. But it will sound shitty if not setup right. And most can't tell the difference when I switch it up. I was bugging Dave for years to build that. I have gates 15 years before that rig, and I sound the same.
Stick or Dave can't make a hell of good radio, but they can't make you sound good. Just saying you need an ear to hear your audio.

He's a super nice guy, I like him because hes a fairly modest tech.

Last I heard he was really sick and getting behind on radio work. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dropmaul99 Get some popcorn hes long winded.... lol

I already found his YouTube channel, seems like a down to earth guy. I'll have to keep him in mind for a future project I've been thinking about. I have to go through his videos and see what he thinks of SMT first though.

Sorry to hear about his sickness, hope everything turns out well for him.

It helps...alot. But it will sound shitty if not setup right. And most can't tell the difference when I switch it up. I was bugging Dave for years to build that. I have gates 15 years before that rig, and I sound the same.
Stick or Dave can't make a hell of good radio, but they can't make you sound good. Just saying you need an ear to hear your audio.
I agree 100%. There are no easy ways to get what many refer to as "Hi-Fi" sound. Even with the proper equipment it takes quite a while and I'm not talking hours. I'm talking weeks or months to get it dialed in and I'm sure you can confirm that. Some who are knowledgeable enough to get it right are never truly there or satisfied. They just have to keep throwing switches, turning knobs and pushing sliders. Until someone builds a truly plug-and-play (if it's even possible) transmitter, I'll stick to what I have. I am totally content and enjoy the hobby. I've heard many of those direct injected, Asymod, MMM and the like, and In all honesty I'd say 2 out of 10 stations got it dialed. Three sound ok but their not fun listing to for long periods and the the last 5 would sound better with a stock cobra and good mic. Just like everything else it's what someone wants and how far they're willing to go to get to where that setup truly sounds incredible. For me it's just too much time, work and what a lot of people who hear these HiFi stations don't understand one needs a grasp of the technical aspects of audio and radio communications, which I myself do not have. If someone who's been using an off the shelf cb for years thinks their going to easily work all the equipment needed to sound HiFi they've got a big surprise waiting for them. There is a local in my area that uses a stock ts-570 s, a studio mic (on AM), and sounds spectacular. I had a qso with a station from the Bahamas on upper SSB who was using a Cobra 148 with a modified d104 and his audio was incredible. It doesn't take that much money or time get a 11 meter cb radio and mic setup that will get unsolicited excellent reports on a regular basis. Happy New Year 131. 73

Reactions: tuner and LeapFrog
i have a guy down the street he uses his hi fi shit. he bleeds 15 channels each way. makes radio no fun for me anymore.

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated