• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some info on the Moonraker 6

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Hello all. Been a long time since I’ve been on. I recently came across a Moonraker 6 that’s been sitting in a garage for many years not being used. Great shape the guy says and everything is there. I have 2 questions as I’m unable to dig up any information.

1. What wattage capabilities does the MR6 have?
2. Can I stack a ground plane on top of it (Maco V58)? If so, what do I need to do so?

Thanks guys

Dmans

Jan 22, 2017
Georgia
Avanti advertised the Moonraker 4 (AV140) at 1000 watts power handling. I am sure they used the same gamma matches on the Moonraker 6 (AV146) so power handling would likely be the same.

Years ago (25+) I installed a Moonraker 4 on a 70 foot tower with a ground plane above it (same mast). It seems a 12-15 mast above the boom was used, worked and tuned well and as far as I know it is still up and in use.

In hindsight a fiberglass mast to support the ground plane would probably have work better.

Link to AV-146 instruction manual below.

Good Luck.

David

Reactions: Keto

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Avanti advertised the Moonraker 4 (AV140) at 1000 watts power handling. I am sure they used the same gamma matches on the Moonraker 6 (AV146) so power handling would likely be the same.

Years ago (25+) I installed a Moonraker 4 on a 70 foot tower with a ground plane above it (same mast). It seems a 12-15 mast above the boom was used, worked and tuned well and as far as I know it is still up and in use.

In hindsight a fiberglass mast to support the ground plane would probably have work better.

Link to AV-146 instruction manual below.

Good Luck.

David
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of anywhere that makes a current production gamma that will work on the MR6? Or will I have to search the web until I find one from years ago? Thanks.

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Below is a few links for Maco High Power Gamma Matches. I can't say if they will work on the Avanti or not though.

David
Thanks. I will look into that. Also, I found these on eBay. Seller has high feedback. Do these look correct?

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
The ebay ones look like they should work. The Maco ones I would think will as well. One thing you have to look for on the old Moonraker antennas are the hubs being cracked. Also lots of folks used to pin the hub to the boom so they don't move.

Reactions: 007_man

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    100W on FT8......1500W on CW/SSB
  • @ BJ radionut:
    We have a pronounced focus on human modes:ROFLMAO::cool:
  • @ BJ radionut:
    There will be NO FT8 robots running unattended at Bouvet,:ROFLMAO:
  • @ BJ radionut:
    10M BAND.....>28400 SSB .... Always give your full callsign. Listening is the key so be sure we call you before replying. 3Y0J will always listen up (using split) so it will be useless to call us on our transmission frequency.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I like these guys already. :cool: Sounds to me like ROBO callers in ANY Mode will be ignored!!!!(y)