• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some info on the Moonraker 6

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Hello all. Been a long time since I’ve been on. I recently came across a Moonraker 6 that’s been sitting in a garage for many years not being used. Great shape the guy says and everything is there. I have 2 questions as I’m unable to dig up any information.

1. What wattage capabilities does the MR6 have?
2. Can I stack a ground plane on top of it (Maco V58)? If so, what do I need to do so?

Thanks guys

Avanti advertised the Moonraker 4 (AV140) at 1000 watts power handling. I am sure they used the same gamma matches on the Moonraker 6 (AV146) so power handling would likely be the same.

Years ago (25+) I installed a Moonraker 4 on a 70 foot tower with a ground plane above it (same mast). It seems a 12-15 mast above the boom was used, worked and tuned well and as far as I know it is still up and in use.

In hindsight a fiberglass mast to support the ground plane would probably have work better.

Link to AV-146 instruction manual below.

Good Luck.

David

Reactions: Keto
Avanti advertised the Moonraker 4 (AV140) at 1000 watts power handling. I am sure they used the same gamma matches on the Moonraker 6 (AV146) so power handling would likely be the same.

Years ago (25+) I installed a Moonraker 4 on a 70 foot tower with a ground plane above it (same mast). It seems a 12-15 mast above the boom was used, worked and tuned well and as far as I know it is still up and in use.

In hindsight a fiberglass mast to support the ground plane would probably have work better.

Link to AV-146 instruction manual below.

Good Luck.

David
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of anywhere that makes a current production gamma that will work on the MR6? Or will I have to search the web until I find one from years ago? Thanks.

Below is a few links for Maco High Power Gamma Matches. I can't say if they will work on the Avanti or not though.

David
Thanks. I will look into that. Also, I found these on eBay. Seller has high feedback. Do these look correct?

Reactions: Tokin
The ebay ones look like they should work. The Maco ones I would think will as well. One thing you have to look for on the old Moonraker antennas are the hubs being cracked. Also lots of folks used to pin the hub to the boom so they don't move.

Reactions: 007_man
Hey guys. Update of where I am in my restore process. Going with Maco gammas and hardware. I have 3 more questions.

Question 1: The original fiberglass guy cables on the antenna are completely shot and no good. I have done some research and for replacement, I think I am going to use Phillystran cable. But unsure of how much footage I need to buy. The owners manual states “(8) 3/16 x 12’ long fiberglass rods”. That comes out to 96’. I’m unable to find any good photos on a MR6 so I don’t know if that is a typo in the manual or it actually has 96’ worth of guy cable? If anyone has a good photo(s) of a Avanti AV-146 MR6 it would be a HUGE help.

Question 2: I came across these gamma studs on eBay. States it fits MR 4 and “some” MR 6 antennas in the description. Again, I’ve done some digging and unable to figure out where the heck these go and/or if they can even be used on my MR 6.

Question 3: If I use small turn buckles for the guy tension on the Phillystran, will I be likely to get reflection and a high SWR?

NOTE: link for question 2 is here:

Thanks guys.

Thanks. I will look into that. Also, I found these on eBay. Seller has high feedback. Do these look correct?

Just bought a 10kw gamma from this seller for my sirio sy4 and it fits fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated