• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions on a radio... AM/SSB

mroneeyedboh

Mar 9, 2014
Hey guys,
Im brand new to radios and looking for one that is good in both AM and SSB. I started off looking for a Cobra, then went to a General Lee, then an amp driven Lee and now Im looking for something with SSB. I thought ehh why not. Id rather have it and not use it then to want it later. I have the mindset of buy once, cry once... to an extent.

Im looking for a radio that is capable of AM and SSB but that isnt plagued by drifting on SSB and the other odd things that can happen while on SSB. I know AM is pretty straight forward. Id like to be around 200-300w if at all possible. So I dont know if its worth buying something low powered and then adding 2-300w or buying a HP radio and adding an amp.

I was looking at the stryker955 which seems to be 100%, but I seen people say its hard to get used to etc. Now is that because its a new layout design that the more seasoned guys arent used to ( Less toggles etc )? If thats the case then, if I'll be learning on the 955, it shouldn't be any different then me learning on a more traditional style, right?

My price range is around the stryker-955's price. Id also like suggestions on an amp as well.. possibly the MF200-300?

Thanks guys!

Exports in general will take some getting used to, as will SSB if your not used to it. The learning curve is not too steep though. Can't go wrong with either radio mentioned, it comes down to preference. The stryker seems a little high priced for what you get, but from what I understand the build quality is supposed to be good. RCI 2950 is another that always seems to come up when your discussing SSB radios.

Hey guys,

Im looking for a radio that is capable of AM and SSB but that isnt plagued by drifting on SSB and the other odd things that can happen while on SSB. I know AM is pretty straight forward. Id like to be around 200-300w if at all possible.

Kenwood TS480HX with the SO-3 TXCO option. 200W out the back and the SO-3 guarantees no drift.

Without a temperature controlled TXCO you're going to get drift. Even with a TXCO you will however it'll be so little you won't notice. All of the radios mentioned and pretty much every single CB/Export you can buy drifts. Hell my £1400 Kenwood TS590 does unless I fit the optional TXCO.

How are the rci's in terms of on air sound quality? What about their PEP and RMS when tuned? What about over all quality? Assuming the 2970 is the top?

Last edited:
if the 2970's are based off the 2950, the receive is noisy loud,, any of the rci radio's you buy will need added work to make them a good radio,, go for the optima mk3 and be done right out of the box.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll check out that optima again. Any certain mods worth doing to it, or just a normal Peak and tune?

pick up a clone HM36 mic off ebay, and use it right out of the box,, if anything just turn up the am mod a bit if you use am(you can do this yourself as the adjustments are all labeled ),, but I wouldn't be having anyone mess with it really,, its a great radio without doing any work to it.

from the other post about the optima mk3:

the only thing I can think of is the stock mic isn't the best, but the clone hm36 mics for around $29 really wake it up, they are a electret element powered from the radio. the receive is great, it has a switchable ssb filter, 5khz default tuning steps(no bands to mess with), built in fan on the heatsink, memory channels that also remember the mode you were in(am,fm,usb,lsb) and variable power, clarifier comes unlocked and the radio is very stable on ssb.

If you think about it, most of the features that come on the optima are things most people pay to have done to their radio's after they purchase them!

Anyone every heard of the stryker 955 being bad at times on SSB because of the AGC?

ssb sounds very bad, no fix yet. mine got sold off cheap because of this,, even gave stryker a few times to fix it and I was told several times there is nothing wrong with it,, they even sent me another new radio, same issue

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.