• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions on a radio... AM/SSB

And thats on a 400$ radio? I seen some people say its all good and other ( like yourself ) have had problems.

Is there any other radios you recommend other than the one you listed?

Wait a minute lol Isnt the Optima a Magnum 257? lol. One thing I noticed about the mag 257 is that it doesnt have a true frequency counter, so as you mess with the clarifier it doesnt adjust on the screen showing where you're at.. Does the Optimum do that>?

Wait a minute lol Isnt the Optima a Magnum 257? lol. One thing I noticed about the mag 257 is that it doesnt have a true frequency counter, so as you mess with the clarifier it doesnt adjust on the screen showing where you're at.. Does the Optimum do that>?

Pour a cup of coffee and read all the threads on both radios. There's plenty of info.

nope magnum 257 is not an optima, same looking housing but that's it.. the optima is a freq display not a counter,, and the clarifier is unlocked and works fine. tuning is done in 5khz default, you can select 1,5,10,100khz and 1mhz steps for tuning

Yeah just came across one where you and the other guy here helping me were talking about the 257 vs. optima and the Optima won. But Ive heard that the Optima doesnt talk well on AM. I wanted something that would do both. But it looks like I would have to get an AM for the truck and SSB for the home?

Optima is the best bang for the buck out there. If your buy one you will NOT be disappointed, they work fantastic, I found a used HM-12 mic on Ebay for 15 bucks, works as good as the HM-36 if not better because the HM-12 was a true Japan made one not a knock off Chinese copy that they did with the HM-36

Attachments

• optima 3-2-12.jpg
    optima 3-2-12.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 person
I believe all that is needed for the optima is a good mic. Seems people are having good luck with the hm-36 clone mic's. Have heard nothing but good reviews about the optima mk3. I am currently running the magnum 257hp. Great radio they just don't make them anymore. I believe magnum is going to be coming out with some new radios soon. May want to hold off a bit. JMO. Or look around for a kenwood ts-50. Again JMO. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. If you want a powerful radio, maybe look at the RCI 2970N2. Have a good tech do the work on the radio. This is probably the most important thing. DTB radio, BELLS cb shop. Doug's custom cb's are a few that come to mind. Check out Doug's custom cb shop. You can email him with any questions you have and he will answer them pretty fast from what I have found. Very nice customer service and one heck of a good tech IMO. Just whatever radio you get, may it be the optima or any other radio, don't have a peak and tune done, have the tech do a good alignment and make sure power output is set at stock power. The next major thing to consider if you haven't already is investing in a good antenna system if you haven't already. Your radio is only going to be as good as the antenna system that is running it. Don't skimp out on the antenna system and pay 4-500 for a a radio. Spend some money on a good antenna system and you can talk around the world on 100 watts, when the conditions allow that is. Good luck and god bless.

What is the procedure to allow for 11 meter operation on current shipping Optima MKIII ?

Didn't it go from just moving a jumper to now having to solder on the board?

ssb sounds very bad, no fix yet. mine got sold off cheap because of this,, even gave stryker a few times to fix it and I was told several times there is nothing wrong with it,, they even sent me another new radio, same issue

Well your a fool i guess, the Stryker 955 is a SUPERB radio............NUFF said. I just love these BS threads from idiots who know nothing. That's right....BAMM... you heard what I said. Go chase your tail clown.

I know man. Are there any other alternatives in the 100w range? Why do you say its expensive? Just the cost at 100w or the quality vs. Cost factor?

How is the optima's sensitivity on AM?

I'd also like to have a counter for the freq too. Since I'm new to this any help on SSB and when I can see the counting of freqs it may help me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.