• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions on a radio... AM/SSB

Well your a fool i guess, the Stryker 955 is a SUPERB radio............NUFF said. I just love these BS threads from idiots who know nothing. That's right....BAMM... you heard what I said. Go chase your tail clown.

Some people that own and pay that much for turds just can't bring themselves to badmouth their purchase. Instead, they exhibit fondness.

I think this sums it up nicely,, ha ha

ya I really wanted the 955 to get fixed when I sent it in and when after 2 repair trys, they say its normal and send another radio and its the same thing,, I wouldn't have gotten rid of it if the ssb receive audio was good, but to be honest out of the 7 radios I have here currently the 955 was just horrible, over loaded, distorted sounding, where all the other radios I had have a very nice clear clean audio

if im a FOOL and an IDIOT for getting rid of a turd, SO BE IT!

Last edited:
How is the optima's sensitivity on AM?

I'd also like to have a counter for the freq too. Since I'm new to this any help on SSB and when I can see the counting of freqs it may help me.

I use the optima mostly on ssb but now and then we go on am and it works just fine and does what it should do.

don't worry about the freq display vs a radio with a counter,,, just pick your freq, and use the clarifier to fine tune just like any other radio and you then know you will be transmitting on the same freq as them

most cb radios that have a actuall counter only go to the 3rd or 4th digit anyways so it really doesn't help that much,, the counter could show 27.385 but you could be on 27.385.900 good luck being heard there

Attachments

• galaxy 959.jpg
    galaxy 959.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 48
Oh okay so the clarifier just fine tunes the freq up and down a little? I thought it just filtered the freq some.

How does the optima do on AM .. I'd be using the CB band on standard 40 channels too.

What about an amp for it or alignment? I ask just because I've seen it mentioned so much. It could only help right

To get to 100 watt area, you could try and find a kenwood ts-50, magnum257hp, RCI2970, stryker 955hp. Or get a true ham radio that has an output of 100 watts (more money). If power is the concern get the RCI2970, Doug's custom cb's is where I would buy one from and let him know not to turn the output up as you may be having some long winded conversations and you want the radio to stay cool. Then like I said. Not matter what radio you end up getting, your antenna system should be the main focus if that has not already been addressed. Yes there were some stryker radios that had issues, when you sell a lot of radios, there will be some that are bad, nature of the beast. But from all reports I have heard the stryker 955hp is a good radio. I actually emailed Doug's custom cb's and asked about both the rci 2970 and the stryker 955hp, and believe it or not, Doug recommend rhe stryker over the rci. Money was not the issue either. Yes there will be some that have bad experience with certain radios, it happens to all of us that have the radio bug. Most of the time you get a great radio. Make some phone calls to the listed technician shops that work on them and ask their opinion. See what each one has to say. Good luck finding a radio and god bless.

Welcome to the world of Constantly Buying or more commonly known as Citizens Band.
Having had many types of radios I find that a AM/SSB Cb radio will have some AM performance trade offs for having the SSB mode.
If it were me I look for a radio which has good quality SSB performance first.
Am is not that important to me. For you it may well be so consider that you may want a radio that has acceptable quality on SSB and better than average Am performance.

I find SSB to be a much better mode of communication than AM. Longer talking distance locally with less output power for example. When conditions are right the same could be said for making Dx contacts.

Not trying to say a AM/SSB Cb radio cant sound good on AM while still having good quality SSB performance. It just can be a trade off over which band is more important to you the operator.

Yeah I know what you're saying.. I just don't wanna buy another radio later.. I'd rather do it now and get it over with, ya know? I know. I know lol buy I don't wanna have 6 radios lol. This is my first radio so I don't know who's talking on what in my area...

Get the stryker 955. High power, people will ask you what radio are you just because of the audio. Great functions. I mean you can unlock the clarifier with a button and relock it. Sideband is great. 2510 great. If i was new and this radio was available i'd jump on it. Have the shop tune it up and enjoy. You'll have locals asking you to sell it to them about 3 times a month 73's

You're right I am haha. How come someone new make a choice when whatever radio you go with has 50% good and 50% bad reviews? Its damn near impossible to make a choice. The only radio I have read about that gets 100% good reviews is the General Lee. I know its not SSB, but damn. Not one negative review Ive seen yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.