• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need to build 2ellement beam?

You will have better bandwidth with a quad antenna if you can handle the size of it. Just do a Google search for "two element yagi" or "two element quad". You will have more info than you can handle.Some of the best two element yagis were from Raibeam and MUCH to my surprise they are still in business. I thought they packed it in years ago. :confused:

Raibeam Antennas

A 2 element yagi can be a surprisingly effective antenna-- surprising in that most people don't consider a beam worth having if it doesn't have 5 or 6 elements, which is wrong. It is true a quad will give more gain, and I like quads but they are harder to build and handle.

A couple of questions before I say anything else-- are you considering a vertical or horizontal beam? What are you looking for in terms of wideband coverage?

I took down a 2 element quad and replaced it with a multiband 2 element yagi, and other than a better f/b ratio on the quad I didn't see much difference in the performance of the two antennas. I worked several stations on the 2 element beam I could not even hear on the vertical and dipole.

I am currently running a 2 element homemade Quad, and I briefly ran a 2 element homemade Yagi horizontally. The Yagi design was a driven element and a director. Both were surprises for me in terms of DX. The Quad is vertically polarized, so I can talk locally with it, but I must say that the horizontal Yagi is a great choice if not wanting to talk to local vertical polarized stations. I did not run the Yagi vertically.

Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.