• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need to splice outside coax

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
I need to install a lightning arrestor, which I guess goes outside, so I need to splice it into my LMR400. Are crimp connectors ok or will I have to solder it?

I used crimp connectors on my LMR 400 and found the center conductor did not bond well so I went back and soldered the center conductor and all is well.

Many love crimp connectors while many hate them. I m on the fence. I believe they are OK as long as you use the proper crimp tool and solder the tip of the center connector. I have been thinking about starting to use them but just havent made the jump yet. The big thing is waterproofing any type connector wether crimp type or solder.

I use crimp connectors for all my connections. The simplicity of using them is great. As CK stated, make sure that you use the proper crimping tool and solder the center conductor well. Invest in a proper crimper, it is well worth the price. I think I paid about $45 for mine. I make all my own cables and it has already paid for it's self. Just take your time when doing it and it will turn out well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Running lmr400 here base and mobile. Mobile is crimp due to vibrations. Base is solder. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and do it right the first time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

FWIW
I'm not a big fan of crimp connectors on RF feed lines. If they are done correctly then they are typically going to work just fine, and I am using one. The more movement associated with those crimped connectors the more likely they are to fail over time. Where connectors are inaccessible, or are a lot of trouble to access, or are removed/replaced fairly often, more care has to be taken with them.
Convenient means more care has to be taken with it because you always 'pay' for convenience in some way. If you are comfortable with the 'type' of payment required, then have at it!
- 'Doc

(I've run across one type of crimp connector (PL-259) that I haven't managed to screw up (yet!). It's sold by Radio Shack, ain't that a hoot!).

if you run a 400 to 500 watt amp or you decide to run power dont waste your time with that. it will pop . use an old fashion grounding rod .

The lightning arrestors case would be connected to a ground rod. They are useless without one. As for them going "pop", buy a better unit. I.C.E makes a better unit than the Polyphaser brand. There have been several complaints about the Polyphaser units tripping on much less than legal limit. It appears that the I.C.E brand will stand up to full legal limit and then some and a bit more after that. Check out the Eham reviews of the Polyphasers. I was going to order them until I started digging up some info and opted for the I.C.E. brand instead. Now if Array Solutions would only hurry up and ship the damn things. :censored:

My coax is near the house ground rod so I just peeled away the outer skin then wrapped more outer braid at that location and soldered then sealed the injury with liquid and pvc electrical tape and called it viola

My coax is near the house ground rod so I just peeled away the outer skin then wrapped more outer braid at that location and soldered then sealed the injury with liquid and pvc electrical tape and called it viola

I'm afraid you're wrong there. You should call it voila, this is a viola:

Attachments

• viola3.jpg
    viola3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 252
What's the difference between a viola and an onion? Nobody cries when you chop up a viola.

What's the difference between a violin and a viola? The viola is larger, so it burns longer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.