• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need your thought again gurus...

Yes, typically external speaker jacks on radios are 3.5 mm and external speakers use 3.5 mm plugs.

Does it need an external power supply? I wonder if the wall wart I use on my mfj949E will work on it...

Should be plug and play then. Read the manual before you start messing with it. Just what I would do. They most likely will have some settings to help get you started. Again if you buy it for the price it's worth as long as it works. If you can verify this before purchasing it then I would grab it up. If not someone most likely will unless it's a close friend or something. Keep us updated.

Will do. :)

Yes they do require a +12vdc source. Can be a power supply or could be a plug, doesn't specify in the manual. Also like fourstringburn stated, these units cost about $279 new. So like said if you can get it for $65 grab it. I'm sure you could resell it if anything and make money or at least break even worst case, unless it doesn't work at all. Here are a couple pics from MFJ's site.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 175
  • image.png
    image.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 198
Hehehe yep, I actually checked prices already(I usually do before buying anything). I have the manual downloaded too but I still haven't looked at it since it'll be a while before I can get back to the place it's at. A couple of typhoons are making the boat ride to and back uncomfortable if not hazardous.

Man, sounds like some bad weather, be safe!! At any rate you'll get some type of plug with it. It may be a plug for the wall, +12vdc, or it could be a plug with just 2 wires that you have to connect yourself. I would venture to say it will have a wall plug. Again, be safe and hope to that the weather passes you without any damage to your QTH. By the sound of it, I don't think it's going anywhere. I don't think I'd be too swift to get it as well given the weather situation if you know it's not moving.

Man, sounds like some bad weather, be safe!! At any rate you'll get some type of plug with it. It may be a plug for the wall, +12vdc, or it could be a plug with just 2 wires that you have to connect yourself. I would venture to say it will have a wall plug. Again, be safe and hope to that the weather passes you without any damage to your QTH. By the sound of it, I don't think it's going anywhere. I don't think I'd be too swift to get it as well given the weather situation if you know it's not moving.

Thanks, for the concern.

Yes. I'll try a wall wart and if that doesn't work. I still have a couple terminals free on my PSU.

Reactions: 222DBFL
MFJ recommends against a wall wart.

Read some interesting reviews this evening. The ham fisted and impatient are repulsed, as adjustments are many and can be in tiny increments.

Several reviews mentioned “just play with it” (it’ll talk to you), and success was found by those.

Looks as though — if presets aren’t ideal — that making one’s own pre-sets is the way to go.

I was attracted as higher levels of filtration are said to NOT produce the watery or warbly audio on other (lesser) DSP units.

Also that several preferred using it with DSP-enabled transceivers such as the YAESU ft450; greater level of filter sophistication.

Used models I saw were at the $100 mark. New, $250.

In production since 1996.

Review at MONITORING TIMES (AD 2000) best read.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?