• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Needing help with a galaxy 1000 amplifier

dsmason1

Aug 2, 2023
Hello,

I have just picked up an old Galaxy 1000 and I am wanting to put it back in use. While checking it out and getting a parts list of
caps to replace I noticed a scraping sound coming from the antenna load cap when I turn it. I hooked my meter across the cap
and set it to resistance. When I turn the cap I will see a low resistance like it is shorting when I turn it.

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement variable cap for it? and if anyone has any schematics for it I would appreciate them too.

Thanks

David Mason

Ahh, the "Load" control? Or the final Plate Tune? Or the driver Tune on the rear panel?

Those are the three air-variable caps I remember in this model. Seems to me all three are different.

For reference purposes, the simplest source for this kind of part would be RF Parts Inc. Their capacitor page is here: https://www.rfparts.com/capacitors.html

The schematic is a little bit like the wiring diagram for a particular make/model passenger car. The year it was made will matter, sometimes it matters a lot. This amplifier was built with several different type tubes, depending on what could be bought cheap that year. The schematic is only a "snapshot" from one year's design. Won't be right for an older 1000, or a newer one, probably.

And if your has tubes marked "8975", that is a bogus number not found in any legitimate industrial database. They used a russky tube, but the original number escapes me for the moment. A USA equivalent number was 6KG6. Seems to me there was also a european-type number EL-something, but memory fails me.

And if yours is old enough to have 8950 tubes, none of that matters.

Attachments

• g1000s1.jpg
    g1000s1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks, I have looked at it some more, there are (5) 30KD6 tubes and it is the ant load variable cap that needs replaced. would this give anyone an idea of the year that the amp was made?

Thanks

Don't know how well it would fit, but this one would be stout enough for the power level.

https://www.rfparts.com/capacitors/capacitor-airvariable-panel-mount/ecv-3ha43-p.html

This one is probably closer to what it was built with.

https://www.rfparts.com/capacitors/capacitor-airvariable-panel-mount/20apl300de.html

I don't remember the mounting details of the factory control, so getting one that mechanically "drops in" calls for a replacement that looks like the old one.

Or a willingness to drill new mount holes when the old ones don't line up with the new part.

There are other caps on that site that might do the job, but I'm pretty sure these are the cheapest that will hold up at that power level.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Another alternative us to just figure out which plate is bent and bend it back. If it's burnt and melted, use needle nose pliers to remove the plate it hits on the rotor side. As long as the amp tunes before the load cap is fully meshed, the missing plate didn't mater and it's removal will make tuning less course.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.