• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Neighbor has turned me into an alligator

tba02

WOOF
Jan 26, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Somebody in my neighborhood has turned me into an alligator. When the skip was rolling in it wasn't as big of a deal, but when things are quiet it sure is a PITA. I first noticed it at the beginning of April. I killed all the power to the house and it was till present. After some various testing and a little luck I hit on the fact it was something on a timer. Now, nobody in my area has a sprinkler system or anything of the sorts. The most likely possibility is grow lights and cheap ballasts (seeing as that sort of thing is common in this part N. California).

I've tried locating the source with a portable SW radio and a hand held scanner but haven't had much luck. I guess I'll have to mount a radio in the car and see if I can get a range and go from there. Maybe a cheap portable CB is in the cards.

Anyway, I just am whining for the sake of whining. If somebody has a suggestion regarding a cheap method of pinpointing the source (without me getting shot) I'd love to hear it.

Below is a short video of my noise level when it kicks in at 13:31 hours, daily. It lasts long after I have retired for the evening.

[youtube]8XAwZ_w1JJw[/youtube]

Last edited:

You already know what the problem is. Someone is growing pot in your neighborhood and you're not the first to complain about it in the forum. Last month the people who are suppose to prevent the sales of these interference causing ballasts (the FCC) , were informed by the ARRL they fumbled the ball again and would now have to backtrack to remove the defective products they missed from the market.

The problem is so big in California that you probably have two options. I can't imagine everyone in your state who is using this ballast actually has a pot growing license. I would check with your city to see who has been issued the nearest license in your city. If they have one it should be easy to find and inform them their license does not allow them to violate FCC federal laws regulating harmful interference.

If they don't have a license to grow, bust out your AM radio and tune it to the top of the dial where there are no stations and track down the interference noise. When you find them you could still let them know about the FCC violation and mention you know they don't have a license to grow either. That might entice them to spend a few dollars more on some good ballasts.

Ninety percent of your neighborhood was recently, and very legitimately, diagnosed with advance glaucoma and you need to just accept it and move on. :love: Pay no attention to the potheads behind the curtain. :w00t:

Reactions: 3 people
HAAA !! Who would have thought I get that same noise on my radio but not as bad I noticed it was there a few months back after I started my station up again an never gave it much thought I live on a dead end road an it always gets louder down the end of my street when I'm out mobile .Hmmm... with the amount of medical growing cards they hand out in this state in stands to reason I would have one on my street . Not sure I should have listen to that vid or not ?

The reality is that if I can track it down the only resolution will be to see if they are willing to replace them or see if I can filter them (if I can even get that far). Unless it is a larger growing operation, which I doubt, nobody, including the City/County/State will even bother to be concerned - licensed or not. Nor will they pretend.

I'll give the AM radio a workout this weekend and see what I can find.<can not stand it>

Sorry 357, didn't mean to ruin your day ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Good luck dude i have been out of the game for 2 month with interference 9s units of crap sucks
I hope you can fined the truble maker and clear it up...

Somebody in my neighborhood has turned me into an alligator. When the skip was rolling in it wasn't as big of a deal, but when things are quiet it sure is a PITA. I first noticed it at the beginning of April. I killed all the power to the house and it was till present. After some various testing and a little luck I hit on the fact it was something on a timer. Now, nobody in my area has a sprinkler system or anything of the sorts. The most likely possibility is grow lights and cheap ballasts (seeing as that sort of thing is common in this part N. California).

I've tried locating the source with a portable SW radio and a hand held scanner but haven't had much luck. I guess I'll have to mount a radio in the car and see if I can get a range and go from there. Maybe a cheap portable CB is in the cards.

Anyway, I just am whining for the sake of whining. If somebody has a suggestion regarding a cheap method of pinpointing the source (without me getting shot) I'd love to hear it.

Below is a short video of my noise level when it kicks in at 13:31 hours, daily. It lasts long after I have retired for the evening.

[youtube]8XAwZ_w1JJw[/youtube]
far as tracking it . use a low power cb that plugs into cig lighter and NO antenna.
when your right on top of it you,ll hear it ,even without a antenna. this is a old trick
i was taught many years ago to find people causing interference .just dont key the radio.
can always walk around with a walkie talkie too but without a meter its tuff.also make
absolute sure its not on your end, my noise problem is on my end

Out of curiosity I went by some ones house I know is a " Grower " the noise on my radio started two tenths of a mile before an after an when I was in front of the house it almost peg my needle ! Only two good things about this he is not that close to me an I didn't get shot at ! lol<can not stand it>

Or you could find them. Knock on the door. Explain the situation and see if they could change the day night cycle of the lights. Have them on during the day when u are at work. Not every problem requires the ham world to go crying to Uncle Sam.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.