• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 667V issues

On both of my 667V's, R3 ties to R2 on a post on the power switch to ground as a way of swamping the input wattage, so you don't overdrive the driver transistor, and the variable resistor. Also, the way the variable is wired doesn't match, either. Doesn't even look like it's wired correctly to properly utilize the variable.

Texas Star has been known to just install "Eh, that's close enough" value components to certain areas of the amp... maybe they just run out of a certain value, and stick something else in that's close... I don't know.

Here's a pic of a largely "un-modified" 667. I moved the big capacitor near the relay so the SSB delay would work at all power levels, and R3 (75 ohms) had to be changed because the amp was overdriven before I got it, and burned out the resistor. 20200809_112018.jpg

The things circled in red have been changed/modified from original. The (2) 150 ohm resistors in parallel is R3, which goes to the post on the power switch and connects to R2, which is right behind the next switch down. The circles and arrows indicate where there are capacitors that may be needed to tune the stages. They are not present in the new amp, and may have to be installed at these spots to get the stages tuned correctly. The circle in purple is the variable, note that on my 667V, the top lug isn't even being used, and it adjusts from about 50W all the way up to full output as it should. The new amp is not wired this way, and it doesn't seem right, regardless of what they use for a driver, whether it's a 2SC2290 transistor, or a pair of IRF520 MOSFETS. I would think that the variable wouldn't adjust output correctly, but maybe there's some voodoo under the board that I don't know about.

Hope this helps.

~Cheers~

I see input & output caps, there's a semco style metal mica under the output combiner & a cap to ground on the input splitter,

what id like to know is have Texas star stopped using the 330pf caps from collector to ground since they changed to DIE pills, or did somebody forget to put them in.

A local buddy has ordered a new ts500v, he will probably be expecting it to perform on FM like his first new ts500 with pre red dot Toshiba & semco caps etc,

FM is MUCH harder on your amp & antenna than low duty SSB & big swing AM,
Can anybody smell smoke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.