• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Hey guys, managed to get about ~60 pages into the thread before I called it quits :redface:

Anyway, I'm looking to setup a base station here and need advice on an antenna. I don't have much room to work with, not much open area on our lot, mostly house, and the neighbors would not take too kindly to me throwing up a tower. As such, any antenna I put up would get maybe 5~10ft off the ground, and would be within 1 wavelength of the house (with metal gutters). As I understand, the Gainmaster is a great antenna, if you can give it plenty of room. Would it still be worthwhile given the space constraints, or are there other antennas that would perhaps work better?

Aloha,
Trevor, 304 in Honolulu, HI

Because the bottom of the GM is balanced with the top, it may not provide the best performance being so close to the ground. The Vector 4000 on the other hand is one antenna that is noted for maintaining good performance when mounted this close to the ground. The gamma setting may have to be adjusted a little but I think you'll like how it works at this restricted mounting height.

Reactions: 2 people
I tend to agree with Shockwave on this.
Although the V4k is quite tall, it is also more narrow than most.
Both work as an advantage for near ground mounted antennas.

Reactions: 2 people
look into the sirio top one also. probaly wont be as good as a vector
at that height . however the vector is 29 or 30 feet in lenth
something else to consider when ya decide on your antenna.
let us know what ya get and how it performs im really curious
cause im not able to get a antenna up really high either

His mast has considerable flex in it. Too long and thin for the job without guy wires IMO. I've seen my GM take 90 MPH in hurricane Sandy and the top bent over just about the same amount you see in this 40 to 50 MPH gust. However my mast is much more stable.

It looked to me that his mast was not quite up to the task. That would be the first thing to fail. I was studying the vid. The rf choke is a negative factor in high winds adding a greater wind load to the antenna. If you study the vid carefully, you'll see how the antenna is interacting with the mast. They looked out of snyc with each other. That might add undue stress between the vertical element and the choke. I would opt for a mast with not as much flex but still flex some. If the GM is designed right it shouldn't fail where the vertical meets the choke.

Last edited:
I have to say that the mast isn't the best/strongest in the world, but could be adequate if it was guyed. Un-guyed, it's just an additional contributor to the antenna flexing. From what I could tell, the choke is certainly contributing wind-load to the mast, but it's doing nothing to the antenna.
I'm just not a fan of multi-section vertical antennas, too much flex because of the joints. I'm familiar with high winds. I've also had verticals that tended to bend in those winds. There are limits with any antenna not just that particular one. But because of how that one is put together, it wouldn't be the best choice here.
- 'Doc

Well,we could always ask M42Duster. He's got one mounted. They only cost a couple of bills. It's not like sticking your pimped out Escalade up there. Replaceable.

40+mph wind is not my idea of strong wind, on the odd occasion we get 100+ winds,

There She Blows Photos by ukmudduck | Photobucket

im still waiting for very strong winds to test the local gainmaster survival rating, so far none have seen more than about 70-80mph, many antennas can withstand that.

Judging by all the vids I've seen so far,it looks like England gets pretty windy.
I got a new Sirio Vector 4000 in the box but I'm planning on moving to the eastern mountains on Tennessee.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.