• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Antenna Help Needed

moviking

Nov 24, 2011
Table Rock Lake, Branson mo area
Out in the country, contacts will be 10-15 miles plus, mild winters, highest winds here in 10 yrs were 60 mph (and that was only once) figureing up to 60 ft high, never was a big fiberglass fan (not saying it's bad, just not me) and need to keep the TVI as low as possible (few neighbors in sight, don't want anybody bitchin') and be able to handle up to 1kw.

I'm kinda down low here on the lake with hills behind me so east (and a beam) would be next to impossible (unless I put it on a 300 ft tower), I'm leaning towards a maco 5/8,

Any thoughts and or input would be appreciated. Don

The maco is a good antenna and there are many other's out there built heavier but that's where the performance comparison ends so yes the maco is ok.

i've been accused of far worse ...... and admit its pretty mild compared to my many other sins ;)

Reactions: 2 people
Astroplane. Not made anymore, but can be easily homebrewed, as can the Vector 4k. The Vector 4000 can still be purchased new.
Sometimes you can buy the Astroplane used.
If these don't appeal to you, the Workman 5/8 is a good alternative to the Maco 5/8. It's the Workman version, and cost less.

Astroplane. Not made anymore, but can be easily homebrewed, as can the Vector 4k. The Vector 4000 can still be purchased new.
Sometimes you can buy the Astroplane used.
If these don't appeal to you, the Workman 5/8 is a good alternative to the Maco 5/8. It's the Workman version, and cost less.

Thanks for the reply, funny you listed the astroplane, I've been thinking about them and the starduster, both were popular back in the 70's when I was big into this, funny though, people are still arguing over which is best, in 30+ yrs I would have guessed it would have been settled :bdh:

Also ran across the Mr Coily, $500, really :eek:

I'm looking at take off angles now and trying to learn where it makes the most difference, DXing or local talking.

And again thanks to all for the replys. Don

ultimate antenna

Out in the country, contacts will be 10-15 miles plus, mild winters, highest winds here in 10 yrs were 60 mph (and that was only once) figureing up to 60 ft high, never was a big fiberglass fan (not saying it's bad, just not me) and need to keep the TVI as low as possible (few neighbors in sight, don't want anybody bitchin') and be able to handle up to 1kw.

I'm kinda down low here on the lake with hills behind me so east (and a beam) would be next to impossible (unless I put it on a 300 ft tower), I'm leaning towards a maco 5/8,

Any thoughts and or input would be appreciated. Don

Home of the Interceptor 10* Antenna
Interceptor 10k

i was gonna say the I10k too. since eveyone seems to like them and talks about em alot. im also considering getting one myself once i get some extra cash. that way i can get rid if the old 30 year old Imax. :p though this 30 year old imax way out preforms that 10 year old A99 i had. lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.