• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New guy here

Pigpen

Jun 7, 2014
I have searches for hours. I just installed a cobra 29 soundtracker with 4 ft firestik on a dodge ram. Dead key is around 9 watts, is this correct? Swr is about 1.1-1.2. All done with built in meter. What external meter brand is decent for a good price also?
Thanks in advance.

Wait a second here. You cannot read what your radio is dead keying from the internal meter unless you have used an external meter and set it that way to match the internal meters s-rf meter. The internal meters are okay for checking swr but not to set them IMO. As far as meters go, radio shack swr/watt meter is the best bang for the buck IMO. They are relatively accurate and the price is good at 40 dollars new. I would definitely get an external meter and set the swr and then you will be able to see how many watts dead key tour radio does. If it's stock it will normally be 3-4 watts. If you don't know much about radios I would send it to a tech and have a tune and alignment done. JMO. Or just leave it stock and talk on it. Not sure what your intentions are. Are you just wanting to monitor traffic or do til want to rag chew with some friends? The first thing to do is get an external meter and set the swr correctly. Don't forget to get a jumper to go from the meter to the radio as well. A 2 or 3 ft jumper will work for what you need and radio shack has them in stock as well. I am not a fan of the radio shack coax myself and would check eBay for a 3ft coax jumper made from rg8x. JMO. But to get you going radio shack should Have a jumper that can be used. Hope this helps. God bless.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks. Just planning to use it in traffic during trips. I'll head on over to radio shack. Will that meter test the dead key also? And should the factory meter move when I talk?

Yes the radio shack is an swr and watt meter as well. And yes your factory meter should move during both transmission and receiving. Get the swr set correctly and just use it. JMO. Don't worry about how many watts it's doing. Make sure it's working and that your swr reading is good across the whole frequency band as in try to tune the antenna equally for channels 1 and 40. Inside the packing for the meter you should find directions as well to help guide you through using the meter. Anymore questions feel free to ask and there are no stupid questions. God bless.

Thanks. About to go out in the pasture to test swr. Radio meter swings plenty on receive. Running a firestik tunable tip btw

Thanks captain. Did my test with recommended meter from radio shack. Swr was in the 3's. Got it down to 1.5 on 1 and 1.3 on 40. Headed back to the highway for a test. What should I expect range wise with this setup?

Rule of thumb as they say, You should expect a 20 mile radius as far as distance but that isnt always so as it depends also on what the other people are running and how efficiant their setups are.

C.K. is right without any mods those stock radios are lucky to get 40 - 50% of there audio capabilities. The problem is you have to becareful because louder doesnt me better. Billy BigRigger CB fixer upper guy at the CB radio shop or the repair guy at the "Truck Stop" Radio Shop said Ill peak and tune that radio Ill crank it up so your whistling Dixe!! But what he fails to tell you hove filthy dirty that radio is gonna be and that your gonna be whistling dixe 10 channels up and 10 channels down the band AT THE SAME TIME!!

Yupp thats right its called senseless interference get your SWR good and dont worry about that so called SWING!!! There are reputable microphones you can run for that quality sound and you dont have to let someone mutalate and tear up your nice radio. Dont worry about not seeing that meter pin the other side when talking or transmitting that just means 9 times outta 10 you signal is clean aswell ;)

Thanks y'all! Really have been helpful. Got back from my last test and was running about 5 miles on hilly terrain clear sending and receiving. What mics do y'all recommend?

Pigpen,

you are being given good advice here, but let me take a guess as to what is happening with your system.

im wondering if you are checking/ setting the SWR correctly, so im going to explain how to do it. if you already know then no harm done.

the SWR meter does not do any actual tuning of the system, the ONLY thing it does is tell you how well your antenna is matched to the radio.

the SWR meter in the radio will work just fine for checking the SWR and also for setting the SWR. im not sure why people think that the internal meters dont work as well as the external ones. they are built the exact same way.

first, set the switch to the CAL position. turn the dynamike knob all the way to the left (CCW).
set the radio to channel 1.
key the microphone and turn the SWR CAL knob until the needle of the meter sits right on the little arrow marked CAL.
now switch the switch to the SWR position.
key the mic, and read the meter.
there are two scales on the meter. one is for incoming signal strength.
this is the scale that reads 1-3-5-7-9-+30, or something like that.
the ONLY thing that scale is meant for is a relative reading of the strength of an incoming signal. (more on that later)

the other scale is the SWR scale, and it probably reads 1-2-3 or something like that.

now, with the mic keyed, using the SWR scale, your reading should be no higher than a 2. preferably less than that, but anything less than 2 is ok.
make a note of the reading on channel 1.

now go to channel 40 and repeat the process. yes, you will have to re-calibrate the meter each time you check the SWR on a different channel.
make a note of the reading on channel 40.

if the reading on channel 40 is higher than the reading on channel 1, then your antenna is too long and needs to be shortened a bit. (start with about 1/4 inch increments)
if the reading on 40 is lower than the reading on 1, then the antenna is too short, and needs to be lengthened a bit.

that should settle the SWR confusion if there was any.

now for the "9 watt" deadkey.

any chance you read that "9" off of the radio's internal meter?
yep, thats right, you read the receive scale and since the needle moved to the "9" on that scale, you took that as your wattage output.

your radio is probably putting out about 3.5 to 4 watts, and the needle may move a tiny bit when you talk, but not much at all.

lastly, how did you mount your antenna and where?
you didnt mount it right behind the cab on the bed rail did you?
if so, its not going to work that great, but will still reach the truckers around you on the highway if thats your goal.

good luck,
LC

Reactions: 1 person
Pigpen,

you are being given good advice here, but let me take a guess as to what is happening with your system.

im wondering if you are checking/ setting the SWR correctly, so im going to explain how to do it. if you already know then no harm done.

the SWR meter does not do any actual tuning of the system, the ONLY thing it does is tell you how well your antenna is matched to the radio.

the SWR meter in the radio will work just fine for checking the SWR and also for setting the SWR. im not sure why people think that the internal meters dont work as well as the external ones. they are built the exact same way. ok but I did notice a change when using the external meter vs the built in ??

first, set the switch to the CAL position. turn the dynamike knob all the way to the left (CCW).
set the radio to channel 1.
key the microphone and turn the SWR CAL knob until the needle of the meter sits right on the little arrow marked CAL.
now switch the switch to the SWR position.
key the mic, and read the meter.
there are two scales on the meter. one is for incoming signal strength.
this is the scale that reads 1-3-5-7-9-+30, or something like that.
the ONLY thing that scale is meant for is a relative reading of the strength of an incoming signal. (more on that later)

the other scale is the SWR scale, and it probably reads 1-2-3 or something like that.

now, with the mic keyed, using the SWR scale, your reading should be no higher than a 2. preferably less than that, but anything less than 2 is ok.
make a note of the reading on channel 1.

now go to channel 40 and repeat the process. yes, you will have to re-calibrate the meter each time you check the SWR on a different channel.
make a note of the reading on channel 40.

if the reading on channel 40 is higher than the reading on channel 1, then your antenna is too long and needs to be shortened a bit. (start with about 1/4 inch increments)
if the reading on 40 is lower than the reading on 1, then the antenna is too short, and needs to be lengthened a bit.

that should settle the SWR confusion if there was any.

now for the "9 watt" deadkey.

any chance you read that "9" off of the radio's internal meter?yes I am. Is there a way to tell DK power on internal meter?
yep, thats right, you read the receive scale and since the needle moved to the "9" on that scale, you took that as your wattage output.

your radio is probably putting out about 3.5 to 4 watts, and the needle may move a tiny bit when you talk, but not much at all.

lastly, how did you mount your antenna and where? yes but as far left as possible with about 2 feet above cab with a spring and quick disconnect. I do have a 102" whip I could try, but my last test on highway yeilded a 5 mile range loud and clear, could probably have gotten farther, considering I'll also use mine off road with hunting buddies I didn't want to go mag mount on roof and had enough trouble convincing myself to drill into bed rail much less roof
you didnt mount it right behind the cab on the bed rail did you?
if so, its not going to work that great, but will still reach the truckers around you on the highway if thats your goal.

good luck,
LC

Thanks!

lots of variables here. how much of a difference did you notice between the internal and external meters?

the fact that you noticed a difference says more about the fact that you have some sort of antenna issue, than it does about the meters themselves.

remember that the spring and the quick disconnect both add length to the antenna, and if they didnt come with the antenna (IE they weren't designed to be used with this particular antenna) they could be throwing your SWR off.

is this a firestik antenna? if so, be sure to use the entire length of coax that comes with it (about 18 ft). firestik antennas use that particular length of coax to help tune their antennas. (not a very good design)

it actually sounds to me like you are happy with the performance you have right now, and if thats the case; great!

as long as your SWR is about 2 or less, then you are safe to operate the radio without fear of blowing the final amp transistor, so you're all good.

BTW, only the portion of your antenna that actually sticks up higher than your roof is actually radiating a signal. the rest is being absorbed by the body of the vehicle.
again, if it works for you then thats all that matters.

as for microphones, in a mobile i like the Astatic 636 or an old cobra "coffin" style microphone.
the new "bulbous" mics that come with their radios nowadays do suck.

good luck,
LC

LC
actually the two meters were way different at first. Once I tuned with the radio shack meter, which got my swr to 1.3-1.5, then the internal meter matched it. Performance wise I can't complain with 5 miles loud and clear on hilly terrain stock radio. Yes it it a firestik running 18 ft of mini 8 cable.

I did have the radio on last night while cleaning out my truck and was listening/talking with a couple base stations. One of which was about ten miles away which I could send and receive decently.
Thanks everyone for the advice

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.