• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

*New guy needing help on watt output

Plot twist, I have several friends pushing 25 plus watts which I hear on my cb. Y'all are something else. I really came here for help or some insight into the situation and it has been the exact opposite. You guys are about the rudest group I have ever been a part of. Very surprised at everyone's "help"

I have to agree, Redfox. Lot of guys here are short on patience and have forgotten what it is to be new to the hobby. On the other hand, there are some very knowledgeable fellas here willing to help.

The only way to accurately measure power is into a dummy load rather than an antenna. That said, my guess is your friend’s SX200 is giving a relatively close reading if the SWR is decent.

Keep this in mind. It takes a fourfold increase in power to result in a one S unit increase on others’ radios. For example, if a radio is putting out 3 watts, it would take 12 watts to go up one S unit. Hence, the 3 watt difference between 25 and 28 is undetectable on the receiving person’s radio.

With all that said, I can still understand your disappointment in your new radio putting out 11 watts when promised 28. But I would seek out another meter to measure it with. The tech who performed the work likely used a Bird meter and they are very reliable. And expensive.

Hope that helps.

Y'all are something else. I really came here for help or some insight into the situation and it has been the exact opposite. You guys are about the rudest group I have ever been a part of. Very surprised at everyone's "help"

Don’t let it get to you! These members are very helpful. It’s like having a big brother. They’ll give ya hell but actually care in helping you. They know what they are talking about. My thread was totally derailed and fell off a cliff at one point. That’s ok. We all got back on track and I got my issue fixed. Stick around!!!

The simple fact is your friend is right and the radio shop is wrong. They scammed you. You could send that radio to 10 members here and none of their meters would show 30 watts.

The radio shop sold you a low end CB radio which isn't even capable of what they are claiming.

You've learned your lesson, don't ever buy from that shop again - post up their name and your experience on a review of them online (if they have a facebook page) and warn others.

I have a used Cobra 25 here that I bought at a garage sale for $5 that is probably a better radio than the one your purchased and had that shop tune - it's a sad fact and difficult to swallow but it's the truth,

The simple fact is your friend is right and the radio shop is wrong. They scammed you. You could send that radio to 10 members here and none of their meters would show 30 watts.

The radio shop sold you a low end CB radio which isn't even capable of what they are claiming.

You've learned your lesson, don't ever buy from that shop again - post up their name and your experience on a review of them online (if they have a facebook page) and warn others.

I have a used Cobra 25 here that I bought at a garage sale for $5 that is probably a better radio than the one your purchased and had that shop tune - it's a sad fact and difficult to swallow but it's the truth,

I respectfully disagree.
There is a myriad of reviews from satisfied customers of Bell’s (if that is indeed who we are talking about) as well as abundant reviews from owners of the Uniden Pro XL 520 who love their radios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Welcome to the forum!

Don't get too discouraged by some of the replies here.

No, a good meter that wasn't manipulated should be 15 watts off on a low wattage scale.

Many CB shops will calibrate their meters to show a Peak to Peak rating which is essentially 2 times the power of Peak envelope power. (PEP). I experienced this before. While it can be misleading to those who don't know, it's just another way CB shops can show how good they can tune a radio.

Peak to Peak, RMS, and PEP are just different ways to measure power but are relevant to each other.

Example: a 120 volt AC outlet showing all 3 forms of measurement but is all essentially same.

The 120V is the RMS voltage. And the peak voltage for this is actually 170V. So the peak of this voltage is actually a whole lot bigger than 120V. And if you look at it from peak-to-peak, then the voltage from an AC outlet is actually 340V peak-to-peak

A radio like yours without trying to over hack it to squeeze every watt out of it should be 18-20 watts on full modulation.

30 watts on the CB shops meter seems more a Peak to Peak reading.

Excessive watts from over peaking will splatter and waste TX power on adjacent channels other than the one you're transmitting on.

Best to keep your TX power clean with no splatter.

A 4:1 deadkey ratio should ensure this meaning 4x your deadkey power.

Also don't remove modulation limiters. This leads to splatter. CB shops tend to do this because the excessive harmonics caused by over modulation will swing a watt meter more which makes customers more happy!

Better to just turn up the modulation control inside the radio and adjust for 4:1 swing at max power which again on a radio like that should be around 20 watts with a 5 watt deadkey.

Good luck!
I really appreciate the help! I understand it a lot more now! Thank you!

Plot twist, I have several friends pushing 25 plus watts which I hear on my cb. Y'all are something else. I really came here for help or some insight into the situation and it has been the exact opposite. You guys are about the rudest group I have ever been a part of. Very surprised at everyone's "help"
Here's the deal, Unless the output was compared with a "Spectrum Analyzer" you have been sold a bucket of Air force prop wash. Just like painting strobe stripes on a car makes ir go faster. You change the swing of a radio and make it sound good and still not be throwing gobs of illegal noise on to the radio bands.

Reactions: Slowmover
Are you for real. You are comparing a orange and a grapefruit. I personally worked on a uniden 880 which is a step above your radio. That radio does about 18 clean watts. If you think your radio should do 25 watts it will be crappy sounding. Cobra 29's will do 25 watts. Sometimes not too clean. Pardon spelling this is on my phone.

Welcome and dont mind the folks who dont pull punches. Its part of this hobby to grow a thick skin.
IMO if you want to be heard put a clean tune on the radio and buy an amp. If you want a high watt mobile radio buy one that does 200 watts out of the box without over tuning. While Bells is respected for selling quality goods and customer service I never believe a shops tune and peak claims. I wouldnt want a radio peaked like that anyhow.

I don't understand how a well known shop can do something like this. Sell a radio that has been "tuned" but it actually isn't?

I am sure they "Tuned" your radio. From the factory box it is was probably keying 3.8 watts and swinging to 6 or 7 watts.
Typically a Factory Service manual alignment will have the technician set the dead key output to 3.8 watts (under the 4 watt FCC maximum) and set the modulation to 95% so as to keep it FCC legal.
Bodacious claims of exorbitant output power and "Swing Watts" have been separating people from their cash for many years. Some power can be gained by tuning but at the expense of a clean sounding radio. There is a limit.
Despite this advice, there are some people that will "buy into this" so as to be the "King of the Channel". The fact is (as was posted earlier) a few extra watts will not and can not be noticed by the receiving station. A bump in the audio output may get your signal understood a little better by the receiving station, but there is a limit before your audio becomes garbled and unintelligible by the receiving station and causes interference to adjacent channels.

David

Reactions: Slowmover and Tokin
You want more watts? Put an amp behind your radio. Don't mangle the radio because that can cause you more problems than you want or can fix by yourself.
Agreed! Buy an amp or spend the $$$ on an N2 or N4, something with a built in amp.
Pushing transistors to and past their limits isnt good.

My “answer” to using a basic CB is one learned by reading around.

A quarter-century back I had a Uniden PC76 converted from single to dual finals. Great performance, but on a big truck much easier than today’s to achieve a good installation (good transmit performance).

Reading around the past few years convinced me to try (spend to experiment) adding an RM ITALY KL-203 to a big truck radio installation.

Stock, untouched radio

Yesterday was a case-in-point. After loading at a shipper I headed north to a truckstop where I stayed last week.

Once on the highway and in a relatively forward straight line of transmission I was demonstrating this for another driver parked that same place.

His truck featured the factory-installation. Untouched since new not yet two years ago. He’d been gifted a new COBRA 29 LTD. Already had it at work the past few weeks.

He & I live in the same city and several years ago became friends at the level of work thru a temp job we’d both taken.

I’ve driven quite a while and have always been an interested student. His grasp exceeds mine. Not just his experience.

A while back I’d said to him on the phone I had a pair of 7’ Firestik antennas (barely used) I’d like to give him. At some point we might meet up somewhere in Texas.

Well, met up in Indiana yesterday. Found that coincidence funny. I was recommending the fried chicken to him early last week if he ever got thru as I’d stayed here last weekend.

I wouldn’t claim I know much, but I’ve worked hard churning my tires in the mud re CB radios in big trucks. Occasionally make progress towards the pavement. As a matter of interest it’s been greater than his.

So I had his full attention. (Why he’s good; few can do that). He’d gone thru some basic checks of gear and noise sources beforehand we’d discussed. Read up on linked info to set SWR.

While I was at the shipper he couldn’t hear me at the truckstop despite that I was getting radio checks from others at his location and farther.

But once on the road as above — with the amp turned on — he could hear me.

Not so with it off. Nor could he hear the radio checks from further south of me (2.5-miles away and closing)

I parked across lot and noted what I could from my position in re his TX.

We went thru swapping antennas and mount studs and then in reverse
as my new high dollar Astatic PDC-1 SWR Meter wasn’t showing better than 1.6:1. (Joke. Cheap truckstop meter).

Equipment
Installation
Test Gear
Motivation

We used what we had. The original configuration was the same reading as the new one. IN THE END. Loosened, tightened, shaken, stirred, on-the-rocks, truck pulled forward, etc. Some checks & tests.

But now he could easily hear me, hear highway radio checks at distance, and he swung my trucks radio meter farther.

Good enough for truck stop work.

Point to all this is that we may not get all we want the first time. Other factors are involved and MAY mask what we think is problem.

The antenna system is where greatest attention needs be paid.

My friend now has a pair of ears that reach 13’6” in height. Height is might.
Before, he was at 9’6”.

We’ve established that while not yet as good as possible, coax & antennas are fine. Safe to transmit. Tried, but couldn’t find problems past what gear and a tiny bit of knowledge asked.

I’ve recommended an AM/SSB Uniden 980 (see threads), and the baby amp (will run on big truck CB circuit with radio).

No Golden Screwdriver necessary.

Gave him also one of my volume-buy SRA-198 Ranger mics. Compared it to the stock Cobra. Given his voice and preferred distance of mouth-to-mic, 3/4-gain Dynamike setting was clearest, best audio with the 198 from across the parking lot. Not much, but enough.

Not much is sorta how I look at radio thus far. Progress, not Perfection.

The 980 + 203 is what I’d recommend to anyone for mobile or base as where to start. AM plus SSB.

BIG Ears and LOUD Voice is how I describe it. No tech labor-charges.

$240 approx; the pair. So far as I’m concerned, THAT is the entry price. CB Radio isn’t a toy for a truck driver. It’s a tool. And few today know what’s good performance as modern truck design has made it difficult.

FWIW, I have spent $$ where money and value didn’t meet up. Some experiments (hairs up my ass) don’t work out. That’s success.

Needn’t go that route again. Like a dead-end road with no way to turn around a big truck.

So, put ‘er in Reverse and back an articulated, loaded rig 3-miles on a broken-asphalt, high-cambered road with blind curves. In the rain. After dark.

Think I should quit the job? Some would. That’s a level of frustration and risk far past the ordinary (truck could have rolled despite 3-mph backing speed). Hauling it out with a wrecker would be $900-$1200 and a missed delivery.

I triple-check those short-cuts nowadays. And want the best radio comms I can get.

So:

Get some chrome film and wrap it.
Place on shelf prominently.
Hit with spotlight.
Meditate, Cogitate, Beer-O-Rate

Gonna quit?

The radio is just one piece of many.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.