• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New MACO BA1 Balcony Antenna

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I could have posted this in CB antennas or the Ham section so instead I posted this here. Maco has come out with a new antenna its called the BA1 or Balcony Antenna. The BA1 is a portable style antenna that is made for those who cant have a permanent antenna installation done. This antenna was built with these renters that cant have these permanent affixed antennas in mind.

I seen this and just HAD to get one for myself to play with ;) The antenna showed up via UPS yesterday. I was bored so I imediately dove into opening the box. It was a great surprise to open the box and not see 20 different parts and 6 bags of hardware!! There were 2 small bags one with hardware and the other with the 6 U-bolts and ofcourse there was the totally simplified assembly instructions with parts check list.

I got right to work laying out thhe 4 pieces of aluminum tubing 3 elements and 1 boom or mounting tube, 1 aluminum predrilled square stock plate and the pre assembled Gamma kit. I open the harware/parts bags and off to work I went. It didnt take long and was actually kind of interesting and cool to assemble.

I took my time because there was no rush and as I said not many parts to have to sort through so it was almost as if you knew or could easily figure out which hardware was married to what part. I assembled it and then went to the tuning of the Gamma match which was an absolute breeze to do. The antenna is a 10 - 11 meter antenna and there is 2 sets of adjustments 1 for 10 meters and one for 11 meters. I chose the 11 meter adjustments or setup because I knew there were local 11 meter SSB users that were always monitoring.

The antenna comes with Hardware to mount to a wrought iron railing balcony or to a wood railing balcony. Now heres the awsome thing about this particular antenna YOU CAN RUN IT VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL!! This is done with a simple adjustment and can be done in just a few short minutes!! It involves loosening 4 nuts on 2 U-Bolts rotating the antenna and re-tightening thats it!! For my tuning and assembly I used a setup we use for our beams when assembling them its a simple platform or round base plate with a mast pipe welded to it with extensions we can add to get the antennas up higher as we construct or build them. What I did was assemble my BA1 Balcony antenna in the horizontal position so there wasnt a great need for height on my antenna at this point.

It only took a few minutes to tune or adjust the Gamma Match which I was by myself or alone so it took a few extra minutes. I took and plugged the antenna into my Yaesu 857D when tuning it so when I was done I began flipping through the band listening to a surprisingly ggreat recieve. I was surprised because this antenna is just a few feet off the ground maybe 4 foot or so. I keyed up on 11 meters and found a local that heard me he said he had an S8 signal on me and he lives about 1/2 hour from me so being that I was horizonal and he was vertical that was surprising let alone the fact was as I said I was only 4 foot off the ground!!

I spun through 10 and 11 meters checking the SWR and they were super!! I didnt even need the tuner. Im going to get this up higher on one of my towers and cant wait to see how it does on horizontal and Vertical aswell. I had talked a little skip with it 4 feet off the ground I hit 2 stations in California and 2 other places so I know this antenna is gonna be a fun thing to test and play with. I got the idea for trying one because Im out of town a few times a year and usually take a G5RV along and that works great on 75 20 and 40 meters but as far as 10 - 11 meters its ok I guess so I wanted something easy to pack up and take along and to be able to run vertical or horizontal with a 2 minute adjustment I can honestly say IVE FOUND IT IVE FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

What I did was took red electrical tape and wrapped or marked each element at its assembly spot so I can take it apart and pack it for travel or transport and its basically just an easy re-assemble since everything is marked ;) I cant say enough good things about this simplified antenna I am impressed with it and would recommend this to anyone who cant have that affixed permanent antenna installation or anyone just looking for a backup or spare to have around and those who want a good working portable. Yes I could you my Antrons or Imax 2000 but those dont offer the simple and quick Vertical Horizontal option.

Take a look at them they are fair priced built well and easy to assemble and install its pretty much a rotating dipole but boy does it work well. I will post as I do a few more tests as I complete them as I mentioned I just assembled it and havent got it higher up in the air yet.

http://www.macoantennas.net/NewProducts.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover and Robb

I could have posted this in CB antennas or the Ham section so instead I posted this here. Maco has come out with a new antenna its called the BA1 or Balcony Antenna. The BA1 is a portable style antenna that is made for those who cant have a permanent antenna installation done. This antenna was built with these renters that cant have these permanent affixed antennas in mind.

I seen this and just HAD to get one for myself to play with ;) The antenna showed up via UPS yesterday. I was bored so I imediately dove into opening the box. It was a great surprise to open the box and not see 20 different parts and 6 bags of hardware!! There were 2 small bags one with hardware and the other with the 6 U-bolts and ofcourse there was the totally simplified assembly instructions with parts check list.

I got right to work laying out thhe 4 pieces of aluminum tubing 3 elements and 1 boom or mounting tube, 1 aluminum predrilled square stock plate and the pre assembled Gamma kit. I open the harware/parts bags and off to work I went. It didnt take long and was actually kind of interesting and cool to assemble.

I took my time because there was no rush and as I said not many parts to have to sort through so it was almost as if you knew or could easily figure out which hardware was married to what part. I assembled it and then went to the tuning of the Gamma match which was an absolute breeze to do. The antenna is a 10 - 11 meter antenna and there is 2 sets of adjustments 1 for 10 meters and one for 11 meters. I chose the 11 meter adjustments or setup because I knew there were local 11 meter SSB users that were always monitoring.

The antenna comes with Hardware to mount to a wrought iron railing balcony or to a wood railing balcony. Now heres the awsome thing about this particular antenna YOU CAN RUN IT VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL!! This is done with a simple adjustment and can be done in just a few short minutes!! It involves loosening 4 nuts on 2 U-Bolts rotating the antenna and re-tightening thats it!! For my tuning and assembly I used a setup we use for our beams when assembling them its a simple platform or round base plate with a mast pipe welded to it with extensions we can add to get the antennas up higher as we construct or build them. What I did was assemble my BA1 Balcony antenna in the horizontal position so there wasnt a great need for height on my antenna at this point.

It only took a few minutes to tune or adjust the Gamma Match which I was by myself or alone so it took a few extra minutes. I took and plugged the antenna into my Yaesu 857D when tuning it so when I was done I began flipping through the band listening to a surprisingly ggreat recieve. I was surprised because this antenna is just a few feet off the ground maybe 4 foot or so. I keyed up on 11 meters and found a local that heard me he said he had an S8 signal on me and he lives about 1/2 hour from me so being that I was horizonal and he was vertical that was surprising let alone the fact was as I said I was only 4 foot off the ground!!

I spun through 10 and 11 meters checking the SWR and they were super!! I didnt even need the tuner. Im going to get this up higher on one of my towers and cant wait to see how it does on horizontal and Vertical aswell. I had talked a little skip with it 4 feet off the ground I hit 2 stations in California and 2 other places so I know this antenna is gonna be a fun thing to test and play with. I got the idea for trying one because Im out of town a few times a year and usually take a G5RV along and that works great on 75 20 and 40 meters but as far as 10 - 11 meters its ok I guess so I wanted something easy to pack up and take along and to be able to run vertical or horizontal with a 2 minute adjustment I can honestly say IVE FOUND IT IVE FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

What I did was took red electrical tape and wrapped or marked each element at its assembly spot so I can take it apart and pack it for travel or transport and its basically just an easy re-assemble since everything is marked ;) I cant say enough good things about this simplified antenna I am impressed with it and would recommend this to anyone who cant have that affixed permanent antenna installation or anyone just looking for a backup or spare to have around and those who want a good working portable. Yes I could you my Antrons or Imax 2000 but those dont offer the simple and quick Vertical Horizontal option.

Take a look at them they are fair priced built well and easy to assemble and install its pretty much a rotating dipole but boy does it work well. I will post as I do a few more tests as I complete them as I mentioned I just assembled it and havent got it higher up in the air yet.

New Products from Maco Antennas

Cool! It's what I am looking for in something to throw up and use.

I will be doing more testing on this and getting back to Tom Charles on it. If any of you get one and run it and think of anything you guys would like to see changed or added please post them here. This is a new antenna and can still be altered changed or improved and it would be absolutely perfect and ok to throw these ideas out there and I can pass these along when I sit down with Tom on the results.

It doesnt matter if your an 11 meter or 10 meter operator if you have any ideas at all and what their benefits would be it would certainly be considered. I already have a few things Ive thought about and will finish my playing and testing first. This antenna with a small MACO model 91 24 - 30 MHz 300 watt antenna matcher would be a great tool to have with this antenna for of a wider coverage ;)

If any of you orderone of these antennas if you dont already have antenna tuner Ide think about the little Maco model 91 they are a great thing to have and at a reasonable price. I have 2 of these along with 6 other multiband larger tuners which are big and bulky base station models and would be an overkill unless your running legal limit 1,500 watts.

I can honstly say Ive ran quiten a bit more than 300 watts through these little Macos (on SSB) I know others that have run more aswell. I have a few more smaller antenna matchers that will handle 100 watts but do not cover 10 11 and 12 meters as these little Macos will and do because Ive ran them or done it.

The antennas are outstanding as they are but sometimes we have some good ideas to share in improving them and thats exactly what we need to do if anyone has any good ideas. The consumers or operators of these products antennas ETC are the true tester and who makes these or breaks these so its important that we share these ideas.

Anyone else that gets one share your thoughts and I can assure you that you wont be sorry for the price they are really cool to play with being so versatile. I give the antenna so far a rating of (y) Have fun and enjoy playing!!

I was recommended by MFJ on antenna tuners. I have a cheapie antenna matcher from the Eighties but it's nowhere as good like the Maco you use.
best selling manual tuner is the mfj-949e, $179.95. 12 position switched inductor, antenna switch, built-in dummy load, 3 inch cross needle swr wattmeter, handles 300 watts pep ssb, 1.8 to 30 mhz.

without the dummy load, the mfj-948 is $159.95.

a smaller 200 watt version is the 941E, $139.95.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 714
Funny!! I have one of those old radio shack archer antenna matchers!! LMAO!! Its really lightweight and Im guessing it wont handle mu8ch otherthan a stock CB

I also have the mfj-993B auto tuner in my Tuner collection its a great auto tuner with a ton of memory it has a cross needle display aswell as a digital display with frequency readout power and several other visual options.

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

But like I said this little Maco tri band has proven itself to me and has taken 500 watts Sideband without a single problem. Im not an AM user so Im not surev I would run more than the rated 300 watts through it because of the contstant carrier AM has.

New Maco 91 CB Ham Radio High SWR Matcher Antenna Tuner | eBay

:eek:HH GAWD I have one of those matchers stay away from it their cheap because there JUNK!! Im not trying to sound like an @$$ but merely trying to keep you from making a mistake!! I seen these years ago and was always gonna buy one and ended up getting one years later in a box of radio ods and ends stuff I bought with a radio and IM GLAD I NEVER SPENT EVEN THE FEW DOLLARS FOR A NEW ONE YEARS AGO!!. I now use it as a comparison to show people when I tell them about the Maco model and show them the differences. Save up and add the extra $15.00 and get the Maco you will be alot happier and glad you did get the Maco model over that cheaper tinker toy PDC model. That my friend I guarantee you ;)

If you buy one Ill call you or you can call me and Ill walk you through how it works its really simple and you will never forget how to doit once you do do it. All you do is put this after your swr meter and key the radio on AM or FM and adjust the knobs while watching the SWR meter and it lets you bring the SWR down to flat or damn close to it or to a safe operational level. I would have to look when I get back home tomorrow afternoon but I have the instructions that come with the matcher. I never had to use them because I already knew how tuners or matchers work but I believe their is instructions.

If you buy one Ill call you or you can call me and Ill walk you through how it works its really simple and you will never forget how to doit once you do do it. All you do is put this after your swr meter and key the radio on AM or FM and adjust the knobs while watching the SWR meter and it lets you bring the SWR down to flat or damn close to it or to a safe operational level. I would have to look when I get back home tomorrow afternoon but I have the instructions that come with the matcher. I never had to use them because I already knew how tuners or matchers work but I believe their is instructions.

I only use the archer for tuning my weird inverted dipole to my TRC-428(30 years old)It's not a loss if something goofs up. I just know that once I got a low SWR dialed in I then adjusted it to bring the radio's am deadkey up to 4 watts. The 428 will only do a 2 1/2 watts into my Falcon dummy load. I do want more features like the MFJ-948 or 949E. My cheapie SWR/power meter's meter has no zero adjustment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.