• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New numbers on FCC ARS licenses

todt061458 said:
... cmon qrz readers join this site also and join in the fun. :watusay
What makes you think we aren't already here ? ;)
Two different forums, two different outlooks of some common interests. :D
Works for me. :p 73

Just courious where do you come up with the possibility of a war between us and them?(WWRF/QRZ)
I think and I could be wrong that both groups are mature adults willing to engage in the lively art of talk and suppisitions and what could and should be.
Please do not always live in a world of fear. We here have our opinions and they theirs and both groups share the love of radio and making it a better place to be. so with all that said and my invite for some of their members to join us and give their opinions here I really forsee no problems other than those that always find something to bitch about and you can do nothing about them except give them more bran and hope it flushes out all the bitterness in them. Chill dude all is well in internet radio land :D al\t leist I hope all is well.

I see on QRZ that some have tried to turn this thread into a CB vs Ham thing and totally ignore the subject. The ones mentioned don't think that it matters what CBers think about the issue. They don't realize that many of these comments here a made by fellow Hams. It would be something productive if they would ignore their bitterness and prejudice and think about the issue we are talking about. One went a tirade about "exports" which has nothing to do with the decline of ARS numbers being talked about. Somewhere, sometime Hams again need to look at the issue and ask why and try to solve it rather than standing on their CB/Ham soapbox and further cause division. It is this very attitude that keeps people from being interested in the Hobby. The idea is to present something I have in such a way that sparks interest in a hobby I enjoy. Make Ham radio sound exciting.
I think Hams need to heed the words of Riley when he spoke in Dayton this year-

In Hollingsworth's view, radio amateurs all too often are hypersensitive and rude. "We have a radar going to detect offenses at all times, we assume the worst in people, we rarely give people the benefit of the doubt," he said. He joked that if there were three amateurs in a town, there would be two Amateur Radio clubs.
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/05/24/3/?nc=1

And now a quote from out own CW MORSE
Only at the ones who violate the law. Sure, it makes me mad to hear outlaw operators because they have no business doing that, but you oughta hear them chirp righteously about *their* rights (radio is not a 'right') and try to justify their actions with "Well do *you* ever speed" as if to paint everybody else with the same brush as them in ANY way they can.

I RARELY even listen to CB itself. But I do have a little one in the car to watch out for wrecks and which lane to get in. Otherwise, I don't even think about that band. Now, when I am on-air on my own bands and privileges and I hear some unlicensed jackleg yapping his trap, SURE! It ticks me off! And I'd like to see him nailed to the wall and his equipment piled up before his eyes and set afire!~
Is that angry enough?

To be totaly honest he did show three smiley's at the end of the post.

(BTW, see emoticons: I was laughing when I was posting this!!!)
CW Set afire? Quite dramatic and brutal too. So much for peace in our time with hams like that.
Yes another one from our own CW.
"In reality, a lot of the put-downs among CBers results from insecurity and from the hams themselves. Many times the hams that visit the CB boards make those fellows nervous because they criticize many of the "sacred cows" of CB radio--a lot of which happens to be illegal to start with. And the CBers can't separate the legal from the illegal. ( we are too dumb) So if a ham says anything against their 'export' radios, the splattering amps, and the "extree channels" it's ....."QUICK CIRCLE THE WAGONS!!!!!! THE INJUNS ARE COMIN'!!! THEM HAMMIES ARE THROWING OFF ON MY 'SPAY-SHUL RAH'TS'. THEY'RE A-MOCKIN' US CBERS!!!!!!!!!! ( no CW the only hammie that mocks cbers is you) It's only the illegal aspects the hams might be talking about, but, to them, it's ALL CB operators when it is actually ONLY the illegal activity that caused the ham to comment to start with! They don't stop to separate the two issues and it becomes a clouded issue with them. Thus, hams are "all" over 50, ride Hoverounds, don't take baths, and are guilty of more infractions than all the CBers combined! We know THAT is a lie, but is a frequent argument if such things as a person getting caught "freebanding" is posted. HA! If ALL the Amateur infractions and ALL the commercial radio infractions, both intentional and technical were tallied, it would pale in comparison to that of CB IF those violations were recorded and posted.

But that is at the heart of it. There will, perhaps, always be rivalry between the unregulated and passionate CB ops and hams. A number of us are guilty of pointing out CB's faults, and it is because it makes us FURIOUS to hear them echoing and splattering all over the place. We don't like having them on 10 Meters (truckers, mostly), and we get yelled at for saying so--even in here. I bet, if we admitted it, we'd laugh our you-know-whats off if FCC "sunsetted" CB by giving the manufacturers a few years to change over to some other type of band.
But then, if they did (and one reason they don't), we would just find them pirating anywhere they could including ALL our bands without rigorous enforcement; better to keep them "down on the farm" than to open up the pasture gate!

I don't know the answer. Yep you sure don't
But I digress it was put best by one of his own over at QRZ
you really sound like a very angry man.
you really got it right VE2NSM you really hit the nail squarly on the head. could not have said it better my self.
So from what I gather here we CBers are too stupid to know right from wrong and legal from illegal? Did I read it wrong seeing as I am a cber first and a second rate extra class ham second I must have had my brain taken over by the darklord of CB radio. LMAO. So I wonder what they really think of us?And don't be fooled it's not all hams just a very vocal MINORITY.
Peace.

From the QRZ thread-

In reality, a lot of the put-downs among CBers results from insecurity
another- The CITIZENS BAND operators have to " put down " AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS" to attempt in a foolish/ prmial nature to make theirselves look good.

From Riley-

But, he noted, radio amateurs still could be more courteous and less inclined to fly off the handle at some perceived on-the-air offense.

"You need to lighten up and not embarrass the Amateur Radio Service," Hollingsworth advised.

radio amateurs all too often are [b]hypersensitive and rude
"We have a radar going to detect offenses at all times, we assume the worst in people, we rarely give people the benefit of the doubt,"

"If there's a downfall in Amateur Radio, it won't be caused by no-code Technicians or codeless anything else," he said. "It'll be caused by the microphone--no doubt in my mind."

Is Riley insecure ? A CB op ? He must be in some Hams eyes since he is critical of some of their behavior. But the last statement shows his insight in that he sees this behavior as something that will hurt or cause decline in Amateur radio.

I think it is summed up by one Ham's comment-
? Do any ops really care what Cb'ers think of us? Should we care because they may see something that we don't?

Again, I have not found this attitude while talking to fellow Hams on the air but these internet Amateurs in their forums reveal a sad picture of Ham radio that keeps many away from their hobby by their venom and behavior toward others.

True like I said in other posts The biggest threat to ham radio comes from the hams themselves. another cwm food for thought moment.

*I*, too, will be dead tomorrow, the next day, next year, next decade--who knows. I know that some of the things I post are not popular and some of the negative comments are directed at me. But I am not ashamed of what I believe, in or outside of the radio hobby, for these tenets are unshakable. Radio is only a small part of what makes up CW Morse. I am fallible, I make mistakes; I might even throw an unintentional carrier if I have a stuck relay. But I will be gone. I may live 20-30 years, but I now dread the attitudes of our society and the results my children will have to face then. I lived in the BEST America had to offer and I thank GOD for that. I was, perhaps, one of those old out-of-touch(?) hams, not relevant to a "hip" society. But I will not bow to pressure WRT radio in that I believe that "extree channels" are WRONG: you neither earned them, bought them, or followed any law that says you may do that. I do NOT like bandits who show up where they don't belong. I do not LIKE your linear amplifiers when I hear that muffled chuffing, chucking sound on my frequency that means that some yokel is operating down on the "freeband" and messing me up. And, yes, I do not like it that people ignore the law and work that skip simply because it is "there" when there is no moral obligation or RIGHT to do so: they may EARN that privilege by demonstrating their willingness to follow law by getting the Amateur license. IF folks don't like that, so BE it!

So while fallible as the most fallible, I can only hope in my intractible state that it will be said of me that, "He rendered unto Ceasar (law) that which was his, and unto God that which is God's". I did my best. I am sorry if no one likes that.

Best 73

CWM
So now I have a question What if ceasar's law is a bad and unjust law? I know just shut up and obey. But did not rome fall? Yes I think it did. :p
I also like a good discussion but when the person I am talking too says he is "intractible" by his own words than I know I no longer can engage him in a conversation so I must quit? still try ? or ignore him ? :beer Good idea lets go have a beer after we go down to the shooting range and have some fun this radio thing is too serious for me right now . I'll buy the range time and the first round. 8) but no beer until we are done at the range. :D

cyclops1970 said:
That being said, I DO think the internet sites (eHam, QRZ, Hamsexy, etc.) do not put ham radio's best foot forward at times. It seems like on the air, we are polite and courteous, but once we start on the internet sites, Katie bar the door!! It's really embarassing to see the cheap, personal attacks that some people post.

Well, if I can say one good thing about QRZ, if it weren't for a thread there that referenced this site, I might not be here! From what I've seen so far by reading various posts here, I seem to have stumbled onto a nice open-minded and friendly group here.
:Wavey

Nice change from the "bar room brawls" that seem to go on over on QRZ. :roll:

todt061458 said:
I ask you what does advancing to a higher lic class have to do with anything? Code or no code. The old hams will still harass you as " you did not earn you right to talk on their HF bands.
'
fact remains that no new ham are coming into the hobbie and staying. The new hams feel so isolated and made to feel not welcome by the old hams who "earned" the ticket and had to build their first radios and other such nonsense that once they try to go someplace other than the 2 meter and 440 machines that they quit the hobbie for other persuits.
And while on the rptr subject some machines are so busy that you can't even get on some and than try to hold a "normal" conversation that it is almost impossable not to be harassed by the techno speaking hams. Forget it most go buy a NEXTEL.
I Elmered three new hams in the past year not one was made to feel welcome by the ham community that they sold their gear and bought a new Kenwood TK-880 and now talk on the GMRS rptrs around here they were made to feel welcome and now tell me they should have bought new GMRS radios in the first place. Ham radio WAKE up we hams are killing our own hobbie. :x

I guess I have been lucky so far in that almost everyone I have talked with on the air has been pretty friendly. I have heard way too many stories though that back up what you say. Some of the posts I've read on other Ham forums made me wonder what I was getting myself into when I got my Tech license. At one point I was ready to drop out but instead I joined a local club and got involved in the hobby. So far, so good.

W4GSK said:
cyclops1970 said:
That being said, I DO think the internet sites (eHam, QRZ, Hamsexy, etc.) do not put ham radio's best foot forward at times. It seems like on the air, we are polite and courteous, but once we start on the internet sites, Katie bar the door!! It's really embarassing to see the cheap, personal attacks that some people post.

Well, if I can say one good thing about QRZ, if it weren't for a thread there that referenced this site, I might not be here! From what I've seen so far by reading various posts here, I seem to have stumbled onto a nice open-minded and friendly group here.
:Wavey

Nice change from the "bar room brawls" that seem to go on over on QRZ. :roll:

I don't inhabit the 'zed anymore. I do check out the forums on EHam, but not the featured articles--they tend to devolve into arguments too easy. And I do like Hamsexy cause it's just a completely irreverent view of everything that's supposedly sacred in Ham Radio...even though sometimes I don't agree.

cyclops1970 said:
I don't inhabit the 'zed anymore. I do check out the forums on EHam, but not the featured articles--they tend to devolve into arguments too easy. And I do like Hamsexy cause it's just a completely irreverent view of everything that's supposedly sacred in Ham Radio...even though sometimes I don't agree.

Yeah, QRZ scared me off. I went as far as registering on QRZ and then read some of the posts. The "FCC mum on Morse code" was a real jewel. It was almost amusing at first but then turned really ugly. I tucked tail and ran without ever posting once there!
:LOL:

I think eHam is a good source of info such as reviews on things but you're right about some of the articles turning into arguments. I wonder about people who are new to Ham getting on some of these forums and thinking that is how Hams really are - and dropping out. It's a shame really.

I think EHAM has potential but everything seems,,,,,,,,I guess all over the place.

The web page needs a bit more structure and easier to navigate.

Happy_Hamer said:
I think EHAM has potential but everything seems,,,,,,,,I guess all over the place.

The web page needs a bit more structure and easier to navigate.
The eham forum software there is the pits. :( I just use eham for articles and reviews.
Again different perspectives on a common interest... Radio.
Nice to look at the other side of the coin from time to time. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated