• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New numbers on FCC ARS licenses

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Total active individual licenses as of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech/+ - 334,254
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750

Total all classes - 674,792

Total active individual licenses as of June 30, 2006:

Novice - 24,877 (-49.57%) (-24,456)
Tech/+ - 320,242 (-4.20%) (-14,012)
General - 132,758 (+17.82%) (+20,081)
Advanced - 71,753 (-28.13%) (-28,029)
Extra - 108,184 (+37.38%) (+29,434)

Total All Classes: 657,814 (-1,405 since the March 2006 reporting period)

Total all classes (5/14/00) - 674,792
Total all Classes (4/21/03) - 687,860
Total all classes (9/6/04 ) - 674,788
Total all classes (6/30/06) - 657,814

Total loss of 16,978 since 5/14/2000 (Was 674,792)
Total loss of 16,974 since 9/6/2004 (Was 674,788)
Total Loss of 30,066 since 4/2003 (all time high of 687,860)

We lost:
842 Novice
1,088 General
1,157 Advanced
3,087 Total

We Gained:
1,258 Tech/+
424 Extra
1,682 Total

This is an overall 1,405 decline since the March reporting period
and averages 467 per month for the quarter.

For the months March April and May the new licenses issued
break down as follows.

6,999 Tech/+ 89.3% **
627 General 8.0%
217 Extra 2.7%

Total new licenses issues during the period - 7,849

** These numbers come from the very interesting and comprehensive website of Joe Speroni, AH0A http://www.ah0a.org

Numbers of US population and the number of hams at the start of each decade from 1930.

Year Population # Hams Growth Rate
1930 123,202,624 19,000
1940 132,164,569 56,000 194%
1950 151,325,798 87,000 55%
1960 179,323,175 230,000 164%
1970 203,211,926 263,918 15%
1980 226,545,805 393,353 49%
1990 248,709,873 502,677 28%
2000 281,421,906 682,240 36%
2006 657,814 -3.6 %

The 2006 number was as of June 30, 2006

Oops ! Forgot to give credit- http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=126103

I found this number interesting-

Total All Classes: 657,814 (-1,405 since the March 2006 reporting period)

I feel the loss is directly related to the lack of positive vibes from the older long term hams as well as from the cell phone and internet.

Propagation of the hobby, if you will, is directly related to a more positive attitude toward and education of the non-hams.

Those are intresting numbers. I,m sure the CB hobby has suffered even greater.

i have never come across an asshole on the air. there is a small number of those that resent the fact that now a days all you need is 5wpm code and they are angry about that. i think most of it is those that simply lost interest in a very expensive hobby. there are also some like the novice class that is a retired class. the fcc changed the licence term for hams in the last few years where these numbers showed those that had to reapply every 4 years where now its 10 years so those less active in the hobby do not feel the need to decide if they are going to get there moneys worth or not, perhaps they dont like the fact that fee's have risen sence there last renewel.

if the fcc ever drops the code requirment watch the numbers for general and extra class soar. i know a few people that wont even get there tech licence because it doesnt allow the use of hf without learning code. they have all said they would get there licence if they could advance without taking code. i had seen some numbers from england where code was droped, its unbelievable the boom it created across the board.

I ask you what does advancing to a higher lic class have to do with anything? Code or no code. The old hams will still harass you as " you did not earn you right to talk on their HF bands.
'
fact remains that no new ham are coming into the hobbie and staying. The new hams feel so isolated and made to feel not welcome by the old hams who "earned" the ticket and had to build their first radios and other such nonsense that once they try to go someplace other than the 2 meter and 440 machines that they quit the hobbie for other persuits.
And while on the rptr subject some machines are so busy that you can't even get on some and than try to hold a "normal" conversation that it is almost impossable not to be harassed by the techno speaking hams. Forget it most go buy a NEXTEL.
I Elmered three new hams in the past year not one was made to feel welcome by the ham community that they sold their gear and bought a new Kenwood TK-880 and now talk on the GMRS rptrs around here they were made to feel welcome and now tell me they should have bought new GMRS radios in the first place. Ham radio WAKE up we hams are killing our own hobbie. :x

I still remember when I was talking to a Ham on 6 meters with the echo turned on my power mic LOL ! He handled it real good. Just let me know. I felt stupid. :oops: So from then on I make sure the slider isn't bumped on anymore. :p

Yes all noise toys are frowned apon. As they should be .
Just another thing to think about when looking at the above numbers how many silent keys(deceased hams) are includes in the active ham roster? I just looked up 2 old friends that died last year their lic was still listed as active even tho they were dead.
The reason that I think that is is because a lic won't expire but every 10 years even tho the holder is gone to the big key in the beyond. 8)

The slow death of this hobby is directly related to a misappropriation of Ham time and energy. There are thousands of hams who have died knowing that their hobby is likewise dying. There are thousands more to go. These hams spent thier dying days fighting frivolous causes relating to code/no code, freebanders and export radio users. Thier was always an enemy out there to fight, and fight they did! The enemy, however was within. Potential hams, did not overlook this cancer of hate and bitterness that permeates those hams that feel the world is out to get them.

Instead, these young people in search of a hobby shrugged their shoulders, and were drawn towards another group of people that were not constantly creating and than fighting an enemy. They joined another hobby made of fun people that were secure, who did not feel constantly threatened by evil, who used their energy and time to laugh among each other, and enjoy their hobby.

If you pick a hobby, pick one based on the people who are into it. It is the people that make a hobby desirable or undesirable.

Yep I must agree. I kinda said that in another post awhile back but in a more long winded way.
Or to put it more simply The hams are their own worst enemy and don't really care that they are. :(

Many hams will die thinking they did the right thing by fighting that windmill of evil. But they did not minister to recruit more hams. As such, they failed in their number one task- to convince others to partake in the sport. They failed to realize that evil exists in all sports. If you are into guns, there is always a Senator that threatens it. If you are into camping, there is always a corporation who is out to take your land.

But the best way to defeat evil within your sport is to spend your time doing your sport. Spend time talking on 10 meters and there will be no room for the freebanders. Out power the cb amp guys with 10 meter amps. Crowd out the export radios with too many hams on 10 meters. Roll up your sleeves!

The key indication that the ham sport is losing, is their express, and desparate reliance on the FCC to solve their problems, as if they are not strong enough, or somehow lack the courage, to solve their own problems. Are they not strong enough to support themselves? Has the government ever solved anyones problems? They don't need anyone but themselves to solve their problems. They don't realize that they are holding the solution, and the solution is them.

My call to all hams is demonstrate to the world that you don't need the FCC to fight your battles, as your love for the sport will be enough. When it comes down to it, all you will ever have is yourself. The sooner you rely on yourself, the sooner your problems will be solved.

I have to disagree here on a couple of points.

In my 11 years as being a ham, I have run into exactly one person who didn't treat me with respect. It was on 80 meters, and I was in the Extra segment when he came up on frequency and told me that I didn't belong there and that I had "better move up the band where I belong". I laughed at him and told him to get an updated database--my Extra had been hanging on the wall for two months! So I don't buy the argument that on the bands there are "Evil" operators.

That being said, I DO think the internet sites (eHam, QRZ, Hamsexy, etc.) do not put ham radio's best foot forward at times. It seems like on the air, we are polite and courteous, but once we start on the internet sites, Katie bar the door!! It's really embarassing to see the cheap, personal attacks that some people post.

Another thing: let's not hold the ARRL completely blameless here. They have done one job extremely well over the last decade or so: they have pissed everybody off equally well. As a result, they lose membership. To counter their loss in membership they have to recruit new hams. Which means they have to change the rules to make it easier to get a license. Which pisses off even more existing hams. And the cycle has continued pretty much unabated for the last 12 years or so.

But when it's all said and done, the death of ham radio isn't about hams or their attitudes. It's about technology. HF radio (the bread and butter of ham radio for over 100 years) as a means of communication has been rendered pretty much obsolete. I'm typing this on the internet, aren't I?? Why aren't I speaking into a mic or sending it out via Morse Code?

I'm famous :D Darn and they did not even give this site credit. Just a link. So I say what do you all think ? cmon qrz readers join this site also and join in the fun. :watusay

Fun? Ham radio is about education, technology, disaster assistance, and astronauts. Fun? I don't think so. And besides, you are a CB low life. Riley will get you yet! You just wait!

Well for one I am a low life extra class ham since the mid 1960's,I have seen this so called hobbie turn regular folk into self centered self serving little eichman's that would turn in their own loving sweet mama's if they would so much as clean up their radio shack's. un authorised person touching their licensed equipment :twisted:
Yes fun it once was than the Radio Police came and wrecked it not with their enforcement of the rules no sir with their attitudes of this is my freq I earned it get out go somewhere else.
Fun yes it once was but that was then this is now it's fun no more :shock: Sad very sad
Have a great day and remember it's only a radio. :D

Hello everyone,

The WorldWide Radio Forum and QRZ are 2 different worlds, be cautious how you post as we are not looking for a war between forums. That forum has quite a bit of information to offer as we do. Remember the intent is to enjoy the hobby.

Have fun :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.