• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New/Old Guy

Off Pavement

Jan 23, 2011
Back in about 1966, I got my novice ticket. Crystal controlled, CW, 75 watts, a 40M dipole, a home brew 15M rotatable dipole, a Hammarlund HQ 129X, and a Johnson Viking RangerII. I had a lot of fun with CW, a wall full of QSL cards, and though my Johnson rig ran 65watts AM, nobody wanted to talk. SSB was the big thing happening and I didn't have it, and couldn't afford it on my summer lawn mowing wages during high school. While attending college, I was the only operator in the college station and got to use the SSB stuff there, but I was soon on my own and being a ham was not in the formula.

My general class license expired without a whimper in 1972.:oops:

Jump to present day...

I've retired and live on top of a hill in the middle of no-where Nebraska. I'm surrounded by farm country, it seems that I have a pretty good QTH for a station here, and I've been considering getting back into amateur radio.

Now that I can afford the equipment, I wonder...

My concern is that my speaking ability is quite diminished. While I can make myself intelligible to people face to face, my ability to form words is quite poor to my way of thinking from cancer surgery I had 20 years ago. I guess I wonder if people will want to have a voice QSO with me? I've never operated above 50 MHh, and repeater operations hasn't caught my attention.

No matter what, I think I'll get back in for the CW fun I know I can have, but the lure of voice is strong. I've re-studied for the tech ticket, and think since I have to drive a couple hundred miles each way for the test that I'll go ahead and study and take both tests at the same time.

So... would you have a voice QSO with a guy that sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of ... um... to put it nicely - marbles?

I would try.

My problem is that my hearing sucks.

So it would be miserable for both of us i'm sure.

That is what the radio hobby is about though.

Communication.

We have to challenge ourselves to make the best out of our abilities.

Study and get the license and communicate with the world on the air

Back in about 1966, I got my novice ticket. Crystal controlled, CW, 75 watts, a 40M dipole, a home brew 15M rotatable dipole, a Hammarlund HQ 129X, and a Johnson Viking RangerII. I had a lot of fun with CW, a wall full of QSL cards, and though my Johnson rig ran 65watts AM, nobody wanted to talk. SSB was the big thing happening and I didn't have it, and couldn't afford it on my summer lawn mowing wages during high school. While attending college, I was the only operator in the college station and got to use the SSB stuff there, but I was soon on my own and being a ham was not in the formula.

My general class license expired without a whimper in 1972.:oops:

Jump to present day...

I've retired and live on top of a hill in the middle of no-where Nebraska. I'm surrounded by farm country, it seems that I have a pretty good QTH for a station here, and I've been considering getting back into amateur radio.

Now that I can afford the equipment, I wonder...

My concern is that my speaking ability is quite diminished. While I can make myself intelligible to people face to face, my ability to form words is quite poor to my way of thinking from cancer surgery I had 20 years ago. I guess I wonder if people will want to have a voice QSO with me? I've never operated above 50 MHh, and repeater operations hasn't caught my attention.

No matter what, I think I'll get back in for the CW fun I know I can have, but the lure of voice is strong. I've re-studied for the tech ticket, and think since I have to drive a couple hundred miles each way for the test that I'll go ahead and study and take both tests at the same time.

So... would you have a voice QSO with a guy that sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of ... um... to put it nicely - marbles?

Another consideration is to use digital modes like PSK31 or RTTY. You can use a keyboard well :love:. Just hook up a computer to whetever travceiver you get, download a free software program, tune to one of the digital frequencies and your off to the races. I just started using PSK31 this month and am having loads of fun with it. Add in the challenge of using QRP (low power) it is great when you make contacts on the other side of the country. So far the longest distance for me is about 3700km with 20 watts on 20m (14.070MHz). Just another avenue to try with ham radio.

My problem is that my hearing sucks.

I'll vouch for that. We keep telling him what to do and how to do it as well as what NOT to do and it's just like he never hears us. :love: JK Bill Well sort of.

Over he years I have spoken to thousands of people that could hardley speak a word of english and it never kept me from trying to finish a good contact. I have worked many people that sounded like they were 150 years old barely able to make out what they were saying. IMHO anyone that ignores someone that they actually can understand simply because they have a speech problem is not much of an operator.

Another thought; what about a text to speech program? You type it talks.

There is an OP in Cuba that talks with one of the throat microphones, he is a little hard to understand but I hear him working 20 and 40 meter SSB the contacts usually take their time and slow down to make sure both parties understand each other.

This OP has always been welcomed into any QSO I have been part of or just listening to.

So the answer to your questions is most likely a big yes, ops will talk with you.

check Tigertronix

they have siglnal link for about $110 new or less...it runs on all windows or mac programs...It will do all digital modes,psk,packet,pactor,rtty,aprs...they are one of the best...i run mainly 3963lsb and 14652simplex...73s de n0zna/John

Off Pavement,
That sure brings back memories! We both started about the same time, and not that much difference in equipment either (Drake 2c after an HQ-100, same Ranger II). I figure if you did the 'little green room' with the FCC, the current tests with VE's shouldn't be a problem for you. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a testing site closer to you.

There are just too many other modes besides voice that are fun, so don't limit your self in that regard. You have a computer so most of those modes are certainly possible for you. There are enough of us that aren't exactly easy to understand that you shouldn't feel too lonely with speech problems!

Give it a shot!
- 'Doc

(Add an 'N' after the 'W' and a 'K' on the end and you'll have my original call sign.)

Howdy Doc... Now I wish I would have kept my old QSL collection... you might have been in there somewhere.

I hadn't really thought about all the other modes availabe now-a-days. Yikes... at the time I stopped operating, computers tookup at least a couple thousand square feet and required punch cards for most of their input. RTTY was pretty big then for amatuers if I recall correctly. Those Teletype machines must have really been a nightmare to keep running and though I don't really know, I bet they cost almost an arm and a leg too.

If there is a testing location closer, I sure don't know how to find it but I'm not too worried about it. I have a cousin I need to visit in Lincoln and I'm going to touch base with a childhood friend I found through Facebook that lives in Omaha, so the trip is multifuntional.

I'm not concerned about taking the exams. I'm one of those lucky folks that finds taking tests pretty easy for the most part. I've taken all the practive exams I can find and feel completely ready for the tech test... now I'm working on general and with a couple weeks of study time to go, I should be ready.

Off Pavement,
Grief, that's over 40 years ago and I have trouble remembering yesterday! The only 'card' I can remember from back then was a 'pink' one for a harmonic on 20 meters. I'm not sure that one would count, would it?
You're right, some of those old RTTY machines weighed a ton and were a real pain to maintain. Thankfully, I never had to worry about that.
The use of computers has certainly changed too. One we worked with in college took up a whole building and was the equivalent of a 'Vic-20' almost!
Almost all of those 'digital' modes can be done on a computer now, so if you have a sound card in that computer, you can do them. The input/ouputs can get a little confusing/complicated, but is certainly not a biggy. Most of them are actually being transmitted using SSB with the tones from the sound card, and is perfectly legal if done correctly (turn the mic off! :)). Depending on your interests, one or two of those modes can certainly be addictive!
And just because... While you're studying, take a look at the Extra practice tests, study guide, whatever. It is certainly not as difficult as it might seem. (And you don't have to remember all them sub-band edges!) The idea is to have fun, so have fun!
- 'Doc

Just curious where in Nebraska you are. BTW, the Nebraska State ARRL Convention is March 19, 2011 at the Lancaster Event Center in Lincoln. I know that an exam session has been held there in the past and it looks like they will be offered again this year.

If you're not far from Marysville, KS, we can offer an exam session prior to one of our monthly meetings.

On Feb 12 there will be a test in Grand Island, if that's close to you. PM me for details if you're interested.

N0NB - I'm located out in the country near Cambridge, NE. It's about 25 miles east of McCook, or going the other way about 55 miles from Holdredge. Marysville would be marginally closer than Lincoln, but I can multitask the trip and visit some folks I know in Omaha and Lincoln.

Actually, I'm getting pretty exicted to take the exams. Lincoln's club offers the tests every month, and frankly I hope be on air by the time the state convention is scheduled.

That doggone ebay... some pretty tempting stuff. What I need is a hamfest!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place