• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

View attachment 19403

as you can see there are options on the board to power the mic board from 12v weather it has the mentioned 7805 reg (5v reg) on the board in the pic or not is another thing plus it has solder point to add scanning buttons.
i am sure its a ecm insert but cant say for sure ..hopefully it is because i know the company that makes them has the crappest dymanic inserts on the market !
however the ecm inserts they use are very good (nice frequency response curve

time will tell
certainly not a mic that would sell here in my market ..no one likes power mics or so called nosie cancel mics (a real nosie cancel mic would have twin inserts out of phase or at least a adjustable rear open port not a single one with no adjustable port)..maybe they are faking noise cancelling with a audio highpass filter rolling off the road noise (but mudding the audio)

some one buy one and sweep it
Do you have a graph of the freq response? I might be interested in one of these things!

On edit, sorry, missed the part where you asked for a sweep.

Brett

Palomar SL41
SKU: 719962007018
$59.99

• Description

The Palomar SL41 combines modern engineering and technology with time-tested design to provide the professional driver with the ultimate noise-cancelling microphone.
    • Classic Rugged Design
    • Active Circuit Microphone with Noise Cancelling Electret Element
    • 6 Conductor, Dual Shielded Cable - Custom Palomar Made Cable
    • 16" Coiled Cable Section - Stretches to 9'
    • Over 1 Year Battery Life from Single AAA Battery
    • AAA Battery Included - Factory Installed
    • Industrial Grade Push-to-Talk Switch
    • Dual Mount - Machined Aluminum Button + Hanger
    • Wired for 4-Pin CB Radios

nope..and i dont want to buy a carton of them just to test one ..not my market
but i would like to see one swept just for giggles

I have one on order, but I don't have any way to sweep it to test the freq. response. I'm figuring if I don't like the sound of the standard element, I can swap it out for for one of the many other ones on the market, such as the Panasonic WM-61 for instance.

I bought one and talked to Eric about it. It is quality. At first it made my Galaxy 959 squeal with a small TS 350. Than I made some adjustments and I think I worked it in and warmed it up so that it stopped squealing. It works great now. It sounds a little deeper and a slight tin than the stock mike I have. It is better built. I get good reviews from radio checks. I am looking forward to more Palomar products. They have the best bang for your buck.

It is working well, and its all I use since my galaxy stock mic just conked out on me. But I have to turn the mic gain down to about a 3 or 4 to keep it from squealing. I don't know if when the battery loses juice over time, that I will have to turn my mic gain up. Its possible that my 959 is set at a high modulation to begin with. In any event it is working well and we will see how it responds over time.

Reactions: 2RT307
Hi, this is Eric Lewis with Palomar. We just created an account so that we can hopefully provide another level of customer service at the WWDX forum. It is great to see that the SL41 is getting out there and being talked about. I appreciate it very much! We hope to contribute to the forum and answer any questions that members have. I'll try not to get too wordy!

The SL41 is not a ceramic element, like the CR-577. The SL41 uses a noise cancelling electret condenser element that we had customized for the microphone. It is a true noise cancelling (bi-directional) ECM that is ported on both the front and back of the element. This is why the SL41 grill area extends out from the front case to allow for ambient noise to enter the front and back ECM ports at the same time and effectively cancel each other out.

The pro's to our noise cancelling ECM are sound quality and gain. Using an ECM we are able to have a much wider frequency response and sensitivity than dynamic mics. This means that on some radios you might need to turn your mic gain down, but even with your mic gain turned down I think you will get very favorable audio reports on air.

The con is that it does require a battery to universally work with any radio. However, my engineer designed the mic with battery conservation in mind and we estimate that a standard alkaline AAA battery will last 2 years under normal operating conditions. The battery is only there to energize the ECM during TX. Also, we used the most common battery we could fit in the mic - knowing that eventually the battery will need to be replaced.

We spared no expense in creating the SL41 and I think this will be obvious to people when the hold the mic in their hand. It is very sturdy and we made it to last. The SL41 was designed by the same engineer that designed the AR-3500 (for those that remember the Clear Channel days) - I am very excited to be working with him again. We are going to make some great products!

To end with a bit of 'insider info' - yes, I named the microphone for my dad. SL for Sam Lewis and 41 for the year he was born. The SL41 is the last product that he and I developed together before he passed away last year. Through a minor legal battle, I was able to regain the rights to the Palomar name a couple of years prior and it was our plan to launch this mic under the revived Palomar brand. It is my intention to make Palomar what is was when my grandfather and dad ran it.

Thanks and sorry for the ridiculously long post! As I mentioned, I'm new at this.

Hi, this is Eric Lewis with Palomar. We just created an account so that we can hopefully provide another level of customer service at the WWDX forum. It is great to see that the SL41 is getting out there and being talked about. I appreciate it very much! We hope to contribute to the forum and answer any questions that members have. I'll try not to get too wordy!

The SL41 is not a ceramic element, like the CR-577. The SL41 uses a noise cancelling electret condenser element that we had customized for the microphone. It is a true noise cancelling (bi-directional) ECM that is ported on both the front and back of the element. This is why the SL41 grill area extends out from the front case to allow for ambient noise to enter the front and back ECM ports at the same time and effectively cancel each other out.

The pro's to our noise cancelling ECM are sound quality and gain. Using an ECM we are able to have a much wider frequency response and sensitivity than dynamic mics. This means that on some radios you might need to turn your mic gain down, but even with your mic gain turned down I think you will get very favorable audio reports on air.

The con is that it does require a battery to universally work with any radio. However, my engineer designed the mic with battery conservation in mind and we estimate that a standard alkaline AAA battery will last 2 years under normal operating conditions. The battery is only there to energize the ECM during TX. Also, we used the most common battery we could fit in the mic - knowing that eventually the battery will need to be replaced.

We spared no expense in creating the SL41 and I think this will be obvious to people when the hold the mic in their hand. It is very sturdy and we made it to last. The SL41 was designed by the same engineer that designed the AR-3500 (for those that remember the Clear Channel days) - I am very excited to be working with him again. We are going to make some great products!

To end with a bit of 'insider info' - yes, I named the microphone for my dad. SL for Sam Lewis and 41 for the year he was born. The SL41 is the last product that he and I developed together before he passed away last year. Through a minor legal battle, I was able to regain the rights to the Palomar name a couple of years prior and it was our plan to launch this mic under the revived Palomar brand. It is my intention to make Palomar what is was when my grandfather and dad ran it.

Thanks and sorry for the ridiculously long post! As I mentioned, I'm new at this.
Thanks for the info, Eric.
Because you've revived the 'Palomar' name; any tube amps in the future?
Going to make more CR-577s? I read of a lot of demand for them here - seems to me.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to second (or third) the request above for a frequency response sweep of this mic, it seems to tick a lot of boxes for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.